The Lion King (DD 5.1 Enhanced Home Theater)...what does that mean?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The Lion King (DD 5.1 Enhanced Home Theater)...what does that mean?

Reading the specs of the oct scheduled release of "The Lion King" states it is "Enhanced Home Theater". Yet, I've seen nothing stating what this really means.

My guess is something to do with the "X-curve" and being eq'ed for home use.

Any other thoughts?

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

I gots some friends over in the studio sound group. I'll ask.

BB

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Yeah, I am curious, too.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Thanks Brandon. That would be great!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

considering that disney calls their DVD releases "Disney DVD" like there's something special about their DVD's I doubt there's anything special about their DD track..unless they've figure out how to put the LFE channel on the .1 track (remember Tarzan )

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

Just asked my friend, he say he knows the guy who mixed it and will check. Likely it's a marketing thing though.

BB

Comment

• Brandon B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2001

My friend talked to the mixing engineer. Evidently, it's not marketing speak. It's a remix to (and I am paraphrasing hearsay here) bring more info to the surround channels and more envelope you in the audio portion of the action. The engineer has a pretty high end theater system at home himself, and took it home for progress checks as he went.

So we'll see if his tastes match ours as far as immersion. I know some people do not prefer the "I'm in the middle of the action" approach, while others do. I am the latter, along with preferring to sit close enough so the screen fills most of my peripheral vision.

BB

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Hey Brandon,

Thanks for going out of your way to keep us informed. We appreciate the effort!

I like being in the middle of the mix also. IMO, anything less defeats the entire idea of having side and rear speakers.

It's nice to hear that the mixer of this disc actually worked on it in a "real world" application to help tweak it. I now have another reason to look forward to this disc.

Thanks again for the info.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

I'll join John is thanking you for the explanation, Brandon.

My Homepage!
                  My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"