X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

Beneath the Planet of Eat Your Heart Out

I have had DVDs of "Gangs of New York"and "Lord of the Rings, the Two Towers", for a few weeks now.
    And have decided to share them with some of you lucky members. I will mail them out with return overnight envelopes, would appreciate it if they were returned after 2 days. Lex, if you want one you get first choice. Who wants the other?
    These are the real thing, each overseen by the director and the cameraman. Not some cheap Chinese rip offs.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Bob I'd love to see two towers on my system...

Comment

• P-Dub
      Office Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Bob 8O

I'd love to hear what Andrew has to say how TT sounds and looks on his system. I've got a system in mind that I'd like to what TT on as well.

Or you can send it to Erik and I'll drive down to watch it there!
      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Geez, Bob --

I sure wish you had told us about this before I went and saw The Two Towers again at a commercial theater last night. I'm sure it would have at least SOUNDED better on my system. :>) However, no matter how good the DVD image is, being in the third row of a nearly sold out house getting an almost IMAX-like perspective of the forty foot screen and still not seeing any scan lines :>) I'm guessing even my 10 foot diagonal screen at home won't be quite that dramatic or involving. OTOH, it would be fun to give it a try, anyway. Sometime before August. ;>)

Burke

PS --since no one else seems to want to give your copy of Gangs of New York a spin, I'd enjoy checking it out... (do I have to post a review or anything after watching it?) :>) And thanks in general for sharing these with some of the rest of us.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Pat
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Bob, That is a very generous offer!
          I would love to be on "the list" for either movie.

Thanks,
          Pat

Pat's Page
          Pat's Page

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Bob, that is a great offer! 8O I'd like to be on the list for either, also.

Jeez, Hef's and now pre-release DVD's! Can I be you when I grow up? :B

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Uh, yeah! Count me in.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Bob
                • Jul 2000

Lex, Tale of Two Towers should be at your house before noon tomarrow. Burke, since you are the first to ask about Gangs of New York, it will be at your P.O. box by 10:30 tomarrow. Enjoy.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Thanks bob! So what other secretes do you have to tell

Comment

• Bob
                    • Jul 2000

Andrew,
                    My family has been involved in the motion picture business since 1910. So, I know alot about what goes on in Hollywood. However, I try to be judicious about what I reveal nowadays.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

why do I get the feeling you'd be a lot of fun at a pub with some beers involved

Comment

• Bob
                        • Jul 2000

Andrew,
                        I think you would be sorely disappointed. For one thing I went to Ethiopia during the famines of the early "80s with UNICEF and parasites did a number on my liver so, no more beers for me. For another, I have speant so many hours of my adult life on movie sets that there is little else I know about, other than surfing. So, my world is pretty small and probably boring to someone outside the film industry. Just ask Lex, he speant a day with me and was probably bored out of his mind.

Comment

• efarstad
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jun 2001

Wowzers Bob...bore me please!

I'd love to be on your list for Two Towers...that way I can see my Buddy Paul again and his wonderful wife!

This is very generous of you my friend. If you want boring...I'll tell you about the NEPA process of doing an Environmental Assessment! 8O

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                          E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                          E-Cinema

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

Bob, what makes you so interesting to the rest of us here is the very fact you have spent your entire career in the film industry. No way could you ever bore us. Please drop a little tale now and then.

My Homepage!
                            My Homepage!

Comment

• Bob
                              • Jul 2000

Lex and Burke, hope you enjoyed the movies. I wanted to share them with more members but, am leaving for Sante Fe on Monday and wont be returning until June.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

bob couldn't we ship them around between us instead of coming back to you all the time?

Comment

• Lex
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Apr 2001

Bob, as I told you by email, it was an awesome experience watching Twin Towers on my theater. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to truly enjoy it at reference levels for long, as my daughter was going to bed, it was late, and a late evening for me considering I worked the next day.

What was cool? Well, it tells you right off, this DVD is prepared for the Acadamy Awards. Every now and then in the movie, a message appeared at the bottom of the screen. "For your consideration". In other words, those scenes were thought to be award worthy, and usually were!

Interestingly, I found myself paying closer attention then, as if I was a reviewer! That was pretty cool indeed. 8)

Thanks Bob for a great experience, and one to remember a long time.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                                  Doug
                                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                    • Sep 2001

Bob -

It was an interesting experience to be watching a movie in my home that I would otherwise only be able to see at a commercial theater (right now, anyway). Now I kind of know what it must be like to be a member of the Academy watching a movie with an eye toward the awards (particularly since the DVD flashed the words "For screening purposes only" every few minutes). :>) And especially with such a long movie (nearly three hours) it is nice to be able to hit "pause" and go to another room for a couple of minutes :>) without missing out on any of the drama.

I enjoyed the experience and understand even better than before the need for quick turn around, given that you are temporarily relocating to Santa Fe. My only regret is that I didn't have enough time to arrange to get together with some of my local friends whom I am sure would have enjoyed watching it too. But since it was mid-week, and my own schedule only gave me one evening to view it (the day after I learned it was on its way) I had to take advantage of the opportunity as it was presented.

Thanks again for sharing... I have a feeling a whole lot more people will want to be watching "Gangs Of New York" on DVD later in the year! :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
                                    😀
                                    😂
                                    🥰
                                    😘
                                    🤢
                                    😎
                                    😞
                                    😡
                                    👍
                                    👎
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"