X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Extended FOTR

Anyone else watched this yet and come away indescribably pleased with the picture quality?

I don't own any superbit DVDs right now, and am curious how those with big-ass TVs and PJs would compare the new edition, the original and any superbit DVDs they might own. I might go buy a few if they are of similar quality to this.

The lack of compression artifacts on panned shots and moving objects was incredibly conspicuous. This is the most film like DVD I have seen. Happy happy joy joy. Now to figure out how to do with 3-1/2 hours less sleep every few nights.

BB
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I'm picking this one up for a friend's birthday and for myself this weekend. I have high expectations of it....

Also gonna get AOTC. Both I hear pretty much define current reference quality.

-Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I didn't bother with the Extended version of LOTR/FOTR. The PQ of original was pretty darn good, though. Does anyone know if there is a difference in PQ between the two ?

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

George - I have both.

There IS a VERY nocticeable difference. The theatrical version is a very good quality picture. The extended edition is wonderful.

I have watched the first version probably 6 times, and have now seen the new one 3.

They again maxed out the useage of space by spreading the movie across 2 disks, and it shows. But even apart from the improvements in the look of the movie, the added scenes make it really nice. They fill the story out and flesh out the characters and relationships some.

In short, if you like this movie at all, there really is no acceptable reason not to buy it. Your original version came with a $5 off coupon for this release too.

Buy buy buy buy buy!

Back to my original question - would anyone here care to compare superbit quality with either version of FOTR as far as PQ to give me a reference point?

BB

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Brandon, I'll be glad to compare the two FOTR's as soon as the remodel of the HT room is finished - that'll be another couple of weeks unfortunately. As far as comparing SuperBit directly to the FOTR disc, I can say that the SuperBits I have (The Patriot, Air Force One, 5th Element) generally are a bit cleaner and have a touch more detail than the original FOTR. From what everyone is saying about the extended edition, I'm expecting it to equal or slightly best my SuperBits. Again, I'll A/B them once the big TV (58" 16:9 Elite) is up again, and let everyone know what I find.

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• P-Dub
            Office Moderator
            • Aug 2000

I can't really compare the PQ of both releases as I only have a 27" screen.

I am so glad I bought the extended edition. I watch it over 2 days and the split between the disc was perfect, almost like watching 2 movies. The new material really made the movie that much better. It really gave a sense of distance and time passage between events and fleshed out some more of the characters.

I am looking forward to The Twin Towers.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
            Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Anyone else watched this yet and come away indescribably pleased with the picture quality?

I too was more than impressed, with the PQ and sound of the first release. On my 32", I can't begin to imagine it looking any better. Now I have to see the extended version.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Brandon B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2001

Lex -

In the spirit of your recent post, please feel free to retitle my thread

"Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, Extended Edition"

or alternatively

"ST:LTOR"

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

BB

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"