X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spiffnme
    • Apr 2003

Energy Veritas 2.2 vs Axiom M60ti

The usual disclaimer applies...not scientific, yadda, yadda, yadda. (Though we did have a switcher to make changes immediately, and volume levels were controlled)

OK...many of you know I've been demo'ing new speakers for awhile now. I even went so far as to buy a Radio Shack 4 speaker switcher to bring home. This past week I bought a pair of Energy Veritas 2.2 bookshelf speakers and I also was able to get a hold of a pair of M60's. I've been listening to both all week.

I finally made a decision and bought a pair of Axiom M60ti's. I'm bringing my Veritas back to the Good Guys today. It was not an easy decision. Both speakers had their pros and cons. IMHO, here are those pros and cons.

Bass - Not much of a contest here. In the lower levels, the M60's just kicked the Veritas butts. But it's to be expected. The M60's are large floorstanders and the Veritas are bookshelves.

Upper-Bass - This is more tricky. I've always found bookshelf speakers to be much more clear with better separation in the upper-bass region than floorstanders. I asked Alan about this issue with floorstanders and he suggested that it was mostly due to the fact that floorstanders are going to be reacting to the floor itself where as bookshelf speakers do not. So, being the nutty guy that I am, I thought to myself "Why not put the M60's on stands?"...so I did. And you know what? It worked! The upper-bass cleared up quite a bit. The lower end suffered a bit, but I preferred the clarity and separation I gained. So with the M60's off the floor, I found they were pretty much even with the Veritas in this range.

Midrange - Here's where I have to give the edge to the Veritas. Vocals, and horns were richer and smoother with the Veritas. I found horns had more resonance, they felt just a tad more real. Vocals were smoother. In comparision, vocals on the M60's sounded a bit thin and slightly harsh. Nothing offensive, but in comparison to the Veritas they just weren't as nice. Horns on the M60's held up a bit better, but lacked that extra richness that the Veritas gave them.

Highs - M60ti is the hands down winner here as well. The Axioms had far more detail and separation in this area. One particular thing that really made me smile was a disc of Chinese drums. (you know those giant drums!) Upon impact you could hear the mallet strike the drum, not just the resulting boom. It sounded so incredibly real. The Veritas lacked that initial strike.

Soundstage - Another win for the M60's. I think this is where having the Radio Shack switcher helped a lot. Upon immediately switching you could hear the sound just "open up". The Veritas sounded compressed and "closed in" in comparision.

Look - Looks are completely subjective. I'm not the hugest fan of Axiom's look. Though the Veritas aren't the best looking speaker either. I feel both are rather bland. I'd score them equally on looks.

Build - As nicely as the Axioms are built, the Veritas are even better. Large, very solid binding posts - slightly offset from eachother to make connections easier. The speakers themselves are solid as tanks.

Overall - Though I hate giving up that wonderful richness in vocals that I could have gotten from the Veritas, all of the other benefits of the M60's simply outweigh that. And as I said above, though they aren't as rich (vocals) the M60's are certainly not offensive. I also don't like the idea that Energy has set the MSRP on the Veritas at $1500 - and yet when it's time to unload the Veritas to make room for their new "I" series, they can sell them for $749. That just tells me that the original markup is simply gouging the consumer. The Veritas are an incredible speaker, but NOT a $1500 speaker. The excessive markup of the Energy's (although I personally didn't pay it) also contributed to my decision to stick with Axiom. I prefer to support a company that has a more consumer friendly business plan.

So...with that, I have a pair of Boston Cherry M60ti's on their way to me now!

If anyone has any questions, just say so.

gear used:

Rotel RSP-1066 pre/pro
    Rotel RB-0175 amp (120x5)
    Pioneer 656A (dvd/cd player)

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
    All Daredevil, All the Time!
  • efarstad
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2001

Thanks for the review...and it's what I have heard elsewhere too. Having Energy speakes myself I know that they have a more "laid back sound" compared to the Axioms...which I also own. Interesting on the "get the speakers off the floor thing." Just goes to show you how much speakers interact with their environment and why they ALWAYS sound different when you get them home...and why home tests are always best!

Have fun listening to your new gear! :T

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

Comment

• Aeromos
      • Jun 2003

Did you have to pay for the speakers first in order to try them out? Or did the dealer allow you to test them first at home? Sounds like you really did your homework. I'm also in the process of comparing speakers at the moment. So far I've been really impressed with Monitor Audio Silver Series and KEF's.

E, it's amazing how many different speakers you have. Don't you also have the ML's for your dedicated home theatre? I take it you have more than one set-up at home.

Aeromos
      Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
      My Collection
      Aeromos
      Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
      My Collection

Comment

• efarstad
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2001

Aeromos, I recently put my Martin Logan SL3's in my theater room, replacing a pair of my Energy C2s. I still have a pair of Energy C2s as my rear surrounds, Axiom QS8s as my side surrounds and Energy AC-300 as my center channel. In my family room I have Home Theater Direct Middies and in-ceiling surrounds and Energy Sub for our theater up there....so I don't have that many different types but do have two rooms for movie watching....though quite honestly the family room theater is not where we go if we're "serious" about our movie watching!

There are other guys around here that have had or have a lot more speakers then me....my good buddy Mr. Pratt comes to mind! :P

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"