X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

Pitch Black

As I left the theater I swore I'd NEVER buy this movie, I thought it was the worst sci-fi I'd seen all year...next to Battlefield Earth.
    Yesterday I'm on my way home from work, realizing that I feel like watching some mindlessly sci-fi fun, in my mind I go through all my mindlessly fun titles...hummmm, I NEED something new. I pop into my favorite DVD store and buy...Pitch Black.
    I'm thinkin' "Kenny, your an idiot, and you have the dreaded DVD sickness."
    So after the family is tucked away in bed, I fire up the system and pop this bit of sci-fi hell into the player...What was I thinking? this flick is not that bad, good effects, neat creatures, above average cliche ridden acting. Stories nothing special, people crash on nasty planet and must work together to get off...oh-hum
    The one thing that did piss me off about this movie was the macho fight in the middle of trying to reach safely, wouldn't any thinking person at least wait until they reached safety??? I think so. Plus wouldn't the pilots face have been burned off during that crash landing? If not, her arms and face would have been sandblasted off when the windshield broke!
    Anyway it's mindless fun, and I will watch it again.
    Loved the atmospheric color changes due to whichever type sun was dominate at the time.
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Hey Kenny, did you get the unrated version? And if so do you think it made any difference?

I've avoided this movie, but I may buy it if I need another dvd slot filled in my collection. I'm a sucker for Sci-Fi. Plus did it have good sound? ie surround effects and bass?

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• KennyG
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2000

Paul, actually I kept looking for what made this "new" version unrated...I could find nothing that was different, I don't know, some 4 letter bombs maybe? there's no more blood than the theater release. Didn't seem any different to me.
      The sound field is O.K. nothing special, and the rears are not nearly as active as you'd think a movie with alot of creatures that go bump in the night should be. Front sound stage is good, rear is alittle weak.

Comment

• Huskerduck
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2000

watching it in DTS is great, the rears are prominant and the bass is booming, My wife said she jumped more at this flick then any shes seen and I on the other hand thought it was just enjoyable, just as good as the rest of the crap theyve handed us this year anyways, I like it when they dont sport big money actors and theres only 1 - 2 recognizable faces......I rate it along with Run Lola Run as a pleasant surprise that kept ya watching
        Mark

Mark

Ducks Meager Theater
        Mark

Ducks Meager Theater

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I thought the surrounds had a lot action. I viewed the DTS unrated version. It was if nothing else entertaining. I enjoyed it. Never saw the theater version.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"