X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Strumas
    • Jul 2003

Sonus Faber or B&W

Hello,
    I have been reading the forum for awhile now and I am finally looking to take the plunge and buy a new system. I will admit, I am not very knowledgeable on many aspects and I appreciate the insightful comments made by the members here.

I was all set to purchase B&W 803, possibly 802's if I felt in they were that much better, until I read about Lex and his Extremas. I started to do some research and Sonus Faber appear to be amazing speakers.

I will be purchasing a new system:

2 main speakers (will eventually buy the rest for HT application)
    Amp
    Processor

I am thinking of spending around 10k CDN on the speakers and 5-6K CDN on an Amp (I know I can always spend more, but the budget is not limitless)

Right now the main application would be Music (blues, jazz, folk, world beat and some classic rock) but eventually HT as well.

Do you think I would be better off with Sonus Faber (and if so Cremona's or Grand Pianos) or B&W (802 or 803).

Thank-you for your help and sorry if I did not provide enough info on my reqs.

nick
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

nick -

Welcome to the HT Guide Forum, and congratulations on your plan to finally take the plunge on a high quality music reproduction system.

Frankly, from the choices you've listed, you are going to have some very fine speakers in your system, regardless of your final selection. Both B&W and Sonus Faber have solid reputations, and each has a flock of avid (some might even say fanatical) adherents.

While reading about other speakers has opened your horizons for further investigation, I hope that rather than depend solely on the comments of people here (or anywhere else on line, for that matter) that you will base your decision on extended listening to the models in which you are interested, using music with which you are already very familiar that can help you explore the range and depth of the speakers' capabilities.

Some questions to have in mind while listening:
    • Are the highs well balanced with the lows? (IOW, no exaggeration of any portion of the frequency spectrum, and no diminishment of any part of the range, either.)
    • Can the individual instruments be heard distinctly as the kind of instruments that they are (instead of being a homogenized blend of undistinguishable sounds)?
    • Is it still pleasing to listen to music after an hour instead of it becoming fatiguing?
    • Does it sound like music being played by performers in the room (that's good), or is it just sound coming from boxes (that's bad)?

Ultimately, your own listening should be the deciding factor, since you will have to live with the results of your decision (at least until your next upgrade). :>)

Good luck and enjoy!

Burke
    Spelling and grammar checked in MS Word. If you detect an error, please notify Bill Gates.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Strumas, glad to hear I can have such a positive influence.

I've not really heard much of B&W's speakers. Just the listening session with the 801s, which I assume in Canadian money are probably close to 15 grand at least. While they were nice speakers. I'm not sure they convinced me to jump ship from Sf. I truly love Sonus faber speakers.

I've not really heard what I call a bad Sonus faber. Shocked huh? lol. I've not really heard the new Cremona line. My local dealer is taking a very conservative approach with Sf now, for some reason. He's only stocking the GP and lower speakers. I've challenged him to get Cremona, but not sure when or if that is going to happen.

I have heard pretty good things about Cremona. In fact, I considered the Cremona myself before finally setting my sights on the Extremas. I was able to purchase my Extremas for less money than the full size Cremona. At the time I started my search, Cremona Auditors were not really an option. They might be a nice option to consider, and in fact should allow you to about get your entire theater built speaker wise now.

I would read all I can about them before purchasing though, just to make sure. Can you audition them?

Sometimes there are good used buys to be had in sf. Keep that in mind as well. As always, buyer beware though.

Sf as a rule, are fantastic for chamber music, jazz, even lots of pop music. Not as ideal for rock or really hard driving music. That's just not their thing. They are a finesse' speaker. Though my Extremas will go loud. Not all Sf speakers are designed to be quite as dynamic.

Goodluck in your final decision. I'll help however I can.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Strumas
        • Jul 2003

Burke and Lex. Thank-you very much for your replies. I have been able to locate dealers where I can listen to all the models, unfortunately, the SF's and B&W's are at different stores.

I plan on talking all our music (this is a mutual decision, so WAF might factor in lol) and trying both out. I do tend to listen to a lot of different music, including some harder stuff like Clash etc so I am not sure how the SF's would do with that, but the more I look at them, the nicer they appear!

Now to arrange some demo sessions!!

Will keep you informed, and thank-you again.

