X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sonnie Parker
    • Jan 2002

Imported DVD's

Do you own any imported DVD's?

I am curious because I'm considering purchasing one but don't know anything about imports.

I want a copy of Scarface. Out of print, as many of you probably already know.

I've searched everywhere and have found a few that I believe to be originals on e-bay, but they are $75-$85.

I've also found on e-bay some imports as low as $20. All of these claim to be new and sealed (not DVD-R) imported DVD's in cases but without inserts on the inside. The sellers are power sellers with good ratings. I've found some lower but I'd be ordering from Malaysia or Hong Kong and I ain't comfortable with that.

What would you do if you really wanted the DVD?

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Are these Region 1 imports?

Personally Sonnie, I'd wave off. The Hong Kong/Malaysia sourced-DVDs could easily be gray or black-market, and I don't want to do ANYTHING that could support the illegal sales of movies.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
      • Jan 2002

David,

They state either Region 1 or All Region.

So, if you really wanted the DVD would you pay the higher price?

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I agreewith Tex, Sonnie, Hong Kong and Malaysia are likely blackmarket. Though I have never seen any of their imports, I did read from time to time that the quality was poor, so they were likely copies.

The Japan imports seem to be pretty good, though. But as for me, if i really wanted a title bad enough, I'd pay the price in order to be sure I was getting a quality disc.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

So, if you really wanted the DVD would you pay the higher price?
          Only if I could verify that it's not a black-market disc. If I could do that, darn right I'd pay extra to get something I otherwise wouldn't be able to purchase. Supply and demand, fella.

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Sonnie,

I'm with these guys on this one. It's pretty difficult to know before hand if it's a grey/black market item.

However, like David said, if you can prove that it is OEM, I say go for it!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
              • Jan 2002

Okay, so let me clearly clarify this, I'm a little confused :roll: .

It is definitely import (not sure from where) but stated as dual layer 9 (supposedly highest quality) and according to feedback on the power sellers the disk is good quality and about 99% seem to be quite satisfied. Again, not a DVD-R but an import produced in another country.

If the above is the true scenario then is it an import issue or quality issue with you guys?

IOW, would you buy the import if you felt comfortable with the quality or would you pay the extra and get the OEM?

I feel like the OEM is truly original but I hate to spend that much money when feedback indicates the import is good quality. But, if owning an import is a really bad thing then I don't want that either.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Let me try a two part answer on this.

First: If it's a legitimately produced DVD then I have no reservations about purchasing it no matter where it came from, if the disc quality is good. If the quality is not good, I'd have to balance how much I wanted it against how bad the quality is. Example: I waited years for The Final Countdown to come to DVD and once I got it, the quality was worse than VHS. I'm so disappointed/mad that it wasn't worth it to get the disc.

Second: If it's not a legitimate (ie. it's a black-market) disc, you couldn't get me involved with it no matter how good the quality is.

Does that help?

David - HTGuide flunky
                Our "Theater"
                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                  • Jan 2002

Yep, I think so, that is if black-market is the same as import.

Thanks!

Patrick was saying over in TTP that the original was not good quality so maybe I should just not purchase it, especially at $85.

Better yet, maybe I can find a VHS copy and have someone burn it to DVD for me, since I don't have a VCR anymore.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Uh, $85 for a single movie? Yeah, that would make it a pass for me.
                    :later:

David - HTGuide flunky
                    Our "Theater"
                    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

The fact that it is an import wouldn't rule it out for me. The only concern I would have is whether or not it is a crummy copy made in somebody's basement. I've bought import laserdiscs and cds in the past and their quality has been excellent. But these were always purchased from well known retail outlets that had good return policys if you weren't satisfied.

Now I have the dvd that was released in 1998, and although the picture quality isn't pristine or reference material, I certainly found it acceptable. The problem is, it's non-anamorphic Would I pay $85 for it ? No way. I think I'd just be patient. I'm sure it will be released, or it may even pop up as a previously viewed disc sometime in the future. And, if it has never been re-issued on anamorphic dvd, then perhaps Universal will do so as a special edition or something somewhere down the road.

My Homepage!
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                        • Jan 2002

Good thought there George. If it's not anamorphic then I don't think I would want it. That, I haven't checked on. I kinda doubt the imports would be but I don't know.

I had almost convinced myself to take a risk on the import at $23 + $5 shipping from one of the power sellers just so I'd have a copy.

This is one store that has the imports for sale but I'm not familiar with them and there's not much on their site about themselves so I was a little leary.

I think I can wait. If the movie is that popular, then as you say, it may come out as a re-release and possibly enhanced.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                          • Jan 2002

Well, maybe I'm spinning here and talking out of both sides of my mouth, but.....

I figured what the heck. I just bid on Scarface Anamorphic 2.35:1 DTS/DD 5.1 New/Sealed, Dual Layered 9, but an import.

The seller is a power seller with good ratings and 100% money back guarantee with an online store that I know nothing about.

I only bid $10.50 with $4.50 shipping from New York.

