• Apr 2001

My new Mark Levinson 336 amp

Mark Levinson 336 2 channel amplifier.

Published review: 336 Review

Weighs in at 155 pounds (dry)
    350 watts per channel @ 8 ohms.
    700 watts per channel @ 4 ohms.
    1400 watts per channel @ 2 ohms.

balanced and unbalanced inputs. PHAST home automation connenctions, as well as dual 1/8" phono trigger connections. 2 sets of binding posts for shotgun by wiring. Standby, master off, active modes.

It's a lot of amp. A 5 hour journey to pick it up. Not without it's moments. I almost got trapped in a collision between traffic with a 70 mile an hour stop! 8O Somehow I slid, then made it to the grass median to finish my slide, thus avoiding the car in front of me. Scary. Lucky for me, I had put my seat belt on a while back. Another car 2 cars back did the exact thing I did. I didn't have the 155 pounds of thrust in the back, as it was on the way down. Lucky.

I got home about 12:30 Fri night, and rested. Saturday morning, I got up, enthused about getting it out of the truck, but alas, no help. So, I proceeded to research the shorting pins which I didn't get, and built a pair of Shorting XLR connectors with pins 1 and 3 crossed with solid sivler wire. I'll need that for home theater in unbalanced mode at least for now. I may opt to use the analog bypass on my Lexicion MC-12, so that I can only run unbalanced to it, at least until I get my MC-12 upgraded to the balanced version, if I do.

I actually set this mother up by myself, not an easy task, I assure you. I never lifted it all the way up. I was a bit creative, but it was still a TON of work. I lowered it off the tailgate onto a plastic carton thing, then lowered it from there to the ground. Carted it to the steps, slid it off the rail on the dolly onto the porch. repeated procedure over threshold of house. Flipped it end over end into the living room. Getting it out of the box? Some work! I finally got the foam underlayment picked up at about 25 degrees, and tilted the box on it's side while holding the amp and foam. I then slipped it down floor level and slid it out of the box. Then laid styrafoam blocks down, laid it on those on the fins on side, removed base protective foam, finally once flat on the ground, it was a bit more manageable! I got it close to the Lovan stand, walked it into position, then angled the stand, and flipped it onto it in one motion, not easy, but I did it! 155 pounds, by myself. I had a friend that let me down 2 times, or I would have had help.

The pics are average, but get the point across. The initial reaction queing up Nora Jones was: Dynamic with presence. It was as if Nora stepped out into the room! I'm about ready for another listening session, after building 3 pairs of cables.

I had my sights set on a pair of used 33H. But the price of admission was just to great, even used. At any rate, I've got a great amp here, that will satisfy my cravings for quite some time I think. The 336 is now obsolete, I believe.

Review forthcoming in a separate thread, so stay tuned.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • KS
    • Jun 2002

Double post, sorry.

Ken

Comment

• KS
      • Jun 2002

WOW! That is one serious amp. What did it replace? Congratulations on your new addition!

Ken

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Ken, it replaced a Proceed HPA-2. The Proceed is a great amp, but it's no 336, that's true enough.

I'll be using 1 channel of the Proceed HPA-2 (250 watts) for my center channel likely to give it more impact and presence than the AMP5 125 watts, and the other channel for one of my subwoofers. and then I'll let the Parasound amp handle the other sub. I've got some setup issues to contend with first. Where to put the Parasound amp, lol. I'm going to hoist the HPA-2 on top of my subs where the Parasound is now as soon as my muscles recover from the strain of yesterday. :LOL:

Lex
        Doug

Comment

• Trevor Schell
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Congrats on the Amp Lex!!
          I like the specs as they double the wattage exactly with each segment of OHMS..

Did you get a great deal on that beast??

Trevor
          My HomeTheater S.E.
          Sonically Enhanced
          C5
          Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Did you get a great deal on that beast??
            Yeah he did...I hear it only cost a soul, an arm, a leg and a right nut :B

Seriously Doug why doesn't it have 5 way binding posts for banana plugs?

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Well, Trevor, I'm sure I didn't get the best deal ever on one, but then it cost me 22.00 to pick it up, plus my time, instead of over 100 in freight or sales taxes if bought locally. According to average sales price, I got it for over 400 less than that figure. but then, the lowest price one sold for over 500 less than my price. But who knows, that one may have had a big ding on top of it or something, no box or manual, I can only speculate.

But either way, I think for an amp that cost around 10 grand new, slightly less than 50% of that cost is not to bad at all.

LOL Andrew. :LOL: your right, half my nuts. Gave up the other half on the Extremas, so I'm basically nutless, lol.

As far as bananas, real mean use spades anyway Andrew. :LOL: But seriously, I use spades at the amp end myself, and bananas at the speaker end. so, it works perfectly for me, except the WBT spades do have a minor clearance problem with the wing nut design binding posts. You can work around it, but it does take a little fiddling.

But now, I am bought out for a good while, that's for sure.

Lex
              Doug

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Very nice Lex!!! Congrats on the new piece.

And I'm glad that you made it back without a scratch. It sounds like you were very lucky to not be involved in the accident.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

John, thanks a lot, glad you like it.

Yes, myself and several others all very lucky. I don't think anyone actually hit anyone, but it sure was close. Traffic was horrible! Needless to say, I wanted to make some time, since I didnt' even head out until 6 that evening. Traffic was bumper to bumper 70 miles an hour. I did have some slack in front of me, fortunately, or I would have bought the farm! Had I been making a cell phone call, changing a CD or something, it would have been bad. I reacted quick, and in this case absolutely necessary. Lesson re-learned, don't be distracted in traffic like that. It only takes a second to be toast. :#

Lex
                  Doug

Comment

• LarryB
                    • Dec 2001

Lex:

Congrats on your new baby!

Larry

Comment

• Rock Dog
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2003

Congrats Lex, nice looking chunk of weight there. 8O

If I had your money, I'd urinate on mine, and put it in Halllmark cards to relatives I hate.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• Aeromos
                        • Jun 2003

My goodness, that is one huge amp!! I'm surprised getting it inside the house didn't give you a hernia. I normally watch more movies than listen to music at home (80-20, maybe even 90-10). The more I read about how much importance you guys place in your stereo listening, the more and more I'm getting pulled into the dark side :yeah: . Good for the ears but may not be too good to my wallet !!

Aeromos
                        Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                        My Collection
                        Aeromos
                        Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                        My Collection

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

Thanks Larry, Thomas, Aeromos.

Aeromos, the thing is, when you run a dual system, improving the 2 channel experience sometimes improves my theater experience as well. So, both worlds benefit in the case of the amp. But admitedly, it does take 2 channel to a new level not even approached previously. Such detail and imaging, amazing.

Lex
                          Doug

Comment

• Bob
                            • Jul 2000

Very nice, Lex. That should make your Sonus Fabers really sing.

Comment

• David Meek
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Lex
                              when you run a dual system, improving the 2 channel experience sometimes improves my theater experience as well

That's what I found, too. I upgraded my L/R mains to the Aerials specifically for what they did for my music listening, but I've really noticed an improvement in HT viewing - especially with regard to "filling out details". I can't wait to hear what better amplification will do!

David - HTGuide flunky
                              Our "Theater"
                              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Danbry39
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Sep 2002

I'm available for adoption Lex.

Keith
                                Keith

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"