X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Ahhh... those movies from the sixties

The fifties, sixties and seventies were years that I went to the movies three or four times a week and there wasn't many that I missed. One that I did see back in 1961 but had never seen it on tape or laserdisc since is THE DEVIL AT 4 O'CLOCK and I now have it in my dvd collection.

It stars Frank Sinatra and Spencer Tracy. Sinatra is one of three convicts on their way to prison. Their seaplane has to make an overnight stop in a Southseas island where Tracy ( an aging priest) is being replaced by the new, younger priest who is a passenger on the plane.

Sinatra portrays a cynical, faithless, mean person who has not been treated well in life. Tracy's priest is a man who has lost faith in his fellowman. When a volcano erupts, threatening to destroy the island, Sinatra becomes an unlikely hero and helps the priest save a hospital for leper children on the island. Through the course of events, Sinatra's character changes for the better ( he rediscovers faith) and Tracy has his faith in man renewed. The plot has been done better in other films, but to see two pros like Sinatra and Tracy together just makes the whole thing worthwhile.

This is a Columbia release and it does not appear to have much done to enhance the transfer. My recollection of how this film looked in the theater is about as dim as this transfer. Colors are somewhat muted, contrast is lacking ( sometimes it appears as if the brightness control on the PJ increased all by its lonesome ) and sound is just so-so. I just know it had to look better than this in the theater. It's a shame. This film may not be a classic, but it deserved better treatment for a dvd release.

Everything aside, It was a nostalgic visit to my past, and being a Sinatra and Tracy fan, I would watch anything they did.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

George, I've never run across this movie before. I'll have to rent it simply based on those two actors being in it. Thanks for the heads-up! :T

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"