X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Robbie
    • Aug 2000

CD Player cleaning

How do folks clean (internally) their CD players. Mine is beginning to skip pretty bad and I want to clean/lubricate the drive mechanism. :?:

Are there any secrets and what do ya'll use to lubricate it. I tried a lube in the past with teflon in it I got from RS but after a year or so the teflon started to seperate in the bottle. Would a light machine oil work. I noticed the factory used a light grease of some kind.

Thanks

Robbie

Lex, yea I've been away for a while, puter broke on me and haven't had much surf time at work.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Robbie, I take mine in to a dealer every couple of years for a "real" cleaning. I'lll run a Discwasher cleaining CD through the unit about once a year, but that's it.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

I wouldn't think skipping would be fixed by lubing the drive mechanism unless it's really sticking bad, in which case you'd have trouble seeking to specific tracks. If the lens looks clean the pickup might be on its way out.

Still, I had a 1986-vintage Technics portable which I cleaned and lubed a few times with no ill effects. If you know what you're doing it can be done, though it may not necessarily fix your skipping problem. A light oil or grease, spread on with a swab, should do the trick.

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
      My HT Site

Comment

• Robbie
        • Aug 2000

It really only skips on the first or second track. I can help it along by fast forwarding back and forth a few times when I start then all is ok. That's why I think its a lube thing. I'd take it for professional claening but its a carousel type mega player and I don't want unload all those disks to take it to the dealer. Figured I could just remove a few disks around the mechanism and gently clean/lube the slide area. As I implied before I have done this before with my old Sony unit with OK results just didn't like the lube I was using but it did come in a real nice bottle with a syringe type aplicator which made it real easy to get into tight places.

Funny this is a Sony unit also. My JVC DVD player is older and still no problems with it. Wonder if this is a Sony thing?????

Robbie

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"