X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • I'mListening
    • Jul 2003

I'm a believer!

I now am a believer in 2 channel stereo!

In the past I have always listened to my music in multi-channel stereo thru my Yamaha receivers. I felt that the envelopment of audio from all my speakers was great. The room was full of music...instruments would play from the front..the rear...the sides. Why in the heck would anyone want to listen to music thru just TWO speakers?

Just recently I sold the Yamaha. I made the next logical step into separates. Not being able to afford some of the very nice audiophile components I had to satisfy my taste with Rotel. All though not top end, the Rotel specs and price range provide a combination to be respected.

One day last week I spent the entire day and evening hooking up the two new separate amps and a new pre/processor. I treated my 6 year old B&Ws to new speaker cables and gold banana connects, also upgrading all my inter-connect cables for the DVD-A player, amps and processor.

By later that night I was exhausted, still I took out the trusty ol' SPL meter and balanced the audio levels to my sweet spot. After this, all I wanted to do was R E L A X ! A new friend of mine, an older gentleman in his late 70's had just given me three CD's earlier that day. He was treating me to three CD's full of contemporary Jazz/Blues as a gift for having him over a few nights before to sit by our watergarden listening to Santana, as well as a sneak preview of our theater.

I loaded the first CD with one of the familar names I recognized...George Benson. I sat back into the soft black leather recliner. Remote in had I check the audio settings on the Rotel...the default setting was 2 CH STEREO and the volume was about mid range. Hummmm....why not. I pushed play and waited. The disc qued to track one and began to play. This is when I noticed the difference. The imaging from the front of the room was exspansive and full, yet detailed and precise. I had never heard stereo like this before. The soundstage was so full I thought I had selected 3 Channel Stereo instead....I looked at the Rotel display and doubting its report I walked to the front of the room and placed my ears near the B&W center speaker. Only the left and right mains were performing. No way. I was absolutily astonished.

I sat back down in utter amazement. What had I been missing all these years. I crept the volume up ever so slightly and remotely dimmed the lights until only a warm amber glow illuminated from the wall sconces....I reclined the lounge chair...closed my eyes....and slipped into audio nirvana. I listened intently at each track...then the next dozen tracks from the second CD...then the third....

I went to bed that night still thinking of how much difference the combination of cables, wires and components had made. It was truly a nice experience to actually hear such an improvement. Now I am a believer!

Thanks for reading!

Enter The Cyberdyne Cinema

Darren
    Thanks for reading!

Darren
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Welcome to the wonderful world of 2 channel audio. ;x(

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Oh, you upgraded cables and didn't check with me first? I just can't catch a break. lol.

Well, at least your enjoying stereo.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Aeromos
        • Jun 2003

I'mListening,

I too now find myself listening to 2 channel more than ever. I hope to upgrade straight to separates (Rotel) very soon. After reading quite a few posts here in the forum, I find myself being more critical of what I hear. I can't wait to be in the same position as those of you already with the separates.

Enjoy the new toys!!

Aeromos
        Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
        My Collection
        Aeromos
        Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
        My Collection

Comment

• Danbry39
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2002

After reading quite a few posts here in the forum, I find myself being more critical of what I hear.
          Isn't that amazing how that goes? The better our systems get, the more we're able to observe what can still be improved or refined.

Congratulations I'mListening. I think most of us have experienced the same thing.

Keith
          Keith

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

I congratulate you with a banana. :banana: I hope to be experiencing something similar fairly soon myself!

CHRIS
            Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Darren, welcome to the dark side. Buwahahahahahaha!!!!! (in best Dogbert voice). Isn't 2-channel great? I've enjoyed stereo since I bought my first record (yes, that vinyl stuff) back in 1968 or '69. I'd drifted away from it - just a bit - in the last few years with the advent of home-theater and DVD's, but have re-discovered the passion with the purchase of a good external DAC for the CD player and a new turntable and phono-stage for the vinyl. Wow!

Enjoy. . . . :T

A couple of other members here that are "2-channel music" types are Lex and Burke Strickland. There's lots more, but can't think of them right now - not enough coffee.

