X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matiu
    • Jan 2003

RSX-1055 Vs Marantz SR7300

Hi, I'm a first time visitor to Club Rotel and relatively new to Home Theatre. I've put some speakers aside (Monitor Audio Silver 8i's & 10i centre) and I was looking at buying the Marantz SR7200 AV Receiver. Then I heard it was being upgraded to SR7300 (6x110wpc into 8ohms all channels driven, 7.1 channel, 24/192 DACs etc).

And then, just a week ago, I heard about the RSX-1055 (arrives in New Zealand late Jan/ early Feb). But its specifications seem quite light compared to all its competitors at the price point and the literature is less than revealing. The RSX-1055 comes on the market at NZ$3,500 and is only rated at 5x75wpc. The new Marantz SR7300 is NZ$2,500 and on paper at least appears to be a better buy. The SR7300ose (Original Special Edition) begins production this month and comes with upgraded componentry, more power and the RC3200 remote.

While I strongly suspect that the Rotel is a good product its more expensive than the Marantz and has less features. Is the Rotel worth another $1k ?????? Just how well does the RSX-1055 compare to competitors like Denon 3803, Marantz SR7300, Arcam DiVA AVR200i and very well recieved Pioneer VSX-D2011 (all about NZ$2500-3500) ???????

Sorry for going on (and on), but I love the look and feel of the RSX-1055 and Rotel have a great reputation. I just don't want to feel short changed after purchase and i'd like to be able to still enjoy it 10 years from now!
    Thanks again Club Rotel
    Matiu

Matiu
    Matiu
  • phuz
    • Jan 2003

Good question.

You came to a Rotel forum to ask that question, so I think most of the answers that you will get are going to say "Get the Rotel!"

They are both good products, and it's really a matter of opinion. You might want to think of the traditional "Bells and Whistles Vs. Quality and Simplicity" or "Quantity Vs. Quality" arguments.

I will say that with the Rotel product you will be getting a better build quality, ergonomics, and usability that you may not get with the Marantz. You may also want to research both companies and look at their history of customer service, warranties, and overall integrity of the company. That should help you make your decision and determine if the extra $1000 is worth it.

Have you listened to them both? If not you should. You can always just go with the one that sounds the best.

Welcome to the club, and let us know what you choose.

==============
    -phuz

My Setup
    ==============
    -phuz

Comment

• Alex Prosak
      • Jan 2003

Matiu,

While Marantz claims 110W x 6, all channels driven, I seriously doubt that the 7300 will actually produce that. It is a good piece of equipment but I know in prior tests, Marantz has been generous in their power ratings. The Rotel on the other hand is conservative. However, if it gets loud enough for your listening tastes, it doesn't really matter. The best thing to do is wait until you have a chance to audition both of them and then make your decision.

Alex

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
        • Sep 2002

I'm one of the few people who traded his Rotel RSX-1065 for a Marantz SR-9200.

In your case, I think the Rotel has a little more dynamics. I don't think however it's a big difference. The bass of the Marantz will be more tight. And the Marantz has 6 amplifiers, the Rotel just 5.

The main advantage of Marantz SR-7300 is that it uses the newest 32-bit Cirrus Logic DSP CS494xx (which by the way is probably also used in the upcoming Rotel RSP-1098 ). It also has DTS96/24, which the Rotel lacks. The DAC's are all 24bit/192kHz. The Rotel has the previous 24-bit Cirrus Logic DSP CS493xx and 24bit/96kHz DAC's.
        This difference makes that the surroundsound of the Marantz is more smooth, has more detail and a broader soundstage.

The Marantz has one disadvantage. For detecting a digital signal it takes about 1-2 seconds. Some people find that very annoying. But most people accept this handicap, because of the good sound (both stereo and HT) from the Marantz.

If the pricedifference between the Marantz and Rotel is that great, why don't you take a look at the Marantz SR-8200? With that unit I'm sure that dynamics also will be in favor of the Marantz.

The best thing you can do is listen for yourself.
        Good luck on choosing.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Welcome to the forum! Remember we're more then just club rotel

I'd be careful with some of the X200 models from maratnz given some of the issues they apparently had but the 8300 should have cleared those up by now (guessing) I'm glad we don't have to pay the amounts you guys do for equipment...given that a kiwi dollar and a canadain buck are pretty close you're paying 1K more then us (actually a little more then that 8O )

Anyway as much as I hate to say it given the huge price differences I'd give the Marantz a try first...that's not to say you wouldn't pick the Rotel over the 8300 if all things were equal but that's a huge price difference to over come.

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
            • Sep 2002

Andrew, which issues on the x200 are you talking about. :?:

And in your answer, with 8300 you probably mean 7300 I guess. :idea:

Comment

• sndtowne
              • Jan 2003

>

Are your SURE the Marantz channels are driven all at the same time? And if so, is the power rated at 20-20KHz or merely 1KHz? As far as power goes you need to take a close look at HOW the power per channel spec is stated. For example: Sony ES, Yamaha, and several others state their (receivers) power with TWO channels driven at a time, while Rotel states theirs with all FIVE channels driven at the same time 20-20KHz. Big difference.

