X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Soon To Be Viewed

K 19 THE WIDOWMAKER Gotta own this. It was filmed here.

GLENGARRY GLENROSS Pacino, Spacey, Alec Baldwin, Jack Lemmon, all together. WOW.

MINORITY REPORT Got good reviews for Speilberg.

SERPICO an oldie with excellent acting by Pacino.

BLUE STEEL an early Kathryn Bigelow film starring Jamie Lee Curtis

FIREFOX not one of Clint Eastwoods's better films, but it belongs with the rest of his films in my collection.

And I do believe I will be replacing my laserdisc version of LAST OF THE MOHICANS with the anamorphic DTS dvd.

These titles should keep me busy for awhile.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Blue Steel? Why?

With Highlander's Kurgan as a good guy, yet.

BB

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

George, the Director's Cut of The Last Of The Mohicans in DTS is stunning visually and sonically! If you can, keep the laserdisc long enough to do an A/B comparison and let us know how they stack up, okay?

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Will do, Tex.

" Blue Steel . Why ? " Cause I'm a Kathryn Bigelow fan, Brandon.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

George, did you ever get an opportunity to do the Last Of The Mohicans laser disc/DVD comparison?

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Sorry, Tex, I meant to report on that. Yes, the dvd was way ahead of the pic quality of the laserdisc. On the LD, anyway, dialogue was low while action was loud. To a degree, the DTS dvd is also like that, but not nearly as bad as the LD.

Now I have to point out that in comparing Pic Quality, I am viewing both the LD and DVD on an 8 foot wide screen. The differences may not be that apparent on a smaller display.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

K 19 THE WIDOWMAKER Gotta own this. It was filmed here.
              The ice scenes were filmed on Lake Winnipeg as well. Its a pretty decent movie but I'm not sure I'd buy it.

Last of the mohicans is a favorite of mine though...esp the sound track:T

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                • Sep 2001

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                GLENGARRY GLENROSS Pacino, Spacey, Alec Baldwin, Jack Lemmon, all together. WOW.
                Even though I am a fan of David Mamet, who wrote the script as well as the play from which it was derived, and the actors put in individually powerful performances, and there were some very memorable scenes (such as the "motivational" sales meeting "what's my name? F*ck you. That's my name"), :>) this is one movie where the whole is LESS than the sum of its parts. In the end, despite its strong points, it leaves me hanging with a "what's the point?" kind of feeling.

I can get past the incessantly salty language and the dreary, depressing setting but the whole thing was such a downer, with no redemption in sight, I've never really had much of an urge to watch it again, even though I was impressed enough from seeing it in the theater to buy it on laser disc over seven years ago. (One viewing, and it has stayed on the shelf since then.) Nevertheless, when you get around to watching the DVD... it is definitely worth seeing for the acting.

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                MINORITY REPORT Got good reviews for Speilberg.
                OTOH, Minority Report was one of last year's two best movies (that I saw, anyway). For it to have only gotten one Oscar nomination when the bloated, lumbering, way-overhyped "Gangs of New York" got a fistful (but thankfully no statuettes) shows how the Academy is biased against sci-fi and possibly still holds a grudge against Spielberg's commerical success. (He only seems to get nominated for his "serious" movies, not the more "commercial" ones, although in many ways Minority Report was serious, too.)

Tom Cruise hits just the right notes in his role, (he really acts the character, instead of just walking through as "big star Tom Cruise"), and the rest of the cast does a nearly perfect job of rounding out the story with believable and nuanced performances. The special effects are dazzling, and there is even a chase scene of note, but all of those serve the story rather than just calling attention to themselves.

While some people say they had the conclusion "wrapped up" 15 minutes before the end, I can say that although I "guessed" the ending at least that early, there were enough plot twists and red herrings to make the conclusion a surprise even though it was one of several alternatives that had been "obviously possible".

I think in years to come this will stand out as one of the director's finest as well as one of his most entertaining achievements. I am really glad the DVD of this one is as good as it is -- the movie certainly will be a frequent feature in my HT!

Enjoy!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Dean McManis
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • May 2003

I also like several of David Mamet's movies, although sometimes the dialog and acting is artificial and stageplay-like (on purpose).
                  I'm sure that he meant GG to portray that sullen depressing feeling of helplessness, but I would personally have never put up with that kind of abuse, and found it hard to personally relate to the movie, or want to watch it again.

Minority Report was a plesant surprise for me, as I missed it in the theaters and was amazed that (unlike the movie trailer) it was not just anotrher action film, but an interesting mystery. With a compelling, interwoven story, and good characters.

Personally, I liked Firefox. It is of course dated, as many pre-Soviet Union collapse films are, but still an enjoyable movie to watch for me.

-Dean.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Early in my publishing career, I was an advertising sales rep so the stuff in Glengarry Glenross hit home for me. I know that sinking feeling when the pressure is on and sales are hard to come by.

As for Mamet. It kinda irks me that he demands dialogue be spoken as written. Sometimes it just doesn't come across as natural as it should. But I DO like and admire his work.

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                      Former Moderator
                      • Jan 2002

George, is your LD transported and processed the same way as your DVD? cables > coaxial/toslink>>>>>S-video/component etc?

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
                      CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

My upcoming viewing includes:

Cats And Dogs
                        Father Goose
                        Glory
                        Harvey
                        High Noon
                        Operation Petticoat
                        Spartacus
                        Steven Hawking's Universe
                        The Alamo
                        The Devil's Own
                        The Four Feathers
                        Them

What's on your "to view" list?

David - HTGuide flunky
                        Our "Theater"
                        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

Clive,
                          I have one of the early ld/dvd combi players from Pioneer. They didn't have component, so for LD I use S-Video. But sound is through a coax digital out to my Denon.

My Homepage!
                          My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"