X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Warner DVD Exec leaves

The guy at WB who pushed for lower priced DVDs, figuring volume would yield more profits than higher pricing, has left the company, citing displeasure with the rate of advancement he has had.

Hope he goes to work for another home video division at another media conglomerate and pushes the same agenda.

BB
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Brandon, is the WB exec Warren Lieberfarb ? He is, or was, the president of WB home video. If he is gone, it will be a sad loss for Warner Video, and a big gain for somebody else. Is the story on line somewhere ?

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

Heard it on radio news. Don't remember his name, sorry.

BB

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

It was Warren Lieberfarb, 20-year president of Warner Home Video and the "godfather of DVD." He really pushed DVD in its infancy, with his studio releasing numerous titles when other studios were only parcelling out a few, and reducing prices along the way. He also helped lead the charge against Circuit City's DIVX debacle.
        The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.

Some "analysis" of the story:

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Another company loosing sight of what and WHO are important. Simply amazing.

We owe a lot to him, kudos, a job well done!

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Yes, we do owe him a lot for his support of DVD, but . . . .

You knew that was coming right? But, isn't he also the guy that's pushing the lower capability, red-laser version of HD-DVD? Warner has beaucoup patents on the whole red-laser DVD environment and stands to lose it's major influence (and income) if the true, high-capability blue-laser HD-DVD system is chosen as the standard. Maybe there is more to this than meets the eye.

Just thinking out loud. . . .

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Tex may have something there. Accoding to the January issue of WSR in the Editor's Couch, The DVD Forum group has decided to adopt the 0.6mm bonded blue laser disc as proposed by NEC and Toshiba. On top of this, the rival group consortium proposing another BluRay disc with a 0.1mm cover layer was rejected by by DVD Forum but has decided to go on their own. So there will be two HD DVD formats out there, and maybe three if Warner decides to go it alone with its red laser proposal.

Could Leiberfarb have been in the middle of this mess ? Time will tell. But for now, it looks like there will be a HD DVD format war and so we can be sure that HD DVD will still be several years off, not only because of this mess, but because the studios are still waiting for an acceptable copy protection proposal for HD DVD.

This bodes well for the D-VHS Theater folk and will probably buy them a few more years. But JVC will have to make players at a lower price point and the movies themselves will have to be cheaper.

What a bloody mess. Looks like I'll be watching 480p dvds for some time to come.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"