X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Office Space?

A couple of people I work with have been talking and laughing about Office Space. They are telling me it's a gem and should give it a try. Have you seen it? What did you think?

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

David -

"Office Space" is a laugh riot -- basically a "Dilbert"-like episodic one-liner-rich situation comedy slamming arrogant, stupid bosses, conniving coworkers, smarmy consultants, stultifying work environments with put-upon "good guys" trying to survive it all in an irreverent and creative manner -- until about the last 10 minutes when it collapses under its own weight trying to bring what is essentially a non-plot to a resolution.

Like a lot of satires, it has parts that are spot-on and side-splittingly funny, but as a cohesive drama, well, that isn't what this is. However, I liked it enough to buy a copy, and that was even before they had it in the "special price" bins. :>) Given what you've been through on the job, you will probably like it, too. Just please try not to get any ideas on "how to cope" from the ending. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I often thought about renting this title, so maybe I'll give it a spin.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Okay gents. I picked it up today at lunch - we'll give 'er a spin. Thanks!

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Let us know what you think of it, Tex.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Didn't get a chance to watch it last night. It was Jen's birthday, so once we got home we played with her new presents. I'm working tonight so it'll most likely be tomorrow (Saturday) before I get a chance.

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

Office Space is a favorite amongst the oppressed cubicle dwellers of the world, myself included. In fact, next week I'm getting together with one of my former co-worker buddies and watching it at his house. It's been a couple years so I'm overdue. There are a ton of one-liners in there which I use all the time. Sure it doesn't have much of a plot, but you'll want to watch it again and again.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
              My HT Site

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

I love the movie, and I've never sat in a cubicle. One of the first DVD's I bought. Definitely recommend to ALL.

PC LOAD LETTER, what the F%&*@# does that mean?

CHRIS
                Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

The movie is chock full of subtle gags. For example, Peter's apartment complex is named "Morningwood Apartments" or something like that. The other is the computers, the GUI is like a cross between Mac and Windows. It shows Mac-like windows, a Mac font, but a Windows hourglass, and when shutting down it goes to a DOS prompt!

And it's a common discussion as to whether the "PC LOAD LETTER" device is a fax machine or a printer. My friend thinks it's a NEC laser printer, but it could also be depicted as a fax machine. And of course "PC LOAD LETTER" is a message from the HP Laser Jet series.

"No! Not again! Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam! I swear to God one of these days I'm just going to kick this piece of shit out of the window."

"We're not going to some white collar resort prison. No, no, no! We're going to federal POUND ME IN THE ASS prison!"

Oh, and Peter's dream sequences are classic! Lots of great surrounds in them.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                  My HT Site

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"