• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

This one is memorable... Road To Perdition

Road to Perdition.

Powerful performances from both Paul Newman and Tom Hanks. Even the kid who portrayed Hank's son was excellent.

Hanks is a Mafia hitman working for Paul Newman. When Newman's character's son sets up a double cross on Hanks and causes the murder of his wife and youngest child, Hanks sets out on the run with his oldest son and thus begins a dramatic story of survival, revenge, and an even greater bonding between father and son.

This is one of those films that affects you greatly and leaves you thinking long after the credits have faded. Everything about this film is great: acting, writing, directing, cinematography. And Hanks, who not only portrays a cold-blooded hit-man, but a loving, caring father, has that great acting ability to repulse you on one hand, yet get your sympathy on the other. Not many actors can do that as well as Tom Hanks, who just gets more and more admiration from me with each new role he takes on.

If you haven't already seen this, then do yourself a favor and do so. You won't be sorry.

:5:

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

In addition to memorable acting performances (Newman is up for the Best Supporting Actor Oscar), the cinematography and set design in "Road To Perdition" are first rate.

With a muted color palette and masterful use of light and shadow (chiaroscuro) Conrad F. Hall achieves a painterly perfect composition in each frame. If I have seen a more beautifully photographed movie, I cannot think of it at the moment.

And the period detail achieved by the same team of set designers that worked on "O Brother Where Art Thou" also contributes to a believable, atmospheric space for the actors to work in.

This film was well worth seeing in the commercial theater and is now makes a valuable addition to one's DVD collection.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Absolutely, Burke. BTW, I felt that this film deserved more Oscar nominations than it got.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I picked this one up when it was released, but haven't watched it with Cinemeek hors de combat. I'm fervently hoping that it maintained the same PQ shown in the theaters as it was truly a visual treat.

I agree with you both. It's a film that should have had three nominations at least - Newman, Hanks and Law.

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

yeah, I just rented this one last night. I enjoyed it too. I had the thought during the movie that Hanks has come such a long way since his early goofy days of Bachelor Party and The Money Pit. (which I love) His early stuff was great too, but he's really grown to be a wonderful actor.

Good performances from all the cast. Jude Law has just struck me as being typically a character that's slightly odd and out of place. His performances in Existenz and Gattaca come to mind the most, and this movie has a similar type of role for him.

CHRIS
          Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

Yes, another sight unseen purchase for me. $14.99 at Best Buy this week. I'd echo all the positive comments here. It's simply a great movie. The only problem was that Best Buy only had two versions (of the three versions available), the pan and scan and the widescreen with DTS, the one I bought. That doesn't have the "making of" documentary which I hear is fantastic. I will get to watch the documentary though as a friend plans on buying a copy with it.

By the way, Tom Hanks is building an incredible portfolio, especially with him also producing things like Band of Brothers. He must really have not only great taste, but versatility, vision and integrity. I really am looking forward to how he grows as an artist over the next few years.

Keith
            Keith

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Hanks actually directed one of the Band Of Brothers episodes in addition to acting as a producer. A man of many talents.

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Keith, I too was only able to buy the DTS version without the Making Of featurette.

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

I too was only able to buy the DTS version without the Making Of featurette.
                  Ditto. The local Best Buy had two choices: Widescreen with DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 or Fullscreen with Dolby Digital 5.1 (well, actually one choice and a non-starter). So I opted for the Widescreen version, of course. Even if it had the "making of" documentary, odds are I'd never get around to watching it, anyway.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Danbry39
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Sep 2002

Well, that DTS sound track with the widescreen version is pretty fantastic though. I'd go with it again and all over again too.

Keith
                    Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Yeah, Burke, I had the same choice. Full Screen or the WS with DTS. I probably would watch the featurette on this film if it had been available, but I have so many discs laying around with unseen extras that I am not really bothered with not having Road to Perdition extras.

My Homepage!
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Ditto on everything, right down to the versions available at BB. I got in on the 14.99 deal. Hanks is one of the top 5 movie men in the business now I think. Probably top 3. It would be difficult to say one person is number 1, but there's no doubt in my mind, there is no better out there.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                        Doug
                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                          • Jan 2002

Sounds like my kinda movie.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"