X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Nautilus 801s

I had an opportunity to hear the B & W Nautilus 801s at a local hi fi store this week. My first impressions were that they were very good speakers. Retailed for around 11K I think.

They sure were LARGE. Very formidable appearance. Not sure the look is really up my alley, but I guess different strokes. They were connected via a Levinson integrated pre-amp/CD player, a nice piece to a Levinson 432 amp. All nice stuff. I'd guess an 11K electronics setup. 22 total package, not counting sub they had connected. I would think the 801s could stand without a sub, but maybe not for the lowest octaves.

Nice audition anyway. Maybe I will take back a few of my own tunes next time to get a better feel for their capabilities.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

You aren't considering replacing the Extremas are you? 8O Once you go back with "your" music, it'll be interesting to see how they compare to the Extremas.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Oh no, I am not considering replacing my Extremas at all! I'm always curious to learn about new gear, even if I am not interested in it for myself. That way at least I can talk intelligently about it. how many opportunities do you get to hear speakers like the 801s, Revel Salons, etc?

My store won't carry anything above the Revel's prices though. that's for sure. Our town wouldn't support anything higher much. Well, for the most part.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Digital Bob
        • Aug 2000

I dunno. Lex... with a habit like yours, some pusher always seem to find the right product to feed it.

Of course me on the other hand, I can quit anytime I want to.... :LOL:

dB
        dB

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Hi Bob, haven't seen you around in a while. Good to see ya back.

Yeah, we can ALL quit any time we want to. Uh huh. Yep. :nonod:

:B

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• jaakan
            • Dec 2002

The 801 is a great speaker but only with the right power amp.
            Say Krell, Classe, Mark Levinson yea, etc, No cheap low-end stuff.
            High current, Clean sound, what is sometimes called bass control, be able to handle swing in load ie: 8 ohms to sub 2 ohms and recover.

Did you say they connect a sub inline with them? It doesn't need a sub have them disconnect it the next time your there.

Comment

• KS
              • Jun 2002

A friend purchased a pair of N801s a few years ago. They are very good but he almost built a new house trying to place them in his room. They are very hindered by room boundaries and need allot of space.

My friend actually had a some kind of sound technician come in with quite a bit of equipment to do the set up. They removed a couch and two tables from the room to get the sound right. Needless to say his wife was mad beyond mad.

He has a Levinson front end but I don't know the specific components. Overall one of the best systems I've heard.

Ken

Comment

• jaakan
                • Dec 2002

OH, the WAF: Wife Approval Factor.

The 801 has a very low WAF, i'd say 12 out of 100.

Comment

• LarryB
                  • Dec 2001

And now a moment for the opposing viewpoint:

I do not care for the 801s (nor the 802s, nor the new 800s), and I know many audiophiles who feel the same way. While these speakers can play loudly, and do sorta-okay with most of the frequency spectrum, they do not merge the music into a cohesive whole. All-in-all, I find listening to them quite unsatisfying, especially considering their hefty price tag.

Larry

Comment

• RedStep
                    • Sep 2002

I do not care for the 801s (nor the 802s, nor the new 800s), and I know many audiophiles who feel the same way. While these speakers can play loudly, and do sorta-okay with most of the frequency spectrum, they do not merge the music into a cohesive whole. All-in-all, I find listening to them quite unsatisfying
                    8O Picking myself up...I have listened to ALOT of diferent types & brands of speakers (as all of us have) and have to say the B&W 802s are one of my favorites. Cohesive whole??? I have to say LarryB you are in the small minority, What may I ask are some of your favorites???

RedStep
                    We are truly a product of the decisions we make
                    RedStep

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                      Former Moderator
                      • Jan 2002

Wow, this is the first time I've heard anyone disagree with the 800 series. I've heard them myself driven by Classe' Mono blocks and again with Mark levinsons mono blocks, I prefered the Classe' amp as I like nice warm sound. Compared to the Maggies, I don't think you'd need a larger room do you agree?
                      Not to get off topic but, Larry, what would be one of your favs? I'm curious too

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
                      CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• LarryB
                        • Dec 2001

Redstep and Unlce Clive:

I should begin by emphasizing that personal taste in speakers is just that: personal taste. As such, I hope you don't take my viewpoint as a personal attack, as it was not intended as such.

While B&W 800 Nautilus speakers are amongst the most widely popular speakers in the "mainstream" (for want of a better word) audiophile community, there are many individuals who feel as I do. If you go to high-end audio shows and ask around, I am quite certain you will have no trouble finding individuals who do not care for the B&W sound, and who will not hesitate to say so.

It is also of interest to note that, despite its popularity, B&W speakers are surprisingly under-represented at shows. Admittedly, there are a number of reason for this. First, B&W rarely has it's own room(s). Second, their speakers are expensive and they are unlikely to provide loaners. Accordingly, small electronic manufacturers may choose to show their wares with speakers from other small manufacturers, thereby sharing the costs. I present these reasons in the interest of fairness; however, it is also quite true that many manufacturers of electronic equipment simply do not like the sound of B&W. I know this first hand, not by heresay.

As for my own preferences, here are some manufacturers whose products I think highly of (in no particular order):

Von Schweikert
                        Ref 3A
                        Audes (probably the best sound for the money, IMO)
                        Sonus faber
                        Vandersteen
                        Avalon
                        Kharma
                        Lumen White
                        DeVores Fidelity
                        Magnepan
                        Sound Labs
                        Quad
                        Green Mountain
                        Alon by Acarian

Regards,

Larry

Edited, to add additional speakers to the list.

Comment

• RedStep
                          • Sep 2002

I wasn't trying to snap at the disagreement LarryB, just a little shocked...and you are correct personal taste is just that. And I must add I know it's not popular to embrase the 'mainstream" and your post of mfgs is impressive but also some quite pricy (Khrama, Avalon etc.) Makes me wonder your concern at B&W prices. I'm probably not qualified to comment, I do know I really like the way they sing. I also liked the Wilson Audio Sophias and the SF GPHs and for the life of me I don't know why I'm telling you this. I'm just amusing myself :thanku:

RedStep
                          RedStep

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"