X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS... a revisit.

This film is based on a Pulitzer-Prize winning stageplay by David Mamet. He also wrote the screenplay. The film was released in 1992, and was one of the few movies ( in fact the only movie) I saw that year. So it was a real thrill to fire up the projector and watch this long time favorite of mine in my own home theater.

The story is about a groups of real estate salesmen who( with the exception of Pacino's character) are under the gun to close their next sale or get themselves fired. A slick salesman, played by Alec Baldwin, is sent from the HO downtown to deliver this message, and boy does he. Some crummy ( and old ) leads are handed out and the men are told to take them and close a sale that night. But what is really bothering the boys is the batch of hot new Glengarry sales leads that could turn everything around for all of them. But downtown won't hand them out. They are for closers, not losers, and they will be kept in the safe overnight. Well, someone decides to take matters in their own hands and steals the Glengarry leads, leaving the question of who done it.

The film stars, along with Alec Baldwin, Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Ed Harris, Kevin Spacey, and Alan Arkin. And to watch these guys together under the same roof is just mesmerizing. Why this film didn't knock over an Oscar or two is something I will never understand. If you like top notch acting, drama and characterizations that ring of the truth, then you must see this film.

As for the picture quality... this is reference quality. And although the credits do not indicate a DTS soundtrack, one is offered on the dvd, along with the DD 5.1.

I haven't watched the extras as yet, but there is a tribute to Jack Lemmon that I am really looking forward to. His is probably the best of all the performances in this film, and that is really saying something, because they all shine true and solid.

:5:

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

George,

It seems like a good one. I haven't seen it so, I'll place it in my rental queue.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

You won't be sorry, John.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"