Who knows? Maybe the stupidest $15.00 I ever spent. That is if I win the bid.

EDIT: No bids on this item for a couple of days and all of the sudden I make the first bid and there's another bid within an hour. These sellers have this stuff rigged if I've ever seen rigged.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

Let us know what happens, Sonnie. I would be particularly interested in the quality and whether or not it is truly anamorphic.

My Homepage!
                            My Homepage!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2001

Hey, Sonnie, I read elsewhere that the Scarface Region 2 ( Europe, etc.) disc is anamorphic. If it is, that import could be a good deal.

My Homepage!
                              My Homepage!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                • Jan 2002

Well, I bit the bullet and grabbed an import copy and paid $20.98 shipped.

It claims anamorphic so we'll see when it arrives.

I figured I may as well own one import DVD just to see what they are all about.

The feedback seemed to be good on the DVD quality but no one compared it to the original.

I'll report back.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Lex
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Apr 2001

Now, the bidder that outbid you will retract on the ebay copy, and you will win it too, lol. :

Lex
                                  Doug
                                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Lex
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Apr 2001

What makes you say the bids are rigged? You think they were fishing to up you, then if you don't up it, that bid disappears or it stays, the auction ends, then it goes up for sale again?

Lex
                                    Doug
                                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                      • Jan 2002

Well, maybe not rigged.... I don't know. But as you say it will be put back up if it falls through.

Quite possibly in order to get someones feedback up and good all they have to do is create numerous accounts and buy from themselves. I noticed a lot of first time bidders.

Not to mention if they are bidding just to get their price up then the true worth of the item is misrepresented.

Of course this all may not make sense because don't they have to pay a small fee if their item sells?

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                        • Jan 2002

Well about the time I hit submit the mail lady walked in with the Scarface DVD.

That was quick.

I opened up the package and it looks like the real thing.

On the front cover it has a small round silver hologram that reads SUPERBIT THX DTS ORIGINAL DVD9 along with a normal looking cover.

On the back is the normal stuff. It does say 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen along with DTS 5.1 and DD 5.1.

It has the Universal emblem and "2000 Layout and Design Columbia Tristar Home Video" on the back. In tiny print it has the normal copyright warnings.

This includes the 50 minute making of which I didn't think the import copy would.

The DVD itself looks like a regular DVD. Artwork/Label appears normal and has COLUMBIA TRISTAR and a bunch of other usual stuff printed.

The disk definitely does not look like a burned copy. It looks professional.

I will play it tonight and see what the picture does.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                          • Jan 2002

Okay, I've been watching the DVD.

It is definitely anamorphic 2.35:1

The quality is very good IMO. Not breathtaking but very good.

Now, when I say this, keep in mind that I have not seen the original version that I have read has very bad video quality.

Also keep in mind that I'm not an expert at determining video quality.

I can say it is acceptable and satisfying to me.

I am happy and glad I made the purchase but if there happens to be a re-release at a reasonable price I will purchase it since I've went against my norm in purchasing an import.

EDIT: I watched the movie again tonight paying close attention to the quality. This afternoon when watching I was doing other things too. I also put in a few other DVD's tonight that were exceptional video quality for comparison and I would probably have to retract my "very good" and say "fairly good". There are some scenes that are fuzzy but there are some scenes that do look excellent (one that comes to mind is the pool scene where Pacino ask Phifer to marry him). There is one segment about 2-3 minutes during the end that there is one of those vertical lines that I use to see at the drive-in movie. Not sure if it was a blimp in the disk or transfer. Overall for a 20 year old movie it's still acceptable and satisfying. I couldn't say it would be that acceptable if it were a movie of today.

The soundtrack is not that great. I'm not so sure you could really even call it 5.1 although my auto format decode in my pre/pro picked up DD 5.1. There was some use of the sub but not much. The dialog was not good as voices seem to be spread equally among all speakers. I did a little adjusting to the center and surrounds and it sounded better. I couldn't find a DTS track as the cover suggested nor could I find "the making of". Unless it's an easter egg, it aint' there.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2001

Sonnie, some of the artifacts you refer to sound familiar, though I haven't watched my version in some time. One thing is sure, what you describe in picture quality ain't no SUPERBIT version. As for the sound, the original version is just so-so. All in all, I don't think you did too badly for $20.

My Homepage!
                                            My Homepage!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                              • Jan 2002

I agree George, I haven't seen any Superbit DVD's yet but I could pretty much guarantee this one ain't superbit.

Yeah, for what I spent I'm satisfied. At least it is anamorphic.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• David Meek
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

Glad you came out happy Sonnie. Have to admit, It'd be cool to have a good anamorphic transfer of Scarface. :T

David - HTGuide flunky
                                                Our "Theater"
                                                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

Glad it all worked out Sonnie. Enjoy!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                                                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                                  😀
                                                  😂
                                                  🥰
                                                  😘
                                                  🤢
                                                  😎
                                                  😞
                                                  😡
                                                  👍
                                                  👎
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"