X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Star Trek: Nemesis

With Cinemeek re-assembled, the first thing I put in was Star Trek: Nemesis. This is a VERY GOOD demo DVD. The visuals are gorgeous, and the soundtrack is lots of fun too! The space battle scenes are the high points of an already entertaining movie. If you are a Sci-Fi fan, or a fan of the TNG (The Next Generation) films and series, you won't want to miss this one.

I haven't looked at the extras yet, so I can't comment on them at this time.

My review of the movie can be read here if you are interested.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I'm not really a TNG fan, but I think I'll rent it to see that beautiful PQ you dscribe.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Glad to hear that David!

I am a fan of Star Trek franchise (though I never really enjoyed Deep Space Nine) so getting this will be an easy call.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Dean McManis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • May 2003

The reviews on ST: Nemesis are hit and miss, but I'm a fan of Star Trek TNG, and I enjoyed the action and visuals of this movie. So I bought it.

-Dean.

Comment

• PMazz
          • May 2001

Count me with the "Miss" crowd.

Hmm.....Will have to check updates to the HTPC. I thought the video was weak.

Pete
          Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Hmm.....Will have to check updates to the HTPC. I thought the video was weak.

So, what are you running, Pete? How would you compare the video to well known DVD's you think are comparable or better? I've been thinking about buying this title; I use to be a fairly big Trek fan, but that has waned a bit. Didn't catch this one in the theater, either.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bing Fung
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

Nemesis is actually one of my favorite Star Treks. I liked it for it had a different feel, one more to my liking.

Picture quality I would have to rate it excellent as all the previous STNG DVD's are. I don't know why it would be considered "weak", they may not be absolute reference, however they never dissapoint and always look impressive.

The scene when you first see the Enterprise (chapter 3) is impressive in detail and the score playing adds a sense of size to the scene. One particular part I liked is in the Romulan senate (chapter 1) when Senator Talora was setting up that red orb. I though that was well done and looked superb.

I most certainly use this disk as a demo

If you are remotely a Trekkie, do not miss this one!

Bing
              Bing

Comment

• PMazz
                • May 2001

Jon,
                I recently upgraded my video driver (Radeon 7500) to the Cat 3.4 version running TheaterTek on a P4 1.4G system. I had to re-do my Powerstrip resolutons as well.

This is the only title I've watched since the fiddling. All I specifically remember was mumbling to myself the fact that the video looked soft. Will give it a spin on my "regular" player and compare.

Story wise it was OK. Some of the usual Star Trek "fluff" intermixed with the usual overacting. IMO, the shows were more enveloping than the movies have been.

Pete
                Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• PMazz
                  • May 2001

Well, after checking things out, and previewing different scenes in Nemesis, it seems to me that certain scenes are focused softly, probably intentionally. All the space scenes and CGI are crystal clear and sharp. Some other scenes shot in the ship and on Romulus are softer. Possibly due to the aging crew ....

But I'll still stick with my "Miss" verdict, although as a die hard Star Trek fan, I would've bought it regardless.

Pete
                  Birth of a Media Center

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"