X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • create
    • Apr 2003

ADIRE SUBS vs COMMERCIAL BRANDS

Paralysis by analysis. That's my problem. I've been contemplating a sub purchase for months to complete my system:

Marantz SR8000 (upgrading later this year to pre/pro)
    Mirage Omni 250's fronts
    Mirage Omni 50's surrounds
    Phantom Center Channel

My room is 18x20', wood floors and one doorless stairway in the room. 50% HT/50% Music (Mark Knopfler, Norah Jones, All American Rejects, Linkin Park, etc - wide range).

My 80yr old parents live in an apartment adjacent to the HT :roll: so playing a reference levels is a no-no most of the time. So, I'm hoping to find a sub that will give me goosebumps watching GODZILLA but won't neccesarily shake their dentures out next door!

Which brings me to my topic. Reading various posts ADIRE seems to get kudos. Kali, Dhruva, Dharman - how do these compare to HSU VTF-2/3, Mirage OM200, Sunfire True, Titan, etc? What are the advantages and disadvantages of the name brands vs 'built to order'? Crossovers? Quality of components?

Please help free me from my chains! I need to make a decision, already!
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

I haven't made direct comparisons. Maybe REL should be on your short list. Very musical, more than big bang and for you big bang doesn't sound like it will go over well. M&K also good.

Adire will have price advantages over some of these, and quality cabinetry as well. HSU is ok. Myself, I don't like a tube look though.

Well, I can't give you the comparison data your after. Certainly, supporting Adire is supporting this forum. I can tell you that the Shiva driver is a very good driver. I've got 2 of those. The Tempest, bigger and badder. So, many good choices at Adire.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

I'm hoping to find a sub that will give me goosebumps watching GODZILLA but won't neccesarily shake their dentures out next door!
      Now, that's going to be a tall order no matter what you decide on- the lower the frequency, the more it tends to propagate. In fact, I have a moderately wide range system in my bedroom (flat to about 30 Hz, NOT with a sub), and the really low LF (below 45 Hz) isn't especially noticable or strong in the bedroom, but in the hallway or next room it's another matter altogether! This is especially true for sound effects, like dinosaur stomps and pod races, because they have components going to below 20 Hz.

Adire has a very wide range of components and finished products- at the more "budget end, for smaller rooms, a Shiva or two will work very nice, at a very reaonable prices. The DPL12 is an excellent driver, with optimizations for diopole usage, but also works well in moderate volume sealed boxes.

The more "modest" Adire woofers, with 14-16 mm Xmax, work well with 150 to 250 watts.

Their new XBL2 driver in the Sadhara is absolutely state of the art in linearity and throw- I'd have no qualms putting it up against any 12" driver out their, and most 15", especially if linearity and low distortion are important criteria.
      Take a look at the comparison between the Brahma 12 and others at this page...

Going to the ultra long throw drivers raises the power requirements from 150-300 watts to 300 - 1 KW. Or more.

Now, built to order is available in several performance levels. The biggest difference is that to extend the excursion and output capability, you must have a longer voice coil, which means at any one time, more of the voice coil is out of the gap. There's a bit more to it than just that, of course, or you wouldn't see drivers built like this:

But getting that extra 3-6 dB of performance does exact a cost penalty in efficiency and construction, if you want to do it with a single driver.

Even the highly regarded Blueprint 1503/1203 series is not as linear (I have some of them, and they're excellent drivers).

OTOH, if you have the lucre, other products you could look at include the Areal SW 12, and the Paradigm Servo15. Products like the Servo 15 perform very well, and use motional feedback to overcome driver linearity and enclosure size issues. But, this performance comes at a price. Rel also has a very good reputation, though more music than ultimate HT oriented- focus is more on the above 25 Hz performance. Not inexpensive, either.

Maybe you can find some contacts in your area who have gone with Adire products to audition them. I understand the reluctance to purchase something sight unseen- if that's the case, sticking with a commercial product you can audition is your safest bet. Since I build my own using drivers from Adire, Blueprint, Stryke Audio, etc, the auditioning thing is what I do when the project is all finished! :W

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Chip
        • Aug 2001

Take a look at the newest addition to the SVS lineup - The PB2+

If your looking for super clean, high output with 900 watts w/duel TC Sound's 12" drivers and variable tuning points (25,20,16hz) in a box solution... look no further IMO. This sub will be in my finished basement HT sooner than later..

Chip Engle

"Concrete ain't a spectator sport"

<a href="http://www.htguide.com/bilder/index.cfm?fuseaction=arkivbilder&userid=0&selected userid=336" target="_blank">My HT
        Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• Perry
          • Mar 2003

Hello Jon & everyone else

I am thinking whether I ought to get myself an Adire subwoofer. What do you or anyone else think of a subwoofer built with the following specs:

88.5 liter closed enclosure (down-firing design)
          Shiva 12" driver with an
          AVA 250 amp or as an alternative DT300 amp.

It is the alternative, i.e. DT300 that is troubling me, it costs more but would the cost-benefit ratio justify the additional expense of more than USD $100++. DT300 uses a Class D. I worry about the distortion problems associated with this class of amps, i.e. class A. Are these problems things of the past?

Other equipment: Paradigm Studio 40s, Paradigm Studio 20s with Studio CC in a 5.1 set-up. Room size 21 by 15 (feet). Music 50%; HT 50%.

Look forward to your views.

Best regards

Perry

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"