Nick

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Nick, here's my suggestion. Take a Saturday, schedule an audition for around 10 at one store. Wrap up for lunch, go to lunch and talk about what you listened to, what you liked about it, didn't like. Then schedule a second audition at the other store, and put each favorite speaker through the same pace. Note what you like and dislike about them.

Then go home, sit down and ask each other which you liked better. Maybe even make a list by CD selection at each store taking notes about what you like and dislike.

I wouldn't pick to much music. No more than say 5 or 6 songs from various CDs that cover a range of your favorite music. If you listen to much more than that, it will be difficult to focus on what you heard.

I have a few favorite songs for listening tests. Generally about 3-5 and I can tell what I need to know.

Oh yeah, be sure that the electronics are at least fairly compatible level gear. Otherwise, your listening test could be biased.

Lex
          Doug

Comment

• Phil Rose
            • Aug 2000

nick,

From the B&W side of the tracks (802's, HTM1, 804's) I would have to say that the Nautilus is a very good line indeed! Of course I would say that but, I find them to very well balanced in response from top to bottom. Extended highs, full rich mids and a very smooth, well integrated bottom end. The bass won't rip a hole in your chest but it is all there and so very right. So, if your looking for that effect get a big sub or check out some different speaker lines. In my setup, I use the 802's full-range for music and crossed over to my sub, HGS18, at 60hz for HT. That way I don't have to worry about integration of the sub with the mains for music and can really get the bass slam for movies.

IIRC, the SF's use first-order crossovers and the B&W's use fourth-order Linkwitz-Riley crossovers which you can read about here http://www.trueaudio.com/st_lrxo1.htm. What this means is that the B&W drivers work over a narrower frequency range than the SF drivers. How does that translate into sound? I don't know however, I have heard of Theils, which use 1st-orders, frying mid/hf drivers in HT applications because of the additional power the smaller drivers were asked to handle. Just something to be aware of and I can say that I've never heard of a SF having trouble in HT.

I have heard B&W's described as bright and SF's as smooth and silky on the top end. This is just the way that the manufacturers have voiced their speakers. I do know that the N802s are used for mastering in studios and have a reputation for being ruthlessly revealing of limitations in upstream components. After getting the N802s I can attest to the revealing nature and was forced to upgrade my amp, pre-amp and sources.

On a general note, when choosing a speaker you must make sure that the speaker isn't too large or small for the room that you intend to use it in. If you want to use the N802 in an 8x12 room the bass will be too strong. The converse is true of using the N802 in a 24x66 room where the bass will be too weak. In both cases the balance of the speaker will be destroyed. If you have and use tone controls to try and compensate you will introduce phase distortion that can compromise the imaging from the speakers.

Unfortunately, I have never had the opportuinty to audition the SF line but expect that it is also excellent and defintely worth auditioning. One line that I did listen to when shopping for my 802's was the Dynaudio's. They were excellent but had a different overall balance than the B&W's which I didn't appreciate. Since that time however, I've listened to a friends home built speakers using Dynaudio drivers and absolutely loved them.

You must listen to both speaker lines, B&W and SF, to decide what is right for you. Both are first rate speakers. Listen to different models and don't assume that because they are from the same manfacturer they will sound the same. Also, don't limit yourself to these two lines just because of what you've read. Take the time to listen to many using the same material for each while paying attention to the rooms and equipment used in your auditions. Electronics are important from a synergy standpoint however, speakers are the MOST important since they really establish the basic sound of your system.

Most of all, have fun in your search!

Comment

• Bruce
              • Aug 2000

Nick,
              Right now the main application would be Music (blues, jazz, folk, world beat and some classic rock) but eventually HT as well.
              With that type of music, I might also recommend you audition some Dynaudio Contour or Confidence series loudspeakers.

Here is a webpage

Bruce

Comment

• gd
                • Jan 2003

Since the journey can be as much fun as the destination...

Try to audition these makes while you're at it:

Vienna Acoustics
                Dali
                Totem Acoustic
                Aerial Acoustics
                Monitor Audio
                greg (gd to you)
                Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Strumas
                  • Jul 2003

I just want to thank everyone for their imput. I agree, just looking is quite fun. I am trying to line up some auditions at local dealers.

