X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hal
    • Jul 2003

How critical is coaxial cabling?

Full disclosure requires me to tell you that I consider myself something of a cable skeptic. I can imagine some sonic impact from cables in the analog domain, but how much impact could there be in coaxial cables between a universal player (Denon 2900) and a HT receiver (Rotel RSX1055)? Is there some advantage/disadvantage to coaxial vs. optical?
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Full disclosure also requires me to tell you I am somewhat of a master cable builder and owner of CATCables.com, QuantumCable.com, ZeusCable.com as well as part owner of this forum.

I'd suggest reading here first:

Personally, I think coax can sound smoother, more refined, less digital than optical in my own system. It's also more durable.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Full disclosure? Not on your life! :

I do believe that there are audible and visible differences in various designs of cables. I haven't done the "quadruple blind while on sodium pentathol" test regimen, but I have heard and seen differences when moving back and forth between various makes of cables. Some were improvements and some were not, so it wasn't a case of hearing (or seeing) what I wanted to hear.

I prefer the sound of digital coax over that of optical. The optical had a more forward, somewhat harsh sound whereas the digital retrieved as much information but presented it in a more pleasing realistic way. Hope this helps somewhat.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"