X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Exotic or Exhorborant, you make the calls

When your bored, and want to see some eye candy, or laugh at some rediculous looking speakers, go here: My appologies in advance for pop-ups. I guess he's got to pay for the site somehow...

Memorable quote from the site:

Signed under a Cello master duhickey

The Cello Audio Suite from $5,000 to $50,000 depending on the cards you install. No longer made. But, Cello has changed hands from Mark Levison to some other dude. Mark Levison (the man) now owns Red Rose (gay name if you ask me). How can that compete ith a name like Cello or Krell or Pathos? A name is everything. Why not call Red Rose......Red Kickurass.
    Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Rock Dog
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2003

Yeah, that site is just plain nutty. I've been through every page, I keep a roll of paper towel by the machine. (too wipe up the drool, get your heads out of the gutter :roll: :LOL: )

I'm especially found of this one. "The French Guy"

The second row from the bottom, those two tier amps. $40,000/pc Cary's.

You do the math!!! ;lx 8O :nutkick:

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Yeah, Dog, I saw that rack. I had to pick myself up out of the floor before proceeding, lol. Please, if I get to that point, would someone please just shoot me, AFTER I've listened to it for a few months? Why? Well, it couldn't get any better, so why not go out on a high note? Come to think of it, lots of high notes and low notes, lol.

I'd been here before too, but saw it pointed out again, so it was worth the tour again. I'm going to send him my Extremas and MC-12, if he still updates, maybe they will be added. Ok, let me re-phrase, I am going to send him photos of them! LOL.

He might go ga ga over 903 disc CD/DVD capacity combined too, or the Velex subs Wait, 904, I forgot about my single player. That makes all the difference, lol.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
      Doug

Comment

• Rock Dog
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2003

Lex,

You wouldn't want to "do yourself in" after that Cary setup. You'll want to be around for the upgrades. :LOL:

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Upgrades? 8O I couldn't even afford the replacement tubes for that setup, lol.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
          Doug

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

BTW, I did the math, that's 640,000 US$ just for the Carys! Not counting all his other gear. Those amps on top are not small potatos.

I'd guestimate his system at 1.5 to 2 million. LOL.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
            Doug

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

I liked Page 30 http://www.exoticaudio.org/PAGE30.html -- looks like the system in the Basement project is using some great speakers for the L/R mains, but I'll bet they would sound a little better if they were pulled a bit further away from the wall. :>)

As for the ultra-mega bux systems on other pages, I wonder how they actually sound. Spending a ton of dough, and even having it designed and set up by professionals doesn't guarantee that the results will actually sound better than something costing orders of magnitude less.

When Cello was still in business they had an operation here in Houston that included a specially constructed showroom which was very attractive but almost totally "dead" acoustically so all the sound was coming from the $500,000 of electronics and speakers, not room reflections. Our local HT group spent a Saturday morning there, and came away glad that we hadn't spent our own half mil on that particular setup.

Despite having an incredible number of drivers arrayed around the room, the upper frequencies sounded hollow and shrill, and the midrange rather weak, while the upper bass was kind of boomy. The only impressive part of the sound was the deepest bass, and they were using two Velodyne FSR-18 subs, not anything with their own name on it.

OTOH, those who hear the system at the local Audio Concepts (in their "Area 51" demo room) come way quite favorably impressed. They spent about that much (500 G's) on the whole thing and the results are more in line with what you'd expect for that kind of investment.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

I guess that's why Cello went out of business. Just not that many people that want marginal sound for 500K, lol.

Your right though, just because you spend a lot, doesn't necessarily create synergy. I've also heard of some very expensive speakers that don't score that great a marks to many people.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                Doug

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"