X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

Leap of faith

I am planning on pulling the trigger on a new turntable at the end of this week that will do my new phono stage justice. No, not getting rid of my Clearaudio Sigma Wood Cartiridge, just the rest of the TT. I have been investigating turntable options for about a year, not really all that serious about change until now. With one of the best tube pre amps and phono stages now in my rack it doesn't make sense not to have a turntable that can do them justice. I am torn between the Teres 255, which I have some familiarity with or taking a big leap in faith and going with the new unproven Teres 340.

Sumo wrestling is a sport deeply rooted in Japanese culture, offering a unique blend of athleticism and tradition. While the sport itself is fascinating, the betting landscape surrounding it is

It is a tough choice, plus there is the issue of what arm to go with. I sold all my Theta gear without even having to bother advertising it, along with all my extra subs and center and surround speakers and have plenty of money for either turntable and still enough left over for a AR CD3 player, which is the only cd player that I have heard that I can listen to after playing vinyl. Still not interested in SACD players, not a believer in the idea that some day there will be significant software available, not to mention the quality of the music still can't compete with records and isn't half the fun.
    So, what would you guys do? Go with a proven product or take a leap in faith?
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Bob, do you like the sound of a 40 lb. wood platter? If so, take the leap! You are fortunate enough to be in a position to choose between several IMPRESSIVE turntables, so why not push the envelope? Reasoning being that if you like the "Teres" sound, and they are investing their blood, sweat 'n tears in this new statement 'table, wouldn't it follow that they would NOT take a sonic step (or leap) backwards? P.S. I'm not the best person to ask for fiscally sane guidance. . . .

Also, do you have a dealer that can "front" this beauty for you? If so, it's almost a no-brainer.

Speaking of beauty, here's a shot of the 340 for everyone to drool over. :drool:

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bob
      • Jul 2000

Actually, I don't know if I like the wood or not. I have only experienced the Teres 255 which has a acrylic platter loaded with lead. I plan on trying to talk to some of the owners of the 265 which uses a smaller wood platter and see if they are happy with them. As you probably know, mass can really benifit a TT and 40lbs of wood and lead sounds good to me. I think I read that the complete table is 130lbs which is a pretty good amount of mass.
      As far as dealers go, there are none. Since there inception demand has outstripped supply and the owners sell direct, they don't need any dealers.

Comment

• Phil Rose
        • Aug 2000

Bob,

Nice looking table!! One concern that you might consider is the dimensional stability of wood to humidity. That would change the size of the platter, microscopically, and cause the table to run slow. Probably nothing to worry about but, if your super critical.... There are many great tables out there and the new modern ones are just amazing in performance compared to the "old standbys". I found that out when I replaced my Thorens TD126mkII with an SME10.

Good luck in your search

Comment

• RogueAngel
          • Jun 2002

Bob,

If you don't go with the 340, you'll always wonder...... did I get the best I could afford?

Just a thought ..... and one that has caused me to spend more nearly everytime I buy something.

Bobbi

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Wow that's a work of art...the fact it plays music is a bonus 8O

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

It sure is beautiful Bob! I would guess it would be a great investment for album play for sure.

Lex
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Bob, I think Bobbi (Rogue Angel) summed it up best. If you don't go for it, won't you always wonder if you did the right thing? That's been the deciding point on some major decisions in my life and so far it's worked out for the best.

David - HTGuide flunky
                Our "Theater"
                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"