BTW, I failed to mention I also like early 1980's music (Clash, Stranglers etc, I don't know if that makes that much of a difference)

Also, my room is an open concept kitchen/living room measuring 20 by 15 feet. My plan is have the speakers facing the narrow dimension. I am not sure how this will impact my selection, as I would like to be something I could take with me in the future as I do plan on moiving to a bigger place later on.

My plan is to choose 6 or so tracks (3 His, 3 Hers ) and just see which ones sound better to us and go from there. Again, thanks for the suggestions on brands, I'm trying to find nearby dealers as we speak.

Nick

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Good post Phil.

Now get out there and listen listen listen Nick !

Lex
                    (Subliminal message- Sonus faber Sonus faber Sonus faber)
                    Doug

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Ooooh. Well, since this has morphed into a "list your recommendations" thread :B if you can, give a listen (like Greg suggested) to the Aerials. I'm deliriously happy with mine.

David - HTGuide flunky
                      Our "Theater"
                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Strumas
                        • Jul 2003

Phil,

I am curious, want processor and amp do you use with your setup. I just listened to the 802's with a Lexicon setup (processor and amp). It was my first listen and it sounded great, but I will be doing more comparisons.

(guy at the store was a little dismissive since I was not keen on buying right away)

Comment

• Aeromos
                          • Jun 2003

Hey Strumas,

I may be of some help. I'm also in the process of auditioning speakers and have gone to some dealers already. Since we're both from T.O, I may be able to direct you to some dealers. Just specify what other speakers you're interested at auditioning. For B&W's I've listenend to them at Brentview Electronics on Mt. Pleasant. Another place that carries them is Audio-One on Steeles Ave.

Uncle Clive can probably give you some great suggestions as well as to where to go. He's also from T.O. and have given me a few places to check out. Enjoy the ride!! I know I am!!

Aeromos
                          Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                          My Collection
                          Aeromos
                          Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                          My Collection

Comment

• Phil Rose
                            • Aug 2000

Strumas,

I have my system set up so that I can do 2-channel and HT so I'll try to make sense of it for you.

2-Channel:
                            I have a Sonic Frontiers Line 3 pre-amp that has an HT bypass loop. For sources I've got an SME10 TT w/ Lyra Helikon through a Lehmann Black Cube SE. On the digital side I've got a Perptual Tech P1/P3 DAC (modified) that are fed by a Sony 300 disk changer and 7700 DVD player. (I want to upgrade the digital side to include SACD). A Yamaha T85 tuner and Nakamichi CR-7A cassette round out the sources. The power amps are Bryston 7B-ST monoblocks, one for each N802.

HT components:
                            I have the old but very good Sony TA-E9000ES pre/pro that feeds the Line 3 bypass and an ATI AT1505 amp. The amp has 2-channels (bi-amp) driving the HTM1 center speaker and one channel each for the N804 surrounds. One channel is unused. The HGS18 sub is driven by, and the Sony DVP-S7700 DVD feeds, the Sony pre/pro. I'm wanting to do MC audio someday so a new pre/pro will happen but, not in the near term.

It's an over the top HT system which I've kind of positioned for MC audio without having to get N802s all around which would have been the ideal setup. It really needs a dedicated room and FP to finish things off.

BTW, my friend with the home built Dynaudios uses a Lex MC-12 driving a Lex power amp (Bryston 4B-ST) and it is outstanding. That MC-12 is one heck of a machine!

As for your salesman, you run into all types. If you don't like him see about getting a different one or, if it's the attitude of the store, go to a different store. You have a choice.

Enjoy!

Comment

• Strumas
                              • Jul 2003

Well I finally got out and tested the Cremonas.

Wow, this is going to be tough!! They sounded quite similar to the 802's but the 802's were using a total Chord setup while the Cremonas were using a EAD setup. I am not sure if I like the EAD setup. I also tried out a pair of Martin Logans, but I made the mistake of doing it after I listened to the Cremonas doing HT. It was neat, but not the ideal thing to do when you are trying out spekers for music. Oh well, live and learn.

I plan to go back and listen to the Cremonas with a ARCAM set up.
                              Does anyone have experience with ARCAM?

I also plan to listen to the 802 with a Lex MC8 and maybe a Bryston amp, followed by a Levinson amp. Too bad I cant hear the Cremonas with a Levinson.

I did notice that the Cremonas only have one set of posts, is biamping that important of an option?

Well, off to round two!

Comment

• Lex
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Apr 2001

Biwiring can be important on some speakers, but typically, not "that" important. Biamping can make a larger difference.

