X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

trailer trivia (extras)

So, do you watch em? You know, those things they call movie extras in DVD packages like Director's Cuts?

I'd be the first to admit, that often times, I'm just not that interested.

But I thought it might be interesting to post sort of a add on list of interesting trivia that you learn from trailers/outtakes/editorials and so on that accompany our DVDs.

I'll start: ANIMAL HOUSE TRIVIA

I was flabberghasted to find out that John Belushi was the highest paid actor in Animal House, Well, not so much that, but at the fact he only made 40,000 for the film! It was also interesting to find out that almost every studio turned away National Lampoon, until finally Universal called them to discuss it. No college campus wanted them either. Finally, I think a small school accepted them, though I forget where.

Did you know Kevin Bacon is in Animal House? That fact never jumped out at me before...

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Yeah, IIRC Kevin Bacon is one of the ROTC members? Right?

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Yup, that was it, he had a very small part, earning "scale" wage. He said, he thought they were gonn a weigh him or something, lol.

This discussion session is very interesting, because all the actors they talk to, are at least 20 years older. Interesting to see the change, and you know, Flounder actually slimmed down! I really liked his personality in the movie, he should have kept on acting more, if he could get parts. Maybe he did, and I just don't know it?

Another interesting bit of trivia, is how flounder got the part. He was delivering pizzas at the time, and he attached his picture and contact info to each pizza he delivered to the studios, lol. talk about sales flyers.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Kevin Bacon is the dude who bent over and said "Thank you sir, May I have another?" during the fraternity initiation where the hooded dudes paddled the pledges (in the frat next door to Animal House). Then he sat uncomfortably in class the next day. :>) (Quick shot of him using a hand exercisor as they panned the classroom to more action with the AH dudes.)

Burke

PS -- I rarely watch the extras. I did watch them all for "Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings" (theatrical release), listened to a little of the commentary on the Criterion "Spartacus" and followed some of Mel Brook's commentary on "Young Frankenstein"... that's about it.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Lex
          Interesting to see the change, and you know, Flounder actually slimmed down! I really liked his personality in the movie, he should have kept on acting more, if he could get parts. Maybe he did, and I just don't know it?

Another interesting bit of trivia, is how flounder got the part. He was delivering pizzas at the time, and he attached his picture and contact info to each pizza he delivered to the studios, lol. talk about sales flyers.

Lex

He was in Babylon 5 for all but the first season I think. Vir, assistant to Ambassador Molari (sp?)

BB

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Dammit... the frickin HT Guide just burped again and lost my whole post as I hit submit. I hate it when it does that. I'll have to remember every interesting thing I just said now.

I usually do watch most extras, and usually buy the special edition movies that have them, just because I like feeling like I own the best versions of each movie, as long as it's reasonably priced. I never buy the overkill versions that add books, movie posters, film pieces, etc. And I never buy the slimmed down version with extra extras if it means giving up performance and sound. (like a DTS track)

I especially like the director's commentaries, when they are able to add significant information that adds to my knowledge and appreciation of the movie, like "I framed this scene as especially dark, which puts the lead character in shadows, adding to his evil character attributes". Deep movies like the Matrix and Starship Troopers are able to do this. What I HATE HATE HATE is when a director just sits in mostly silence, watching the movie with you, occasionally saying "yeah, I like this part", and "this is my favorite scene" over and over again. Some bimbo director did this in Forrest Gump, and it just pissed me off. I don't need to pay to have some stupid person watch the movie with me.

MIB had a unique idea of using the subtitle capabilities to draw the figure outlines at the bottom of the screen kind of like MST3K, commenting on the movie from the bottom of the screen so you can watch them talk. Very creative. "Airplane" was funny, listening to the directors just bag on their own movie, saying "I can't believe you bought this DVD", and then they walk out of the commentary about 2/3 of the way through leaving you there.

I never really watch the trailers or that kind of stuff, since I own the movie, I don't need to see teasers and scenes of the same movie I just watched. But I do like deleted scenes and the animation movies that add bonus animation shorts like Ice Age and Toy Story.

As for Kevin Bacon, I think we need to start playing "The 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon" on this forum. Perhaps I'll start another thread so we can play. That would be fun.

CHRIS
            Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

I have a rack full of dvds that I have never found time to view the extras. But I do make an effort to watch the extras on the big blockbusters like Minority Report, The Jurassic Park set, Starwars 1 and 2, etc. But mostly for me it's the movie itself.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

It's hit-and-miss with me. Some (like Burke), such as LOTR: TFOTR are a no-brainer, some are just "ah, I don't want to put another DVD in, let's see what's in the extras" type things.

David - HTGuide flunky
                Our "Theater"
                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"