X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Bourne Idendity worth your time

Matt Damon as an action hero ? I never thought so until I watched him in Bourne Idenity. It's about a spy out in the cold who has lost his memory but not his instincts for survival as those who employed him now want him dead.
    Excellent suspense and action throughout, especially a nerve shattering chase sequence that will have you sitting at the edge of your seat. Chris Cooper is great as the nasty good/bad(?) guy who wants Damon over and done with and unleashes a bunch of assassins to get things done.

Good picture quality, but not reference. Sound will give your surrounds a good workout and there is some subwoofer stuff as well.

I rented but now think I will buy . I'd like to see this one again. Especially for the car chase scenes.

:4:

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I wasn't sure matt would be able to pull this off but I ended up really liking it.

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Yeah, this turned out to be a good flick. Different from Ludlum's book in many respects, but a good one nonetheless.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I didn't read the book, but any changes must have been ok with Ludlum since he is listed as an executive producer in the credits.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I didn't read the book, but any changes must have been ok with Ludlum since he is listed as an executive producer in the credits.
          That doesn't mean it will be a good movie though..Michael Chricton worked on Lost World and look what a POS that turned out to be (I'm still pissed at that since TLW was a decent book :evil: )

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

True, Andrew but as I said in the case of Bourne Identity. since I didn't read the book I guess there isn't anything I can get pissed off about.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Sorry about that The lost world is a sore point with me since the books were so well written and JP1was the movie that really kick started my love of HT (that and twister)

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

No need to be sorry, Andrew. Many a good book has been butchered when translated to film.

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Sphere anyone :roll:

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I'm looking forward to seeing this film.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• John Holmes
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Well, I finally had the chance to see this film.

I too was quite happy with Matt's character portayal. He seem to have not only the action but, the look of being lost and confused the more the film progressed down to an art. And the car chase is right up there with the best of them.

I rented it but will add it to my collection.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Since my original post, John, I've added it to my collection and will be watching it again soon.

My Homepage!
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • May 2003

The Sphere and Lost World were excellent examples of poor Hollywood adaptations, where the writers and director either compleately missed the point of the book, or just didn't care.

I actually rate movies that have good potential, but poorly executed worse than merely bad movies. Most TV shows that are adapted into films fall into this category. When the writing/story is poorly done, it is hard to make much of a movie out of what's left.

The Borne Identity was very enjoyable for me, much like Ronin was.
                          I too, was surprised with Matt Damon, and I also thought that Chris Cooper was a good choice, as well as pleased to see Franka Potente (as Marie in the film), who did such a good job in Run Lola Run.

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

Bourne Identity. Great movie! :4:

Mat was very convincing in the role. Fantastic execution of the action roles in the film as well.

It's a must own, I think.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                            Doug
                            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

For me, it's a "do own".

Originally posted by Dr. Dean
                              The Sphere and Lost World were excellent examples of poor Hollywood adaptations, where the writers and director either compleately missed the point of the book, or just didn't care.

I actually rate movies that have good potential, but poorly executed worse than merely bad movies.

Agreed Dean! I think the absolute worst example of this is Starship Troopers. What a travesty! :evil:

David - HTGuide flunky
                              Our "Theater"
                              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • May 2003

That's interesting because (like Dune) I had not read the books of either one of these movies, and thought that they were enjoyable.

With Starship Troopers, I originally hated the movie because it came across as a ham-fisted propaganda film, with gratuitous violence.
                                And gaping holes in the military logic. But after listening to the commentary, I understood that this was the director's personal statement against mindless propaganda in films.

But the storyline was interesting, without knowing the depth of the book. The awful military tactics made much more sense knowing (afterwords) that the book was written with a post WWII mindset. And that the expression of the book as a movie could easily have been far afield from the author's meaning, but as a newbie to the story, I wouldn't know.

-Dean.

Comment

• David Meek
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Dean, I was frequenting many forums at the time of it's release, and that seems to pretty much be the dividing line from what I saw on them. If you'd read the book and were expecting something resembling it then you were disappointed. People that hadn't read Heinlein's book before seeing the film were much more accepting of it, if not at first then eventually.

Me? I'd read the book in my early years (11-12?) and have re-read it several times since. It was one of the more important and impactful books I read as a youth and I had created and refined the imagery in my head over the decades. Yep, I was so excited I couldn't stand it when I hear that movie was coming out! The ONE thing they got spot-on was the warrior-caste bugs - they were straight out of my imagination. It's too bad that Verhoeven missed on so much else (IMHO).

I could go on and on about the book/movie, but it's water under the bridge. . . . :blah:

Sorry 'bout taking the thread so far off topic. Now, back to Matt Damon.

David - HTGuide flunky
                                  Our "Theater"
                                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

The Sphere and Lost World were excellent examples of poor Hollywood adaptations, where the writers and director either compleately missed the point of the book, or just didn't care
                                    Don't get me started on these two travestys. I quite enjoyed both these books but the movies were a complete waste of time IMO. :M

Comment

Working...
                                    😀
                                    😂
                                    🥰
                                    😘
                                    🤢
                                    😎
                                    😞
                                    😡
                                    👍
                                    👎
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"