The new Sonus faber are optimized to not have bi-wires, so in short, your sacrificing nothing here. In fact, your simplifying your speaker cables. BTW, I'd like to talk to you about your cable needs as this thing draws near.

Lex
                                Doug

Comment

• RedStep
                                  • Sep 2002

Strumas

Bi-Wiring some would say yes, some no...I don't believe it makes much of a difference (most use single cable and then jumpers anyway)

You have got alot of great advice from Lex and Phil...Take a deep breath, close your eyes and listen, which loudspeaker sounds best to you....I promise your judging between two great performers, and once you get them home, you'll forget about the other

RedStep
                                  We are truly a product of the decisions we make
                                  RedStep
                                  We are truly a product of the decisions we make

Comment

• Phil Rose
                                    • Aug 2000

Biwiring can be important on some speakers, but typically, not "that" important. Biamping can make a larger difference.
                                    True!

I recall hearing that Thiel designs his speakers with one set of binding posts because he doesn't want people to use two inferior amps to get high power. Instead, he would rather they use one really good, large amp with good cables to get the job done. It does seem like a sound approach to the whole bi-amp/wire question.

I bi-wire my mains only so I can get a lot wire diameter to them, 10ga total. I don't think that I'd notice the difference if I ran it all to one set of posts and jumpered to the next. On my HTM1 I bi-amp, only because I can, and it does give me a little more headroom but here again I don't think that it sounds any better than using a single amp.

It sounds like you've got yourself a couple of really good candiates there and its also good that you are trying different electronics. It's really important to match components. I've read really good things about Arcam so they must be worth a listen. Also popular are Pass Labs and Classe to add a couple more to your list.

Don't forget to notice what source components are being used as well. I heard a Wadia player direct to a Levinson power amp to the N802's and was just awe struck. Just way too expensive at the time but, it did sell the speakers.

Keep us posted!

Comment

• doodleboytoy
                                      • Jun 2003

Sorry to resurrect this thread. I am also currently facing the same problem Sonus vs. B&W and I am curious what speakers you finally got. My room size is 22 x 19 and I am choosing between:

Sonus Auditor
                                      Sonus Grand Piano Home
                                      B&W 804
                                      B&W 805

My room will be both for HT and music. If I do get the auditor I will most likely get a cheaper 5.1 set of speakers for HT (possibly 601's/600 or PSB + sub) since I cannot afford the cremona center channel for a timbre matched front. If I get the B&W, I'll match it with the HTM2 center and 600 as surrounds.

Any suggestions? Plan is to use Rotel 1080 (200 watt) amp for the fronts and 1055 as pre/pro plus amp for the surrounds and center.

Thanks

Comment

• David Meek
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Oops, double post. :?

David - HTGuide flunky
                                        Our "Theater"
                                        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• David Meek
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

Mike, I recommend going with the best speaker possible, especially for music, so spring for the Auditors. They'll be an excellent platform to build your system on, and later amp upgrades will only make them perform even better. Actually, this is exactly what I'm doing - speakers last year, amp this year.

P.S. I may not be the best person for this question as fiscal restraint isn't my best quality.

David - HTGuide flunky
                                          Our "Theater"
                                          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Lex
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Apr 2001

Mike, musically the Auditors will be the best of this group, most likely.

I'm a little confused though. how can buying 3 other speakers be less money than buying the Auditors and the Cremona center? How would you handle the amp connections, have to change for music vs movies? Just something to think about.

Were it me, I'd take this approach. Get something that will work "ok" to go with the Auditors. Proac centers are rated well with Sonus faber. Maybe a Sonus faber Solo or Picalo even. All Sf have soft dome, so the tibre won't be that bad a match, really. No, not perfect, but I run a solo with Extremas, and it's really not bad!

Lex
                                            Doug

Comment

• Strumas
                                              • Jul 2003

I have not been able to purchase as of yet. I must admit I have been flip flopping between the two and possibly looking into Extremas which is a totally different matter.

However, there is something about the Sonus faber that is musically more appealing to me. The B&W are great speakers too, so I think it comes down to taste on how you think they sound, but I really didn't find too much between the two. It may be I end up buying the last ones I listen too, because I always walk away impressed after having a listen to either one. Sorry I didn't clarify it for you, but as you can see I am still sorting it out too. I'll keep you posted.

