X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • efarstad
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2001

LOTR: Two Towers

Hey Guys...I notice preorders have begun for a 2-disc edition. Think they'll come out with a supped-up 4-disc edition like the last LOTR? Greedy little movie-mongals! :twisted: But darn smart...

Just curious if I have to tell my wife we'll be having two copies of the next movie like the first!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

E, depends on your need for instant gratification. Personally, I'll be waiting on the super-duper-supreme-el-gonzo edition in November/December. I bought both sets last time and looking back, should have waited.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

I am probably in the should have waited camp myself. Will I wait next time? Hard to say for sure.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• efarstad
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2001

So it's confirmed they are going to do the same thing...release the super-duper version a few months later? I can't find info on that anywhere...what say you Masters?

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

E -

While we are waiting for the "Masters" to respond :>), the official "Lord of the Rings" movie site says there will be a four disc Platinum Edition released in November. http://www.lordoftherings.net/index_400_hv_home.html

Click on "Special Extended DVD Edition Coming November 18th! Click Here" and the following information pops up:

The New Line Platinum Seriesâ„¢ The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Special Extended DVD Edition inlcudes never-before-seen footage, special features and more!
          DVD 4-disc set with 43 minutes of new and extended
          scenes added to the film (also available on VHS)
          2 bonus discs of all-new special features
          (Any misspellings in the quote were copied from the original.) :>)

Of course, as you already know, the "standard" theatrical cut will be released August 26. I kind of like having both editions in my collection. For one thing, although I liked the extended cut of "Fellowship of the Rings", there have been enough other movies where I felt the extra footage in an extended version watered down the original, so it is sort of a "safety net" to have both. Also, the "extras" will be different on the two editions, and LOTR is one set of movies where I actually view the supplemental material! :>)

Enjoy!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I'll do what I did the first time and rent it when it comes out then buy the 4 disc set later

Comment

• efarstad
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2001

Ah, thanks! The blonde one, me, for some reason had trouble finding THE OFFICIAL website...there's tons of LOTR websites out there! Thanks Master Burke!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
              E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
              E-Cinema

Comment

• efarstad
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jun 2001

WAIT! No DTS-ES????

Me thinks it will be on the Extended 4-disc version....? Probably too soon for full specs on that dics...but like Master Burke said...two copies are groovy too! Just like the first movie, I'll keep one at the cabin and one at home...that way we can LOTR wherever we go! :-y

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                E-Cinema

Comment

• Aeromos
                  • Jun 2003

Thanks for answering a question I've had Burke (indirectly). I've always wondered if the 4 disc set had the short version as well. It looks like I'll have to get both sets for LOTR and LOTR: The Two Towers. It's too bad they just don't include both versions in one set. We all know they'd rather do it in stages though, so that they can maximize on $$$ they make.

Aeromos
                  Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                  My Collection
                  Aeromos
                  Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                  My Collection

Comment

• Danbry39
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Sep 2002

I didn't wait for the extended version on LOTR's I, but I'm definitely going to wait this time. Supposedly, the extra footage weaves the different plot threads together a lot better than the theatrical release. I won't even rent the initial version, but will just patiently wait.

Keith
                    Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

I'm with you on that one, Keith.

My Homepage!
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Eduardo
                        Moderator emeritus
                        • Jun 2002

I'm waiting and getting the Extended Edition.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Me personally, I'm waiting until all three movies are released on DVD before buying one. I'm guessing that they'll release a set including all three that will be the end-all set of the series.

I think the only movies like this that I haven't consciously waited to buy the entire collection together has been star wars. I'm even waiting with the Matrix Reloaded, and you know what a fan I am of the Matrix movies.

