Just picked up the Harman Kardon CDR20 player/recorder (initial impressions)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Just picked up the Harman Kardon CDR20 player/recorder (initial impressions)

I've had this unit for two days now. My primary reason for getting it...to record my albums.

The CDR20 resides with my theater rig (see profile for associated equipment). I have been using the dvd player via digital coax to playback cd's and have been satisfied with it. So imagine my surprise to hear better clarity coming from the H/K. Which is also connected via digital coax. I guess the biggest surprise for me has been, a transport making a difference!!! I have been of the 1's & 0's camp. This is my official notice of a camp change! 8) I can play cd's louder as the soundstage seems to just move closer to me, as oppose to actually getting louder. And all the instruments seem to sound very natural. This was a nice plus being, it was not my reason for the purchase. I did try the CDR20's dac's. While they did give a wider soundstage, the sound was not as clear/smooth as when using the receivers dac's.

The primary reason of the purchase of course is to record. And thus far I have only completed one disc. I used the turntable as my source for this disc. The CDR20's really shines here. Easier than cassette decks.

The disc that I recorded has very good sound quality. And has played in each player I have tried it in without a glitch.

To say that I am happy with my purchase would be an understatement. However, I must add, what I've experienced has been a step in the direction to better sound. I cannot say that the improvements are show stopping. But, they are there none the less. And I now understand more as to the reasons, dedicated pieces yield better performance.

Den side, som du forsøgte at se, blev desværre ikke fundet. Fejlen kan skyldes, at siden er blevet slettet, eller at adressen (linket til siden) er forkert.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Congrats John. It's always nice when a new component lives up to your desires.

So, were you concerned about your albums longevity, or did you just want your music in a more portable format?

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Thanks Lex!

I must admit to being pretty excited.

So, were you concerned about your albums longevity, or did you just want your music in a more portable format?
      I was more concerned with insuring my having the music. Vinyl is great and I play them all the time. But, I was always worried with kids and now a new puppy, to their safety. 8O As like many, I own quite a few that would be tough to replace. Having it as a portable format is a nice plus of the process though!!! :B

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Me too, John. I purchased my Yamaha CDR-S1000 for the exact same reason - to preserve my albums. I hope you have as much fun with yours as I've had pulling old vinyl out and listening to it as it records. Good luck!

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Hey David,

I actually listen to my albums quite a bit anyway. But, I agree it is always enjoyable when doing so.

I haven't heard much about your Yamaha. I understand that you are pleased with it as a recorder. How do you like it's cd playback?

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

After living with this unit for a few weeks, I thought I'd add my thoughts.

As far as it's performance as a cd player:

I've hooked up the analog outputs. And must admit to prefering the dac's of the CDR20 over my 27tx Elite. At first, this was not the case. The Elite's dac's are smoother in sound. However, the CDR20's dac's do a better job at making the soundstage more accurate and, the instruments are more realistic. Drums (which I think are the toughest to reproduce) sound more like....well drums!!! :LOL: As does piano and guitars.

As a recorder:

I have yet to find a problem with this unit. It is simple to use and I am totally satisfied with it's performance.

If you are looking for a solid unit, and this has the feature set that you desire, you'd be hard pressed to find a better unit for the money.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"