P. S. I've got the Monkeys' I'm A Believer stuck in my head now.

P. P. S. Be careful! When Chris starts playing with the banana, things can get weird. :B

Edited to correct content.

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Danbry39
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2002

I thought the Monkeys did that song.

Keith
                Keith

Comment

• Brandon B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
                  Darren, welcome to the dark side. Buwahahahahahaha!!!!! (in best Dogbert voice).
                  What does Dogbert sound like?

And it was the Monkeys.

BB

Comment

• RedStep
                    • Sep 2002

I went to bed that night still thinking of how much difference the combination of cables, wires and components had made.
                    How could you go to bed after that revalation, pure audio narvana...Yes another sick puppy to join the fold of spending our kids college $$$....You wont stop here brotha :LOL:

RedStep
                    We are truly a product of the decisions we make
                    RedStep
                    We are truly a product of the decisions we make

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Okay, I stand corrected. The Monkeys. . . . ick. :

David - HTGuide flunky
                      Our "Theater"
                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• I'mListening
                        • Jul 2003

Okay, I stand corrected. The Monkeys. . . . ick. :

Wasn't it actually the Monkees?

Thanks for reading!

Darren
                        Thanks for reading!

Darren

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

The monkeys made a song called "The Banana"? Figures... :LOL:

Just kidding. Yes, they originally did the song. Neil Diamond redid it later, and others may have as well.

CHRIS
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• ronm307
                            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Chris Dotur

Just kidding. Yes, they originally did the song. Neil Diamond redid it later, and others may have as well.
                            If I'm not mistaken Neil diamond wrote it for The Monkees and recorded it himself later.

"A bug! Naaa, that's a feature."
                            "A bug! Naaa, that's a feature."

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Really!!!??!! I thought Neil Diamond postdated the Monkey's work. I grew up on Neil Diamond, so I'm a fan. I get all worked up when people tell me the UB40 wrote "Red, Red Wine". Grrr...

Same thing when people say "Yeah, Garth Brooks did so well when he wrote Shameless". That's a BILLY JOEL song, people!!!

CHRIS
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ludwig Van Beethoven
                                • Oct 2003

Darren,

Which Rotel models did you go with and what cable connections were used?

Thanks

Comment

• I'mListening
                                  • Jul 2003

I went with the RSP-1066...RMB-1075 and the RB-1055. Interconnects are Monster XP cables and a new Monster HTS-2600 for conditioning. The set up can be seen in my link below my signature.

Thanks for reading!

Darren
                                  Thanks for reading!

Darren

Comment

• Kevin P
                                    • Aug 2000

Hey, I'm a 2 channel fan too! Just one who rarely has time to listen to it, except through headphones at work. I'm still in receiver land but hope to move to separates in the future.

Yes there are times when I have to get up and make sure the center speaker ISN'T playing. You know it's set up right when that happens! 8)

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                                    My HT Site

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                      • Jan 2002

Okay... I'll be the outcast in this jungle of monkee's!

I've made it known that I'm a 90-95% movie watcher and listen very little to music on CD... I like concert DVD's and own many of them and love to watch them but just haven't listened to much "music only" since the vinyl days when I had my Thorens Jubilee.

When DVD-Audio and SACD came out I decided I would try listening to some music again.... maybe the hi-rez formats would bring the interest back to me.

Yesterday for the first time in I can't remember when, I listened to just music...critical listening. First I did similar to what "I'mListening" did. I put in the Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon Hybrid SACD and listened in 2 channel stereo through the digital outputs of my Denon 2900. (Actually it was unintentional because I couldn't find on my remote how to get my Rotel 1066 to switch to the MULTI input - I finally figured out that Andrew had it under 5.1 on his Pronto which is where I had copied it to on my MX-700 on page 2.) Okay... It was great! I had my recliner pulled up to the perfect sweet spot and I was amazed! BUT.... when I clicked over to MULTI on my Rotel 1066 I was even more delighted.... I felt I was in true paradise!

I listened to the Eagles - Hotel California on DVD-Audio and gosh it was so enveloping and perfect. I've been to 2 Eagles concerts and this was about as close to being there as I've ever heard.

The bottom line is multi format music has made listening to music a whole new meaning for me and I'll prefer it any day over 2 channel.