CHRIS
                          Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                            • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
                            I'm waiting until all three movies are released on DVD before buying one.
                            Do what feels right for you, but I guess that depends on how badly you want to watch the movies at home before August of 2004. I prefer to have them as soon as available, and in both the theatrical cut and the extended editions. (I've already watched LOTR: FOTR several times each -- although I'll admit that the theatrical cut has sat on the shelf after the EE replaced it in my DVD jukebox.)
                            Originally posted by Chris Dotur
                            I'm guessing that they'll release a set including all three that will be the end-all set of the series.
                            I've read at least one interview where Peter Jackson asserted that, collectively, the original and EE for each movie were "it" -- that there wasn't going to be a "super set" of all three movies that superceded all those that preceded it. Now the studio execs may "get creative" and bundle all the discs previously available in all the separate releases, but that wouldn't be an enticing "buy" for the loyal fans who had already been rewarded with the riches of the previous editions.

I enjoy the movies enough that I want to see them from time to time before the whole series is out on DVD, and there is enough interesting supplemental material in the editions we've seen so far that even if they do decide to put together a "super set", I'll already have enough in hand, having bought the theatrical and extended editions of all three, to feel "fulfilled" as a fan of the movies. But if you do wait, and they do issue a "super set", at least it would presumably be in some kind of "collector" packaging that wouldn't be in the hands of anyone who didn't buy that set, even if the contents were the same as what went before.

Burke
                            Spelling and grammar checked by MS Word. If you detect an error, please notify Bill Gates.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Brandon B
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Aeromos
                              We all know they'd rather do it in stages though, so that they can maximize on $$$ they make.
                              Actually, I'd give them a little credit (probably Jackson, not Newline) in that they announced far in advance what the two versions would be and what would be on them, so no one is duped into buying the theatrical version only to be surprised by the extended version coming soon after. They also are only separated by 3 months in their release dates. Also also, ALL of the supplemental material is different, no duplication from one version to the other.

Hard to ask for much more than that. Considering Jackson is overseeing and creating some of the supplemental stuff for the EE while he COMPLETING THE NEXT MOVIE, I think he's being extremely supportive of fans of his films to get them out at all in this time frame. Lucas takes 3 years per movie, and can't be bothered to eve release a bare bones Star Wars set because "he doesn't have time" (and 'cuz he's got a whole mess of monkeying with them left to do). Not that he's a meaningful example to contrast with.

BB

Comment

• Brandon B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jun 2001

Oh, and I will of course have to buy both versions in order to stay married, as well as friends with some of our neighbors.
                                Probably the "gift" set of the second version, with whatever sort of knick knack it comes with (sandstone Helm's Deep?)

BB

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Feb 2002

Guess I'm all alone. I only care for the theatrical release. It's the version I saw and the version I want to remember. It's a guarantee that they will do the same for Return of the King. It's almost like they shoot 2 movies, one for the silver screen and one for the DVD.

I don't really care for this "taking a second crack at it" stuff. If the plots are better woven together because you undid some of the editing or re-edited, re-inserted..maybe the release schedule should back off so the director and the editors get it right the first time. The Abyss is one of the few movies where I really like the director's cut better...a lot better.Okay gripping over.

At least they give the public a choice in 2 versions. The other advantage is that if you hold off long enough...then the movie version becomes available at a substantial price cut on the used market cuz everyone is dumping the theatrical release to pick up the EE....which works out great for moi

Personally, I prefer the T2 Special Edition approach (where the addtional scenes are branched...too bad they can't perfect that method...or they don't want to because they make more coin releasing multiple sets.... ).

"A RONSTER!"
                                  Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Brandon B
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jun 2001

Actually, in Peter Jackson's case, it is very definitely not a "second crack". He made an agreement with New Line prior to the release that he would cut down the length of the theatrical release strictly to keep the run time at about 3 hours, with the specific understanding that they would, in each case release the longer version of the movie he intended on DVD prior to the release of the subsequent film, so that viewers would have the chance to view the complete movie, including plot points he thought necessary for the next film.

BB

Comment

Working...
                                    😀
                                    😂
                                    🥰
                                    😘
                                    🤢
                                    😎
                                    😞
                                    😡
                                    👍
                                    👎
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"