X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Spirited Away on DVD today... and more!

The DVD of Oscar winning (Best Animated Feature) anime instant classic "Spirtied Away" is on store shelves today. Or, in the case of Best Buy, the "Special Deals" table. :>) In addition to a special lintroductory week price of $17.99 ("regular" price marked at $19.99), two other fine Hayao Miyazaki anime films, "Castle in the Sky" and "Kiki's Delivery Service", are also out on R1 DVDs for the first time today and are marked down to $19.99 each from $22.99 each.

But here is the real kicker. If you buy all three of those titles, you get "Princess Mononoke" for FREE (regularly $22.99). So you can get all four for only $57.97. Do the math -- that's less than $15 each for four outstanding films that deserve to be in the hands of any serious movie collector, whether a big anime fan or not.

BTW -- Princess Mononoke was on Roger Ebert's 10 best list the year it was released theatrically. I wouldn't argue with him on that one -- it is a real gem. And in case you missed Spirited Away during its limited release in commercial theaters last fall, you owe it to yourself to see this magical mystery tour (no, the Beatle's weren't involved in this one and they could only wish their film had been 1 / 10th as good) of a mystical spirit world where grown ups with excessive appetites literally turn into pigs and a child left to fend for herself finds allies in some of the strangest creatures to inhabit a movie maker's imagination. Highly entertaining.

Even if you only want only one or two of these titles, the prices for these R1 releases are significantly less than the R2 editions had been going for, if you could get your hands on them. And since they are being handled by Walt Disney/Beuna Vista in the US, you'd better snap them up before they go into "moratorium".

Enjoy -

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Thanks for the reminder. I'll be heading out to BB shortly. It will be played tonight, just after I finish Rouge of the Three Colors Trilogy. What a double feature, right???

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

I watched Spirited Away yesterday and, imo, it is one great animated feature, so much so that I can't wait to watch the extras. My 10 year old liked it so much that she's on her third viewing already. She says it is her favorite animated film of all time. A very enthusiastic thumbs up from me. If you liked Hayao Miyazaki's other feature films, you'll probably love this one which I feel is his best work yet...and that's saying a lot.

Keith
      Keith

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

For those of you into these, my friend at the studio says we are presently dubbing "Porco Rosso" into english for release soon.

This is a not-easily-available-in-USA title about a post WWI pilot in soon to be fascist Italy who combats air pirates, oh and happens to be a pig. Really beautiful animation (borrowed a friends Japanese copy). I liked this one quite a bit.

"The crimson pig". Don't know if they will retitle it.

BB

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"