X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wilfred
    • May 2003

Sub selection

Sub mainly will be used for video application, but would like to have the option of moving it to my music system also. I started my search at HSU subs, due to the many positive reviews. Then, recommendation from a dealer pointed me to Vandersteen (which they also sell).

HSU is pretty easy to pick, but Vandersteen has two specific models: 2Wq for music (an external x-over between Pre and Power amp) and V2W for video (for .1 output only).

Does anyone here has experience on Vande subs? Using 2Wq for video application (no .1, but set front to large)?

BTW, are there some general guideline in selecting sub?

Thanks.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

As for guidelines..the old addage "there's no replacement for displacement" comes to mind Seriously don't get caught up in the myth that a 10" driver will sound tighter then a 15" driver...there's a lot of variables to consider including motor strenght and amp power etc.

I'm not very familar with the vandy subs but I'm sure they're quite good. The problem is for less money I'd be willing to bet you can get a better sub from another vendor. Some on the other online companies like SVS and Adire offer a range of subwoofers that also get rave reviews and are almost always much cheaper then the traditional commercial models. You might also try calling Kyle at Acoustic Visions and see what he can do for you. Personally I'd call Kyle and go with what ever he suggests.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

While the subs available from online vendors are a real bargain, and the ones I've heard from SVS are excellent performers, most of their models tend to be rather large, (take up a lot of space and are imposing to look at), which some people like. The Vandersteen subs are comparatively compact in external dimensions, although they still pack a wallop where it counts.

While the two Vandie subs are designed for emphasis of music OR movies, in reality either can be used for either role. The 2WQ is quite musical, and blends nicely with a number of speakers that are notoriously hard to match with a subwoofer. And the adage is still true that if a speaker sounds good on music, it will perform well on movies too. (If you are after maximum impact on explosions, be sure to take a sample of that kind of soundtrack to try out.) :>)

If you are auditioning speakers at Audio Concepts, they would probably be willing to hook up the Vandie sub at the same time to show how well it blends with the other speakers and how effectively it reinforces the bass. If you go with an online sub, you will probably want to wait to order until you have your other speakers set up at home since they give a 30 day home trial period (typically you pay for return shipping but not the speaker itself if you don't like it) -- but it isn't much of a trial if you don't have the rest of your system yet. :>)

Hope you find the right sub for your system.

Burke
      Spelling and grammar checked in MS Word. If you detect an error, please contact Bill Gates.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"