X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paul2102
    • Jul 2003

Turntable pre-amps?

Is there any way I can get my turntable (you know, the gadget that plays those old vinyl LPs) to work with the modern surrond processors such as the Rotel 1066? I have tried going through several inputs with no luck, and I understand I need a pre-amp.

Anyone else have any success using a turntable or have any recommendations on a good pre-amp?

Thanks,
    Paul
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Paul, welcome to The Guide!

I just purchased a Musical Fidelity X-LPS phono stage (TT pre-amp) about 4 months ago and couldn't be happier with it. MSRP is $249.00 if I remember correctly. One nice little feature it has is separate inputs for MM (moving magnet) or MC (moving coil) cartridges and a switch to set the impedance for whichever input is used. It's quite musical, doesn't obscure the music, has decent dynamics and a nice low noise floor.

There are other good ones out there, some less and some more (some a LOT more ), but this is the one I'm most familiar with. Good luck.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Many of today's pre/pros and receivers only have "line level" audio inputs suitable for direct connection of sources such as CD and DVD, but not the low level signals from a phonograph turntable. If the pre/pro or receiver has a "phono" input, in the past, it was is designed to accept the output from a phonograph cartridge mounted on the tone arm of a turntable for vinyl long playing records (LPs). However, some of today's units have a "phono" input, but it is for switching convenience only, and is designed to accept the output of a phono preamp.

The "phono preamp" (also called the "phono stage") takes a low level input (again as distinguished from "line level" inputs for CD, DVD, etcetera) from the phono cartridge, which, being a mechanical transducer, puts out a very weak signal. The phono preamp then takes the signal through some pre-processing including a boost of the signal strength to line level and adjusting the frequency response according to the RIAA curve. (When an LP is recorded, the highs are boosted to overcome high frequency noise such as "hiss" and the lows are boosted to overcome mechanical "rumble". On playback, these frequencies are de-accentuated for normal balance across the frequency range.)

So you would plug the connectors from the turntable to the inputs of the phono preamp and the outputs of the phono preamp to a line level input on the pre/pro or receiver.

A wide variety of phono preamps ranging in price from about $50 to "don't ask" ($15,000) can be found at The Needle Doctor, Needle Doctor where I bought my Lehmann Black Cube (improved) which they no longer carry, but which is available at LP Gear LP Gear . The Lehmann Black Cube has externally adjustable DIP switches to allow use of a wide range of cartridges including both moving coil and moving magnet designs. It is truly "high end" gear at a budget price (about $600) with exquisite sound. However, it is not necessary to spend that much to have acceptable (even quite enjoyable) sound from your turntable. (Ironically, my most recent pre/pro has a phono stage built in, but I still prefer connecting my turntable via the Lehmann Black Cube to a line input for more open, transparent sound.)

Burke
      Grammar and spelling checked in MS Word. If you detect an error, please contact Bill Gates.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Phil Rose
        • Aug 2000

Burke,

I believe that Elusive Disc is now the exclusive (or at least that what I heard) internet based distributor for the Lehmann products. That's where I got the PWX power supply to upgrade my Black Cube to the SE version which works quite well especially with OPA627 op-amps.

This is the link for Elusive Disc http://www.elusivedisc.com/

Comment

• RogueAngel
          • Jun 2002

I have a Rotel RSX-1055, which is very similar to your 1066. I use a Rotel RQ960BK phono pre-amp with my turtable with great success. I use a low output MC cartridge and have no problem with the noise floor. I am looking to upgrade the phono preamp sometime in the future, but the Rotel works well enough for me to not have to rush.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Comment

• paul2102
            • Jul 2003

Thanks for all the info. (what would we do without these forums?) Checked out some pre-amps, price range from $30 to thousands. I may try the Esoteric moving magnet preamp that I found for $70, or try hooking up my old Dennon main pre-amp somehow. I will also look into the Rotel pre-amp. That sounds like a good option, depending on the cost.

Thanks again for all your help!
            Paul

Comment

• Bob
              • Jul 2000

Don't forget two other things, a method for cleaning old records and a anti-static brush, these two things will make all the difference in the world in eliminating pops and hisses.
              Cleaning doesn't have to be fancy, your kitchen sink and a plate drying rack will do fine (yes, unlike CDs, vinyl is very durable and it is a urban rumor that the music "rubs off" with each playing). The anti-static brush you will have to buy, Audioquest makes a good one.
              I have records from the 30's that don't have a single scratch, pop. or hiss. By the way, if you are wondering why I have records from the 30's I am fascinated by the music that dealt with drugs in the 30's that slipped by middle class America and they had no idea what they were listening to.

Comment

• gd
                • Jan 2003

Here are a couple more:

Creek makes well-regarded phono pre's for $200-350... they can be found at Audio Advisor.

I use the Parasound PPH-100... output level is a little low, but sonic characteristics are very good... excellent value at $120.
                greg (gd to you)
                Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• paul2102
                  • Jul 2003

OK...
                  I purchased the Parasound PPH-100 for $120 at Audio Advisor. Received it in 2 days, and the sound is very good for the money and for my needs. Besides, after laying out tons of money for my other system components, this is about all I could afford.

Thanks again for all your help, (especially the last post, which I followed through and took the plunge).
                  Paul

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"