• Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Action/Romance...what's your flavor ?

For action, try this:

THE TRANSPORTER

This is a Franco/Asian production and Luc Besson is ( I believe) an executive producer. It stars Jason Statham ( who the heck is he ?) as an ultra-cool ex-military enigmatic fellow who hires himself out as a transporter of various, sometimes questionable goods. But after he breaks one of his own rules ( never ask questions) he gets involved with an Asian cutie who's involved with international slave traders. Story a bit weak overall, but this one is pure popcorn. Lots of car chases, explosions, and quite a bit of martail arts. Statham looks a bit like Bruce Willis. The difference is, Willis can act. But Statham has the moves and that seems to all that's necessary for this flick. A good rental if you just want to sit and rest the brain.

For romance, try :

MAID IN MANHATTAN

This is pure Girl meets boy, girl loses boy, girl gets boy formula. It stars Jennifer Lopez and Ralph Fiennes. Jen is a maid who is encouraged to try on an expensive outfit belonging to a hotel guest ( Natasha Richardson) who meets Fiennes ( a rich political candidate for Senator) and he thinks she is something she ain't. Natasha Richardson is the antagonist who causes the truth to be known and... well you get the drift. This is not normally my kind of moviefare, but wifey wanted to see it so I went for the rental. It could have been worse with actors other than J-Lo and Fiennes. But the best of them all is Natasha Richardson who really shines as a rich-bitch trying to recover from a romance break-up. This girl has true comedic skills and she made the film well worth my time.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

George,

The Transporter is "on the list". Your evaluation pretty much captures most of what I've heard about it, but hey, guns/girls/martial arts? What else is there?

I'm REALLY anti-J. Lo right now. I've seen and heard about all I care to about her. Gonna have to let some time go by before I try this one out.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

I think J-Lo's best romantic comedy is "Wedding Planner"; IMO, it's got a bit more depth than "Maid in Manhattan". But YMMV.

~Jon

Earth First!
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
        I'm REALLY anti-J. Lo right now.
        Then you're gonna just LOVE the announcment (reported on CNN this morning) that she and Ben Affleck have signed on to do a remake of -- I don't want to be accused of exposing something obscene so the name's in a spoiler -- "Casablanca". Yeah, even if you think that one needs to be redone, which I don't -- isn't that great casting? They might as well just colorize the original and add rock tunes to its soundtrack. :>)

Corroboraton from an online source:

Having just appeared together in the soon-to-be-released "Jersey Girl", they are obviously ready for "Casablanca". (Plot summary for JG: http://us.imdb.com/Plot?0300051 -- sounds like an instant classic, for sure.) Not much of a stretch for them to do "Casablanca" after that one. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Danbry39
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2002

Suddenly, I feel sick. What's next, Vin Diesel and Brittany Spears doing a remake of The African Queen?

Why do they take films that have been done so well the first time to do the remake? Why not take one that was poorly made the first time and try to get it right?

Keith
          Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Oh, no, they wouldn't do that, would they ? This is one guy who will refuse to see it. Notjhing beats the original.

Keith, that's funny about Vin Deisel and B. Spears doing a remake of The African Queen. Would make a hell of a comedy. :LOL:

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

double post.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

That is preposterous. As if EITHER of them could carry Bogey or Ingrid Bergman's dirty underwear, much less match them in acting. What a bad, bad tasteless pathetic joke of a bad idea. This is what I'd like to do to the moron that came up with this one:
                :bash:

David - HTGuide flunky
                Our "Theater"
                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                  Former Moderator
                  • Jan 2002

Hi

Watched The Transporter on the weekend, definately one for the library. Didn't spend enough time judging the audio and video transfers though. The story and acting/action was quite good. Strongly recomend a peek.

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
                  CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"