X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spiffnme
    • Apr 2003

refoaming speakers

I have a pair of Snell Accoustics Type K/II speakers which need to be refoamed. Anybody know where in the LA area I can get this done? I don't trust myself to do it myself.

Thanks!

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
    All Daredevil, All the Time!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Craig, you may want to post this over in the Mission Possible DIY area, too. Jon lives in the Livermore area so may have some good ideas.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Well, unless there's a DIYer in LA that wants to help him, I guess the post is in the right place. Have you checked the yellow pages under Audio, stereo? I know there's a place in my town that will do this sort of thing. Maybe in LA too.

But it's true the guys in DIY might come closer to knowing. Even if they are to cheap to actually pay someone to do it. :LOL:

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• spiffnme
        • Apr 2003

Will getting them refoamed effect their sound?

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
        All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

Originally posted by spiffnme
          Will getting them refoamed effect their sound?
          If they sound like crap now that the surround foam has deteriorated, "refoaming" them with Gillete Foamy will NOT improve their sound. :>) However, if you find the correct foam material for your speakers and apply it properly, it will affect their sound postively. Of course, refoaming will not make a 1973 design speaker sound like a 2003 design speaker, (although I don't think that model of Snells are much more than ten years old, if that), but refoaming should pretty much restore their performance to the capabilities of the original design. Should sound as good as when they were new, assuming everything else is OK -- no blown cones or fried cross-overs, etcetera.

Good luck!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Rock Dog
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2003

Forgive my ignorance. But what is "refoaming" Does it have to do with thte material inside the speaker to deadin (sp?) the cabinet, or are you talking about the outside ring of the drivers themselves?

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

Thomas -- It's the second one --

Originally posted by The Speaker Doctor

SPEAKER REFOAMING

In refoaming a speaker, only the foam surround on the cone is replaced. (The foam material that connects the rim of the cone to the speaker frame.)
              Over a period of time ( usually 3-10 years), the poly-foam suspension or surround on a woofer or mid range speaker will "dry rot" or disintegrate. When this occurs, the speaker will usually sound distorted, lose its bass response, and buzz or pop.

http://www.speakerdoctor.com/refoam.html They are just one of many speaker "refurbishers" out there and I have never used their services, but I posted their URL because that is where I got the quotation explaining "refoaming"

Burke.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

"Gillette foamy". Oh, so that's what I've been doing wrong!

Oh so funny Burke, I'm busting a gut here. Good info later though with the definition. So, I guess it's true, sometimes you do have to wade through crap to find answers. lol.

Thomas did post about a place in LA in Mission Possible that does all sorts of speaker repairs.

Lex
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"