X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ht_addict
    • Dec 2002

Rotel RSP976(v2) or Yamaha RX-V1400. Which do I keep? HELP

I just traded out my Rotel RMB-1095 and Monster HTS1000mkII for a Rotel RMB-1075, Monster HTS5000mkII and Rotel RSP976(v2). Now I have a dillema. Currently I'm using a Yamaha RX-V1400 as a pre/pro, but now I have this 3week old 976. If you had to choose which one would you keep. HELP

ht_addict
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Now that is a pickle. The Rotel likely sounds better but the Yamaha is likely more up to date. Have you listened to both in your system? Are any of the advancements in the Yamaha a bennefit to you?

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• Bam!
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2004

Pickle ain...

Well let`s see if we can bite our way out of this...

The Yamaha is a 7 channel processor and 7 * 110 watts I believe...

The Rotel is a 5 channel processor only.

Yamaha is Bright (for me anyway)

Rotel is smoother but doesn`t have the bells and whistles of the YAMAHA...

HMMM. what do you want to do...5 channel or 7 channel ++ ++

Hope this doesn`t leave you sour!

Bam!
      Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Gordon Moore
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Feb 2002

Yamaha...

Maybe the safer question is what is your primary source of listening...

2 channel or movies?

If it's movies...I'd say hands down Yamaha.

Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS Neo:6and DTS 96/24

(I believe it has DPLIIx as well)

THX Select processing
        27 surround programs (47 variations) with SILENT CINEMA and Night Listening mode

Silent Cinema is their version of Dolby headphone.

Component video up conversion:S-video/composite signal conversion to component video signal
        YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer)

If 2 channel is more prominent...maybe Rotel...but let your ears be your guide.
        Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• ht_addict
          • Dec 2002

Since I only just did the trade I haven't had the chance to hook the 976 upto my setup. That should happen either Friday or Saturday. I purchased the Yamaha to replace my Marantz AV560 pre/pro not with the intention to move to 6.1 or even 7.1 but more because I had the urge to upgrade and a pre/pro was way out of my price range. My setup is 99.9999% used for movies and my room setup does not allow for a rear center channel. For movies would the processing capability of the 976 keep up with the 1400.

ht_addict

Comment

• ht_addict
            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Gordon Moore
            Yamaha...

Maybe the safer question is what is your primary source of listening...

2 channel or movies?

If it's movies...I'd say hands down Yamaha.

Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS Neo:6and DTS 96/24

(I believe it has DPLIIx as well)

THX Select processing
            27 surround programs (47 variations) with SILENT CINEMA and Night Listening mode

Silent Cinema is their version of Dolby headphone.

Component video up conversion:S-video/composite signal conversion to component video signal
            YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer)

If 2 channel is more prominent...maybe Rotel...but let your ears be your guide.
            To be honest I only use the Yamaha for DD/DTS in straight mode.

ht_addict

Comment

• Bam!
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2004

Yello!

Well if it is 99.99% cinema......

Yamaha hands down....but man is that sound ever bright...what`s up with that? or is it just me ops:

Bam!

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Feb 2002

Bam have you heard the newest Yamahas? I'm not quite sure what you mean by bright (are you referring to tone?).

I think bright is a relative and very subjective term.
                In fact I think that's just an old stigma that got attached to Yamaha starting with their pianos (since they made pianos before anything else).

Maybe the Yammies you heard were mismatched with their speakers?

Maybe the room was too reflective?

Define bright. Too harsh? Too clear? What exactly do you mean by bright?

Sometimes warm could mean too muddy sounding...again subjective.

Like I said before...let you ears be you guide, because I'm pretty sure the Yammie will beat the Rotel on spec...the rest is subjective and no one here could tell you for sure one way or the other without having a listen to the all the links in the chain and how they interact.

The opinions will simply become: "pick this one because I support brand x and they've always been good for me so all their products are golden".

ht_addict...it becomes a tough call. If you don't really use the Yamaha for its other modes then it becomes a more even fight. If you don't see it offering you much else, then a quick listening test between the 2 should clear up the confusion.

Yamaha and Rotel are both well regarded for build quality.

Rotel probably has a better community support...as club rotel comes to mind.

Yamaha is well regarded for having killer DSP's and great movie modes, however, a 2-channel purist would never invoke 'em.

decisions decisions

Comment

• Bam!
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2004

Gordo!

Gadzoucks dude..It sounds like you are little wiffed...sorry I didn' t mean my comment of brightness, to offend any one...

Define bright. Too harsh? Too clear? What exactly do you mean by bright?
                  I have heard the new Yammies...and...if they weren' t so sharp sounding I would have definetely bought one. You are right they have all the bells and whistles for cinema sound and are well made for their price points.

I just Find that sound aggressive...no matter what speakers I have heard a Yamaha play....whatever room....It is overly clear...and quite simply agresses me.

That's my opinion only....Ht addict asked my opinion...and I answered Yamha would be the winner....except...!

Cheers bud.

Bam!

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Feb 2002

Bam...don't be so gun shy, I'm not offended in the least.

It's just that those words: bright, warm etc... are thrown out there the way paint colours are referred to as warm and cool. They try not to talk about paint colours in those terms any more because it brings with certain stigmas that say stay away from that because it is too bright/warm for a certain room...like it's a bad thing.Hey if hot pink turns your crank, who am I to argue. Agreed though that the colour of sound tends to be more rigid in general public opinion then the ever shifting trends in the colour of paint. Sound is a very subjective thing. Really sound and colour should reflect the inidividual and not public opinion, that's all I was trying to say.

Now the thing is, if you were painting to sell...you'd paint the house very bland or white so that your personality doesn't sway the opinion of the buyer. If HT_Addict is simply looking for something that he can resell quickly I'd say buy the most popular reciever and don't even listen to it. Just know that you'll get good re-sell.

But if he is concerned about his sound (and anyone with the moniker HT-Addict must be)...I'd say it's going to take some listening tests to see which one works best.

To you, the Yamaha sounds bright and that's cool. But one persons crap is another persons gold.

Really none of this is an issue any ways because he's using it as a Pre/Pro.

Comment

• ht_addict
                      • Dec 2002

Hey guys I didn't mean to start a fight. Unfortunately I will be keeping the Yamaha as the trade I made was undone. The new owner of the 1095 was getting a groundloop hum and he couldn't solve the problem. So I was more than glad to get my amp back. THough I also get the hum I was able to remedy the problem by using an optical cable and a piece of tv coax to ground my receiver to my Monster power center. I have contacted Rotel again thanks to Andrew so its in their hands what they'll do. If two people using the same amp in two different households with two differenet setups get the same problem, there must be a problem with the amp. Only time will tell what Rotel will do.

Kevin

Comment

• Bam!
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jan 2004

Hey guys!

Ht_addict....you didn`t start any fight...Gordon and I can have different opinions and I respect that...when you say unfortunately you had to keep the Yam...I hope you were not referring to my broght statement :roll:

Yamaha`s are great receivers, amps, pre/pro`s...I am not mocking them in any way...

Take care duders!!!

Bam!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"