• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Witty dialogue made this for me...

TWO WEEKS NOTICE

This stars Sandra Bullock and Hugh Grant. Sandra plays a leftwing environmentalist lawyer and Grant a rich partner in a real estate development company . Grant's company is about to develop a property that will see the destruction of a community center, but promises to save the center if Bullock comes to work for him, which she does. But his self-centered ways get to her and she gives her 2 weeks notice. After that the fun begins.
    This is a predictable "opposites attract" theme, but don't let that stop you from seeing this film. It is peppered with dialogue that snaps, crackles and pops with humor. Bullock is a natural comedienne, and this is the kind of role I prefer her in. There is also excellent charisma between her and Hugh Grant. Now I am not a Grant fan but I have to admit I enjoyed him in this picture. It is written and directed by Marc Lawrence, who always did have a great ear for natural dialogue. And his writing here suits the two leading characters to a tee.

There is also some familiar tunes in the score, and a real treat is Norah Jones singing The Nearness Of You at a cabaret.

I laughed out loud several times during this film. There was more comedy ( even some slapstick) than romance and that suited me just fine. This probably wouldn't hold up well for a second viewing for most, unless you are a hardcore Bullock or Grant fan, but it make a really pleasant evening rental.

:3::

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

There was a time when I wasn't really a Hugh Grant fan, but not of late. Movies like About a Boy and Bridget Jones Diary have made me look forward to each of his films.

George, you said you laughed out loud several times during the movie. Me too. And my youngest daughter and wife were in hysterics the whole film. Yes, perhaps not one that will endure a hollowed place in filmdom's history, but a really likable, funny film.

It was nice seeing Nora Jones and I felt the rest of the soundtrack was good as well.

I just wish I had Hugh Grant's character's money.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Yeah, Keith, if we had his money, think of the HT we'd have :LOL:

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I quite like Hugh's movies (being british helps I guess) so I've wanted to see this for a while...plus its got sandra in it:drool:

Comment

• Danbry39
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2002

My gosh Andrew!!! You just had a baby. You know you can never think of women again.

Oh, and, by the way, she's pretty sensational here.

Here's how it is in my family:

Wife: Keith, you don't ever think of other women now that we have a family and all?

Me: No dear.

Wife: Are you sure?

Me: Yes dear.

Wife: What's your favorite color?

Me: Yes dear...

Wife: Are you listening to me?

Me: Yes dear.

Keith
          Keith

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

I enjoyed this film at the movies, and enjoyed watching the DVD while traveling on business last week.

Oddly, my British girl friend, who likes some Hugh Grant and Sandra Bullock movies, didn't like this one.

Like George, I thought the dialog was witty and overall well placed; the chemistry was "different" because it wasn't a conventional "infatuation at first sight" story.

There's an interesting feature you can turn on where you'll get double pink hears at select locations; if you click on that, it will show a blooper/out-take from that scene.

Also, there are some intresting alternate scenes, including a very different ending.

Well worth the veiwing and the money, for the "less hardcore" fans, at least a worthwhile rental.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dean McManis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • May 2003

I thought that Two Weeks Notice was kinda funny until the hair-caught-in-the fly gag scene, and for me it went down hill from there.

I really liked About a Boy, and Notting Hill, and Four Weddings and a Funeral, but that's about it for Hugh's best movies (for me). He was OK in Bridget and Sense and Sensability.

While it was better than Kate & Leopold or Serendipity, which I had real problems with, Two Weeks just never pulled together for me.

-Dean.

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Well now you guys have done it. I was going to pass on this one. Now, I must see it for myself. :B

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"