Ok, you guy's aren't going to believe this one! It says "Pinocchio Limited Issue" but...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Ok, you guy's aren't going to believe this one! It says "Pinocchio Limited Issue" but...

Last week I went to Blockbuster to rent a movie. While being there I noticed that they had a 25% off all previously viewed movies. So I picked up a about 8 movies. One the dvd's is "Pinocchio".

I purchased it for a darn good price and, since it is out of print, it was an easy choice. It has the original cover, insert and the proper imaging on the disc.

My 5yr old daughter asked could she see her new movie. After putting it in the dvd player I noticed that the main menu would not come up. So I hit the menu button on the remote and presto, the menu appears (Did I mention that this disc has no scratches or marks what so ever. Like it has never been used. Not even a finger smudge!!!).

Now here is the kicker.... The movie on the disc isn't "Pinocchio"...It's the Prince of Egypt!!! How in the heck does this happen! :B

I am pissed and happy all at the same time. I still don't own the movie that I purchased. And also now own two copies of the "Prince of Egypt". However, I now own a unique dvd!

What a way to start the holiday! 8)

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

I do believe that one! Back in the days of Laser Disc, I bought a copy of Driving Miss Daisy from the "cut out" bin at a remarkably low price which wouldn't have been bad even for a DVD (about $12). The jacket said Driving Miss Daisy, the label on the disc said Driving Miss Daisy -- but when I played it, the movie was Deliverance. Did I take it back? No. Deliverance was selling for $39.99 at the time and I had wanted a copy for my collection anyway.

But I also had wanted a copy of Driving Miss Daisy which is why I had bought it in the first place, so I went back and bought the last copy of Driving Miss Daisy from the cut-out bin, and it was actually a copy of Driving Miss Daisy. So I had two laser discs that were labled the same, but one was Driving Miss Daisy and the other was Deliverance. That's what Sharpies are made for. :>)

Burke

PS -- I'm told that while it is not all that common for a production house to mislabel discs, it can happen when they change over from one title to the next. Sometimes, especially when they are in a hurry due to a backlog, the batches of different discs can kind of get "run together" at the change-over and a few discs go out with the wrong identification.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• justin
      • Feb 2003

I Also had a dvd labeled wrong. I went to wal mart to buy the fifth element superbit and I got the she creature.:? I could see the labeling for the she creature under the fifth element's. It was a O.K. movie. I had to watch it first before taking it back.

jus

Jus

Taking it one day at a time. Life moves quick.
      Jus

Taking it one day at a time. Life moves quick.

Comment

• Dean McManis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • May 2003

Yeah, I had heard about this happening before as well, but it's pretty rare to find such mis-labeled DVDs.

It would be an interesting conversation piece, but I'd likely retrun the DVD.
        As long as they had another copy of Pinocchio on DVD (and I'd check that one out as well).

-Dean.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Never had that happen on dvd or laserdisc, but once, back when I belonged to the Columbia VHS tape club, I ordered a movie that had the proper jacket, but a different one inside. It was sealed, too.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

I remember reading threads about this when (I forget) either Prince of Egypt or Pinocchio were originally released - or was that around the same time? It was a few years ago anyway.

I also remember when the Toy Story special edition came out (the 3 disc set), a few packages had one of the discs with Toy Story on the 1st layer and High Fidelity on the 2nd layer, so when you hit the layer change, you'd get some scene from High Fidelity and then the disc would lock up... surprise!

I'd try to exchange the disc if you can. You paid for Pinocchio, so you should be getting it.

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
            My HT Site

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Hmmm, interesting info and points. So I guess there is no collectors value to this?! :B

I may just keep it for a conversation piece and purchase a new one.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"