X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spiffnme
    • Apr 2003

Cables...heard of these guys?

http://signalcable.com/index.html

I'm in the market for a pair of interconnects for my new amp. I normally buy $30-50 Monster's, but I've heard they are very over priced for what you get. I'd like to keep within that same price range. I like what I saw on their website, but are there some other suggestions?

This pair will run from my Rotel RSP-1066 to my Rotel RB-1070 amp, which in turn is powering my Axiom M60ti speakers.

On another somewhat similar note: I need to run a length of speaker wire to my new rears. (just upgraded to 7.1) The runs will be approx. 30' +/- each. I'd love to hear some suggestion for speaker wire as well. I'd like to keep it white in color, as it'll have to run partially up my wall. I also don't want anything exotic. Keep it simple. Plain old 12 or 10awg cable in a white jacket would be perfect. I just don't know where to find it at a good price.

I really don't want this turning into a Holy War over the benefits/lack thereof of cables. Please!

Thanks for the help guys.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
    All Daredevil, All the Time!
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I've never heard of that cable company before and since CatCables offers a discount to Club Rotel members a lot of us buy their product instead. I've got several cables from CatCables and they're extremely well built and sound great so you might want to take a look at what they have to offer and email Lex (doug) on what sort of pricing he can do for you.

As for the speaker cable if you shop around you should be able to find aome 14 or 12 guage flat white speaker cable that would do what you need for fairly cheap. Somewhere like partsexpress (see link on top of forum) should also carry it as well if you don't find it locally.

Comment

• spiffnme
      • Apr 2003

I've seen that flat wire...but is 16awg thick enough for a 30'+ run?

I'll email lex. Thanks.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

16 guage would be pushing it...I'd rather see you go with 14 or 12 guage for that long a run.

Comment

• spiffnme
          • Apr 2003

That's what I thought, but finding 12awg cable in white isn't easy. I haven't found any yet.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I've seen 14 guage in white though so it should be around...though I couldn't find any on the Parts Express site

Comment

• Danbry39
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2002

I have some Signal interconnects. I also have Rhino and Quantum (Doug's brand also). To me, Signal is a distant third as far as build quality and my Quantums are easily best. There also was a thread a few months ago where Frank of Signal Cables was called to task at Audio Asylum for advertising he soldered the connects to the wires, when, in fact, he was crimping them.

By the way, I was posting these same opinions on other boards before I became a moderator here. It's just what I believe. And, given that you're part of Club Rotel, there is that discount going on right now. :P

As far as the flat wire speaker cables, I know Best Buys sells it in spools, but I'm not sure what gauge it is. You might give them a call or visit their website. However, if Parts Express doesn't have it, I wouldn't think Best Buys would. I would contact Parts Express and tell them what you're looking for. Even if it isn't listed, they might be able to special order it for you. Their prices generally are quite good.

Keith
              Keith

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Well, 16 gauge will work ok, but always at this distance a little larger is better. This is what I would call designer bulk wire, it is a little scarce.

Since bulk wire really isn't my "thing", I am open to suggestions as the others are here.

As I told you via email, I do have some white cable on hand, that I actually purchased before going into the audio biz. If he buys the RCAs from me, I can work the other out for little of nothing. But it's not much heavier gauge than 16 either. I think it is 16.

Keith, thanks for the kind words about the Quantum SuperNovas. I know you call it like you see it though, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Lex
                CATCables
                QuantumCable
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• HowardGjr
                  • Jan 2003

Here is a link to flat 11 Gauge Speaker Wire that I think is still available in a white jacket. I ordered this cable (13 Gauge version) a while ago in white to wire in surround speakers.

Marantz, Yamaha, KEF, Focal, Polk, Def Tech, Denon, Home Theater, Speakers, Receivers, HDMI, Onkyo, Pioneer

If AC4L doesn't carry it with the white jacket, you can probably hunt around the internet and find it.

As for cables, buy Doug's (Quantum, Cat, ...) Well made and you can get exactly what you want/need. I've got a whole bunch of them.

Good luck on your search.

Comment

• Aeromos
                    • Jun 2003

Sorry for my ignorance guys. I'm guessing that the lower gauge # means thicker cables which translates to better signal transfer over longer distances. Can someone please explain this to me!!

Aeromos
                    Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                    My Collection
                    Aeromos
                    Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                    My Collection

Comment

• HowardGjr
                      • Jan 2003

You got it exactly right.

Lower Gauge == thicker wire == lower resistance. The longer the cable the greater the resistance. If you do a quick check on the internet, there are a number of places where tables have been provided for gauge vs. distance.

In speaker wire, resistance is bad. Just because it's not complicated enough just to consider resistance, the impedance of your speakers also plays a part.

Here's some technical mumbo jumbo .

As the wire resistance increases, it becomes significant compared to the speaker impedance. It will affect the areas of lower impedance values first and eventually will be audible. Speakers with small impedance variations versus frequency, and that don't dip below the nominal impedance, will be more tolerant of higher resistance in the speaker wire. On the other hand, speakers with large variations in impedance that dip below the nominal value will be much easier to notice. If the speaker has constant impedance versus frequency, the only change will be reduced output

This of course is only the beginning. Assuming resistance criteria is met, I don't hear much (any) difference in speaker wires. Other people do.

Comment

• spiffnme
                        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by HowardGjr
                        Here is a link to flat 11 Gauge Speaker Wire that I think is still available in a white jacket. I ordered this cable (13 Gauge version) a while ago in white to wire in surround speakers.

Marantz, Yamaha, KEF, Focal, Polk, Def Tech, Denon, Home Theater, Speakers, Receivers, HDMI, Onkyo, Pioneer

If AC4L doesn't carry it with the white jacket, you can probably hunt around the internet and find it.

As for cables, buy Doug's (Quantum, Cat, ...) Well made and you can get exactly what you want/need. I've got a whole bunch of them.

Good luck on your search.
                        Wow...thanks! That 13ga will work perfectly. It's even white.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"