Adire sub with shiva driver with DT300 or AVA250 amp?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Perry
    • Mar 2003

Adire sub with shiva driver with DT300 or AVA250 amp?

Hello everyone

I am thinking whether I ought to get myself an Adire subwoofer. Can anyone give a view about a subwoofer built with the following specs:

88.5 liter closed enclosure (down-firing design)
    Shiva 12" driver with an
    AVA 250 amp or as an alternative DT300 amp.

It is the alternative, i.e. DT300 that is troubling me, it costs more but would the cost-benefit ratio justify the additional expense of more than USD $100++. DT300 uses a Class D. I worry about the distortion problems associated with this class of amps, i.e. class A. Are these problems things of the past?

Other equipment: Paradigm Studio 40s, Paradigm Studio 20s with Studio CC in a 5.1 set-up. Room size 21 by 15 (feet). Music 50%; HT 50%.

Look forward to your views.

Best regards

Perry
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Perry, is this an existing Adire product, or a DIY sub using Adire components?

If it's DIY, I think we want to move this thread to Mission Possible... If it's a production product, what's the model name?

Thanks,
    Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Have you seen this project?

EZSub14 On the CSS site you can pick a larger box if you want then the 28L one I went with.

Comment

• David R.
        • Apr 2003

Im having the same dilemma, AVA250 or DT300? hmmm

But only i think i have decided to build a larger, 130L Ported shiva sub.

Comment

• Perry
          • Mar 2003

Lex

I don't really know whether there is a finished production model from Adire but all of these components are available from them and there is a hobbyist offering to build it for me.

Anyway, I think my post calls for a discussion of relative merits of Class A amp as opposed to other classes of amps available for such an application.

Therefore. to my mind I was doing the right thing posting it here where I expect the discussion to have regard to more than mere practical aspects of D.I.Y. projects. Many persons who have no interest whatsoever in D.I.Y. projects might have knowledge and experience about these amps.

However, if I am out in my reckoning, my apologies.

Best regards to all

Perry

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Perry, I wasn't busting your chops or nothing. Just thinking about where you might get the best response. that's all.

Did you make a decision on the sub yet? Shiva's a great driver, I'm sure it will perform well for you.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Perry
              • Mar 2003

Hi Lex,

Sorry for this late response. I have not been keeping up with the latest in the forum owing to pressure of work.

I have decided to go for a Tempest driver with a DT300 amp (made in Germany) in a 122 liter sealed enclosure and it is now is under construction.

As for the AVR I am still haggling with the dealer over the price of RSX 1055 and Paradigm Studio 60, Studio CC and Studio 20 for a 5.1 set-up.

Best regards

Perry

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"