Nick

Comment

• doodleboytoy
                                                • Jun 2003

Lex,

Here are my assumptions:

OPTION 1
                                                Auditor = 4,500
                                                Stands = 1,000
                                                Cremona cc = 4,500
                                                TOTAL = 10,000

OPTION 2
                                                Auditor = 4,500
                                                Stands = 1,000
                                                PSB Alpha fronts and center = 1,000
                                                TOTAL = 6,500

My plan is just to get one of those switches for the speakers and switch my mains back and forth when I listen to music or watch movies. he he he

Will the auditor timbre with the sf home center given that they have different drivers? And with that set-up what do I use for rears?

I will be using Rotel 1080 + 1055 gear for now. Still do not have the money for a killer amp and pre-pro. Will the Auditor sounds better than the 804 or grand piano with that gear? I auditioned the Auditor and Grand with Pearaux (is it spelled right) amp at the dealer.

I am working on a budget of around 8,000 for the speakers for my music + HT set-up. Just want to get the best bang for my buck.

Please let me know your experiences and it proves valuable to my purchase decision. THANKS

Comment

• doodleboytoy
                                                  • Jun 2003

Finally found a solution to my sonus auditor - 804 dilemma. GET A PAIR OF 803's ha ha ha :LOL:

Was offered a pair of 803's - 6 months old, flawless condition at $2700 (is that a good price?). I auditioned the 803's at the B&W store and WOW. The 804 is no comparison. Has the mid of the auditor and the bass of 804 (actually more bass).

Will check out the speakers this afternoon. Hope they are indeed flawless.

Comment

• Phil Rose
                                                    • Aug 2000

Mint N803's for $2700 is a heck of a deal!! :T

Comment

• doodleboytoy
                                                      • Jun 2003

Just got them he he he

B&W 803. cherry red, 6 months old, flawless with only one tiny 2mm scratch on the top that is hardly noticable unless you use a flash light and view on an angle - $2,600 only.

Now the next job is to shop for an amp. Any suggestions? I will be using 600 for my side and rear surrounds. Hope it will work well.

Comment

• Phil Rose
                                                        • Aug 2000

$2600 is even better! Congratulations!

My room will be both for HT and music. If I do get the auditor I will most likely get a cheaper 5.1 set of speakers for HT (possibly 601's/600 or PSB + sub) since I cannot afford the cremona center channel for a timbre matched front. If I get the B&W, I'll match it with the HTM2 center and 600 as surrounds.

Any suggestions? Plan is to use Rotel 1080 (200 watt) amp for the fronts and 1055 as pre/pro plus amp for the surrounds and center.
                                                        600's as surrounds is probably fine however, I've read of folks not liking the HTM2 as much as the HTM1 for matching N804's and higher models. Apparently, the timbre of the HTM2 is slightly off since it really is an N805 without the FST midrange driver of the HTM1. You should listen to both with N803's to hear how seamlessly images pan across the front. You might think that the HTM2 is just fine.

The Rotel 1080 for the N803's is probably a fine match. Many of the Nautilus speakers dip to 3 ohms near their port tuning frequencies which will require some power to drive but you should be fine with the Rotel. Try it and listen to see what you think. You might eventually decide that changing the pre/pro will make more of a difference than the amp.

Comment

• David Meek
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2000

Mike, congrats on the 803's! Please keep us up-to-date on the amp you choose and let us know how it all sounds when together.

David - HTGuide flunky
                                                          Our "Theater"
                                                          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• sfdoddsy
                                                            • Sep 2000

Nice writeup on the Extremas here:

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
                                                            Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• Lex
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Apr 2001

Interesting write up, I'll have to read all that.

Thanks Steve.

Lex
                                                              Doug

Comment

• doodleboytoy
                                                                • Jun 2003

Just got B&W 803 speakers and now trying to find amps that will match. Any suggestions?

So far my options are as follows:
                                                                1) Rotel 1080 + 1055 pre/pro
                                                                2) Musical Fidelity A3.2 pre and two A3.2 amps (bi-amped)

How about cables? Any recos?

Comment

Working...
                                                                😀
                                                                😂
                                                                🥰
                                                                😘
                                                                🤢
                                                                😎
                                                                😞
                                                                😡
                                                                👍
                                                                👎
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"