X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sfdoddsy
    • Sep 2000

Setting sub levels for music.

Just a question I've been pondering as I play with my speakers and sub.

When setting the sub level for music, should you try to match the volume with one main speaker playing, or with both main speakers playing?

Obviously doing it with both playing will result in a higher level for the sub.

Any thoughts on which is most accurate, rather than most euphonic?

Cheers

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
    Steve's OB Journey
  • Phil Rose
    • Aug 2000

I guess that I don't know the correct answer. I do know that after I set up my system using the standard HT calibration, I have to turn down the sub when listening to music to make it sound correct. What sounds right to you?

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

I think it's usually done with one speaker. At least, that's the way Avia seems to do it. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree with Phil. More than any other speaker, the sub output seems to be the one that is most reflective of individual preference. Like Phil, for music I prefer to turn the sub down a few Db's. For HT, I prefer it up a bit more so that I can hear/feel the slam during, for instance, action pictures. If you have Avia handy, callibrate it using that. If not, hopefully your pre-pro or receiver has test tones. Absent either of these, I'd callibrate it to a single speaker and adjust to personal taste.

By the way, I had a look at your DIY speakers. I'm awestruck!!! That's some pretty amazing stuff your building. I'm very jealous. I do wish you lived next door so I could drop by, rather than in Australia though. Same goes for that Adire Shiva based sub. That looks so good!!!

In fact, I'd advise everyone to spend an hour or so looking at Steve's gear, past and present. I'm drooling just thinking about it.

Keith
      Keith

Comment

• sfdoddsy
        • Sep 2000

Thanks for the nice words. Yes, it feels (and measures) more accurate to calibrate to one speaker at a time, I'd just never heard it recommended before.

Cheers

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
        Steve's OB Journey

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"