X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

John Sayles latest on dvd...

It's called The Sunshine State. It stars Timothy Hutton, Alan King, Mary Steenburgen, Ralph Waite, Angela Basset, and a few others. It's about a a bunch of land developers competeting to buy up land in a small Florida seaside community. But mostly it is about the townsfolk, their attitude toward the developers, and their own individual stories.
    This is basically a character study film, with the characters each weaving their own storyline within the main storyline. I felt it was a bit overly ambitious for John Sayles. In this one, he tries to cover too much territory characterwise. It jumps around a lot and is hard to follow at times, and some of the character stories were incomplete. Maybe the problem is with the fact that Sayles Wrote, Directed and Edited the entire film, and maybe he was too close to see the forest for the trees.
    But I like John's work ( Lonestar, in particular) so I was not completely unhappy, just not happy enough to add it to my collection. Beware, if you decide to try it, it is 2 1/2 hours and moves slowly.
    :3::

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
Working...
😀
😂
🥰
😘
🤢
😎
😞
😡
👍
👎
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"