When Stereophile Guide to Home Theater tested the power of Sony ES and Yamaha 100 WPC receivers with all five channels driven at the same time - they were only able to deliver about 76 WPC - which is right in line with the Rotel, only the Rotel has a much beefier power supply and actually drives speakers much better. The Rotel receivers can drive lower impedence speaker loads much better than most other receivers (within the same general price range) because Rotel receivers are cabable of delivering much more current to the speakers (because of their overbuilt power supplies).

If a company does not STATE their power rating is with ALL channels driven, you can be sure its not. For example: Sony stated their power on one receiver as -

Front channels 100+100 WPC, Center channel 100 Watts, Surround Channels 100+100 WPC. To the uninformed, it might look like they were rating power with all five channels driven. But it actually means, when tested, only two channels were being driven at a time.

I would also like to point out that both the Sony ES and Yamaha receivers in this test were about $300 (U.S.) less expensive than the Rotel receiver - proving once again that you don't get something for nothing.

Bruce
              Bruce

Comment

• Madd
                • Jan 2003

From specs I have read on recievers being bench tested on what the manufacturer claims WPC falls way short of there claims. This includes Denon,Yamaha,Sony,Pioneer, etc......Denon top of the line claim 170 WPC only puts out like 138. 100 WPC claims by these receivers put out about 76 to all channels. Rotel is about the only receivers that I know of that puts out above it's claims of WPC to all channels. But it is not only the WPC it is also the Current the unit is putting out. Rotel delivers the goods Hope this helps !

Never argue with a fool,one may not know the difference!
                Never argue with a fool,one may not know the difference!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

One problem I've heard about is the hissing in the 7300's as seen here and there were issues with the power output for the X200 models but then again a friend of mine (Jeff Kowerchuck) quite likes his so ?

Comment

• dunc
                    • Feb 2003

Hi, I too am a first time visitor/member to HTGuide.

I've been looking for a replacement for my Denon AVR2801 as I've had to resort to using my old NAD 306 stereo amp for 2-channel music. I currently use a spare set of speaker cables, swapping cables at the speaker end when changing between cd on the NAD and all other sources on the Denon.

I'm considering the following replacements:

Rotel RSX-1055
                    NAD T762
                    Arcam AVR 200
                    Harman-Kardon AVR 5500
                    Pioneer VSX-D2011

I haven't considered Marantz as I demo'd the their 5200 over a year ago and was very disapointed.

The Rotel seems to win in terms of ability to drive more difficult loads, although I'm not quite sure if my PSB Image 5Ts fronts are that difficult at 6ohms/92dB?

And yes, we do pay a lot more for our hi-fi here in NZ, partly due to shipping, and import taxes for hi-fi gear, but mostly, I suspect, due to some greedy importers. For example, a NAD and ARCAM unit which may not even have $200 USD price difference, usually has at least a $1000 NZD difference - which can't be explained simply in terms of taxes and exchange rates!

Anyway, in the off chance that anyone is still following this thread, I'd appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Matiu - I'm also from Wellington - which receiver did you end up buying? Where did you see the Pioneer?

Cheers,
                    Dunc

Comment

• killa
                      • Feb 2003

Hello All, I'm a first timer here too, being led here in pursuit of searching for info on the RSX-1055. I am almost decided and narrowed the search between this and the NAD 762. I'm still to hear them side by side.

Sounds like you are getting ripped off in NZ. RRP in aust is $2500 AUD and you can get for $2000 to $2200 AUD. From checking the exchange rates this is ~$2300 NZD. You might want to check the Rotel Distrubutor here and see if any one will ship over. http://www.internationaldynamics.com.au

Alternatively you could probably fly over a grab one for less cost.

Interesting the Denon 3803 has a RRP of $2700AUD which makes the Rotel a lot more bang for the buck.

killa

Comment

• dunc
                        • Feb 2003

Hi killa,

I've pretty much narrowed by shortlist down to the Rotel, Arcam, and NAD. The others all quoted their ratings into only 2 channels simulatenously, so they're out for now. The Arcam and Rotel are both $3500 NZD RRP, and the NAD is $2800 NZD RRP. Given both the feature list and prices, the NAD is looking good, and the Arcam is looking expensive, with the Rotel taking the middle road. Plus I can usually get a discount on NAD products.

Ultimately I'm going to let my ears decide over my wallet, however, none of the dealers here can get stock for any of these units, so I won't be able to listen to them until March sometime!

I find it interesting that the same company imports Rotel to both Australia and NZ, and yet there is a huge difference in RRP. Given the minor overseas price difference between similarly priced products, the large variances in NZ prices can really only be attributed to the exporters and importers. I've noticed that the bigger price differences tend to belong to brands imported by companies that only import higher-end and/or lesser known gear.

Even paying GST and duty to get a Rotel into NZ from Australia should work out cheaper. I haven't checked, but if Rotel have a worldwide warranty, shipping from Australia might be a very viable option.

Anyway, back to the topic - I think that either the NAD or Rotel should a good choice - so come March if there isn't a huge difference in sound quality, I'll probably favor the NAD given the price difference.

Cheers,
                        Dunc

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"