Now I just need more mulit format albums that I like to surface.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• SomaJoe
                                        • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Sonnie Parker
                                        Okay... I'll be the outcast in this jungle of monkee's!
                                        I guess I'm on my way to becoming an outcast too. I didn't really care much for the multi-channel stuff until I finallly took the time to set everything up properly. This meant purchasing an Outlaw ICBM (since I use 5 monitors) and spacing out my speakers perfectly equidistant from the main listening position to get around that fact that I don't have any hi-res time alignment capabilities.

And then ... boy did things change! Flipping back and forth on well recorded discs between 2 channel and multi-channel... there's really no comparison. I should mention I mostly like the multi-channel discs where the rears are mainly used for ambience. The SF Symphony is still doing their Mahler project and I've been to the symphony hall during some of the recordings. With the right setup, you can really be back in the symphony hall again... REALLY back. Granted, the two channel version isn't bad at all, but I don't tend to forget where I am as frequently.

[Sonnie, I agree that Eagles concert is recording is pretty amazing.

Joe's HT
                                        Joe's HT

Comment

• Bob
                                          • Jul 2000

When I had all my Theta stuff and 8 perfectly matched speakers I was really enthusiastic about getting my hands on multi-channel discs. Was I disappointed when I found that multi channel music has just the opposite effect from what I expected. Imaging and depth simply collapse when more than 2 speakers are being used. Thinking that SACD was the answer I went to a dealer in Bel Air that had a room with Meridians best electronics and speakers. Same effect, loss of imaging and loss of soundstage depth. SACD is very good in two channel though. It is starting to get closer to being as good as analog, and I hope someday it will be. Digital is so much more convenient. But, since it is still a inferior medium I will stick with the high rez system I have, and the tens of thousands of titles available.
                                          My high rez system:
                                          http://teresaudio.com/t-265.html
                                          http://www.musicalsurroundings.com/graham/grhm22.html
                                          http://audioresearch.com/reference_2new.htm
                                          http://vandersteen.com/pages/3alit2.html

Some of you may be surprised by my speaker choice. At one time I had four of these speakers, sold a pair and bought a pair of 5A's. I felt that the bass in the 5As was to pronounced even with all the controls that are part of the speakers make up. So, gave the speakers back to the dealer and kept the one pair of 3A Sig.

Comment

• David Meek
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

Joe, your loft is beautiful! ;x(

David - HTGuide flunky
                                            Our "Theater"
                                            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• SomaJoe
                                              • Jul 2003

Thanks David!

Joe's HT
                                              Joe's HT

Comment

• SomaJoe
                                                • Jul 2003

Thanks David!

Joe's HT
                                                Joe's HT

Comment

• Lex
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Apr 2001

Bob, good to see you back posting some.

Joe, that is a great space. You shouldn't feel bad you don't have a dedicated area, rather you should feel very proud with what you've done with your dual purpose space! I'm a dual purpose space guy myself. Though my space is nothing like what you have there.

Lex
                                                  Doug
                                                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Zed
                                                    • Jun 2003

Tell me if I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm a Believer is a Neil Diamond song the Monkees made popular.

My DVD Collection
                                                    My DVD Collection

Comment

• Mats
                                                      Special Member
                                                      • Jun 2000

I'm a two-channel type myself. Just sounds better, IMO. I'll save the multi-channel for the high-resolution material.
                                                      Mats
                                                      Mats Strömberg
                                                      Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
                                                      Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

• David Meek
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Zed
                                                        Tell me if I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm a Believer is a Neil Diamond song the Monkees made popular.

Zed, welcome to The Guide! Nah, no dead horses around here. It's interesting just how many songs have Neil Diamond associated with them in one way or another.

David - HTGuide flunky
                                                        Our "Theater"
                                                        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Zed
                                                          • Jun 2003

I never thought much about 2 channel sound until I got a demo with some Rotel separates and B&W speakers. Of course anything would sound good with that combination, but I was sold.

My DVD Collection
                                                          My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
                                                          😀
                                                          😂
                                                          🥰
                                                          😘
                                                          🤢
                                                          😎
                                                          😞
                                                          😡
                                                          👍
                                                          👎
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"