X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Watched K-19 The Widowmaker...

I'm sure everyone knows this is a sub movie about a nuclear meltdown at sea on a Russian sub in the sixties. Based on true events, the film stars Harrison Ford and Liam Neeson.

This film didn't do all that well at the boxoffice. I guess Ford fans just didn't dig him as a Russian navy captain. Well I didn't mind it, but the accent thing left me a little cold. As for the story, well it had enough suspense and conflict to keep me interested.

Pretty much all the sub scenes and sub exterior shots were filmed in Halifax. The sub was still drydocked at the Halifax Shipyards long after the film was shot, then sold to someplace in the US and towed there. I was in Halifax a few times during the making of K-19. Saw the sub but didn't see much of Ford or Liam Neeson, though a friend saw them both doing some nightclub prowling around the city after dark.

Although I liked the film, it doesn't hold a candle to Das Boot, or U571 for that matter. But there are some interesting scenes in K-19 where your subwoofer is given a good test. Since most of the film takes place inside a dimlighted sub, picture quality is hard to gauge. Outdoor scenes, though, were excellent.

This will probably be a renter for most, but a keeper for me due to the fact that most of it was filmed in my backyard, and for the fact it is a Kathryn Bigelow film.

Be forewarned, though, the scenes involving radiation sickness are pretty chilling.

BTW, you gotta hear the musicsacore on this film. Just beautiful.
    :35:

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
Working...
😀
😂
🥰
😘
🤢
😎
😞
😡
👍
👎
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"