X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

Fail-Safe!

I tried to post this last night, but I couldn't get on the site...oh well it's a new day.
    Last night I wanted some time alone, so I decided to watch something the rest of the family wouldn't care to see...Fail Safe. For them (my family) it would be to Dramatic, to slow, and to black and white.
    Once again my memeory serves me well, I've always liked this classic drama, but having not seen it in many years, I didn't realize just how classic it is, or maybe as I get older I just appreciate great performances...and this movie is loaded with them. From Walter Matthau's dark evil professor, to Henry Fonda's perfect president, to Larry Hagman, who adds a certain "nervous feel" to the movie.
    This may be the second best anti-war movie...next to Dr Strangelove, and even though this two movies are very different, they are also alot alike.
    The only thing about the whole movie that doesn't wash is the use of aircraft, B-58 hustlers for "vindicators", and fighters that go from Delta Darts to F-104 starfighters and back, but that really takes nothing away from this wonderful movie.
    The video transfer is well done, no dirt, and very few age artifacts, one quick 3 second cut away of a jet making a bank turn looks horrendous, I don't know if the whole movie originally looked that way, but if it did, Columbia/ Tri-Star deserves a huge "at-a-boy", because it is now very clean!
    The audio a glorious Mono, no big deal, it's the story and acting that count here, and the mono track is very clear, with no hiss.
    If you've never seen this classic you owe it to myself...you will not be disappointed.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Reviving a 15 year old thread. Don't remember how this ended up in my Netflix queue, much less close to the top, but I have a ton of movies in my queue that were recommended by some person, or I learned of through a forum, or a connection to some other movie I saw.

But I'm glad I finally saw this one. Very interesting. Never seen it before. To really know about this movie, you have to put it in context with Dr. Strangelove, that also came out that year, earlier in 1964. Two movies about the same subject, both in black and white, with dramatic director shots and hokey stock aircraft footage. But two different approaches--Dr. Strangelove was a total farce, where this was intended to be a true drama. Everybody loved Strangelove and laughed at it, but because that came out first, nobody wanted to get into a serious film about the exact same topic a few months later, and this movie flopped.

So it's good to see this movie now. While the comparison to Strangelove is undeniable, it can now be viewed a little more isolated. Some FANTASTIC acting (and some not so) and BEAUTIFUL camera shots, particularly of Henry Fonda. (so sad that he went on to make such a horrible daughter!) Although this movie misses the mark on a few things and is over the top on others, it's still a great film, and reminds me that era of America (and the rest of the world) was totally different under a looming threat of nuclear war. :4: out of :5:
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

A good film. If you liked this one, you should try to catch Seven Days in May. Another Cold War era film (around the same time) starring Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster. More of a conspiracy film than an "end of the world" scenario, it has themes that resonate even today and echo, in a prescient fashion, many of the current conspiracy theories currently abounding (as is almost always the case, such "theories" make for far more compelling dramatic fiction than they do realistic analysis of ongoing events). The leads are very solid in their respective roles and it stands as a fine example of Cold War era cinema.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

In fact, I did watch Seven Days in May recently, on a recommendation. in fact, maybe that's what led me to this movie through someone's recommendation. I actually didn't like Seven Days in May all that much, and I'm not remembering all details of why.

I'm watching Fail Safe's Director's Commentary now. Boy, if nothing else, there is some beautiful camera work in this movie.
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
          In fact, I did watch Seven Days in May recently, on a recommendation. in fact, maybe that's what led me to this movie through someone's recommendation. I actually didn't like Seven Days in May all that much, and I'm not remembering all details of why.
          Perhaps because, on the surface, such a brazen act of treason by a number of high ranking U.S. military officers seems unlikely (Cold War era cinema was not known for its subtlety). But the underlying themes remain relevant, IMO, not so much as a reflection of reality but as a reflection of the fears of significant numbers of our society, albeit frequently vague in its focus.

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
            and BEAUTIFUL camera shots, particularly of Henry Fonda. (so sad that he went on to make such a horrible daughter!)
            I bet you've never forgiven Jane for Vietnam Chris!

Nigel.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

And why would I? She's only sorry that "people feel hurt" by what she did.

... I should probably leave it there, not going to turn this into a diatribe of Jane.

Henry Fonda? Yes, he did a fantastic job in this film.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
                A good film. If you liked this one, you should try to catch Seven Days in May. Another Cold War era film (around the same time) starring Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster. More of a conspiracy film than an "end of the world" scenario, it has themes that resonate even today and echo, in a prescient fashion, many of the current conspiracy theories currently abounding (as is almost always the case, such "theories" make for far more compelling dramatic fiction than they do realistic analysis of ongoing events). The leads are very solid in their respective roles and it stands as a fine example of Cold War era cinema.
                Yes, both films belong in any film buff's collection.
                My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"