X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Regarding Attack Of The Clones

Please post your comments here on picture quality. This film(?) was filmed digitally, so in my opinion, it should be pristine on dvd. I'm getting different opinions all over the place. Some say it is terrible, and grainy, while others say it is pristine. I'll post my comments when I get my copy and view it. In the meantime, if you have watched it on your tv monitor or projector, please offer your comments.

Oh, and you may want to comment on the audio, too. That really seems to be getting a thumbs up in general.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Sound:
    Well send the damned thing back -- there's no DTS track. :>) Actually I cannot imagine how DTS could sound any better than this disc's Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX track -- truly superb. Surround effects are, well, "effective" :>) and not at all intrusive. (IOW, they pan naturally and add to the continuity of the sound field instead of being a jarring distraction). Bass is intense and there is plenty of it where it is called for -- but this is not just a "bass-o-rama" ride. :>)The bass is the foundation for action, but not the only reason to listen. Dialog is clear and distinguishable (that doesn't mean it is always understandable, but that is the script writer's fault, not the sound engineer's.) :>)

Picture Quality:
    Via my projector, the image of the Attack of the Clones (AOTC) DVD was pristine. Actually it was much more "film-like than I expected for a totally digital image. I commented to a friend that the picture was better at home than I remember it being in the commercial theater. (When I saw it there, the print had already gotten pretty well beat up.) Detail is very well rendered and depth of field is quite impressive -- for instance where Anakin and the senator are "picnicing" in the field, the strands of grass and the flowers in the foreground are individually distinguishable and in focus, as are both of the characters and the background -- an impressive bit of throw-away camera work.

Overall Impressions:
    All in all the disc is a technical tour-de-force. And thankfully, the movie itself is lightyears ahead of its immediate precdecessor in the Star Wars franchise in all the important areas -- story, sound, score, integration of CGI and "reality", technical effects, and acting (still not "Casablanca", but a major improvement over Ep I). :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

I agree with Burke. Watched this last night on my 120" screen. Anyone saying this transfer is grainy has a problem in their system. This is almost certainly the best picture quality I have seen on a DVD. Haven't received the new LOTR disks yet, bu it certainly is as good or a little better than the older one.

I watch Phantom Menace and am distracted by the dot crawling and EE artificats constantly. AOTC is the total opposite. I am distracted by the detail and clarity.

I do recall thinking one sequence (I can't recall which, just remember having the thought) which seemed to have a light haze to it. Might have been during the smoky aftermath of the ship exploding though.

I saw this movie 3 times in 70 mm in Westwood in one of the theaters where industry premieres and events are held (in other words, flawless presentation, beautiful quality). The DVD does not hold up against that. But compared to any cineplex theater, it is great.

Soundtrack was very good. Less bass intensive then I was expecting. Padme's ship exploding was the only scene that stressed my sub.

So summing up, in my opinion, the quality of this quite nearly makes up for the POS Lucas gave us in Ep I (speaking of DVD quality here, not the film itself. I actually like both of them quite a bit).

I couldn't be happier with it.

BB

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Hey, I can't comment on the PQ and SQ yet, but they've fixed the most glaring problem AFAIC. They didn't have Jar-Jar kill the whole thing. Yea!
        :banana:

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

David --

If Jar Jar had been on screen in AOTC for any more than the five or so minutes it took to get past those scenes, I wouldn't have been willing to buy the DVD, not even for $10. I agree that Jar Jar was the worst of many serious problems with Ep I, and was quite relieved, as you were, that they didn't let Jar Jar ruin Ep 2.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

No Jar Jar ? Lord be praised.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2001

Followup: Watched some the the EELOTR disk tonight. AOTC has been quickly deposed as best disk I've seen. The new LOTR has so little in the way of decompression artifacts even for pans and objects in motion, that it is just pure joy to watch. If all DVDs were available with this level of image quality, I would gladly pay $10 more per movie for them.

Wheres that HD-DVD?

BB

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by George
                No Jar Jar ? Lord be praised.
                Well, as Burke mentioned, it's not total. Just about 5 minutes or less of Jar-Jar, and those 5 minutes aren't too bad. In fact, he's partially responsible for the presence of the StormTroopers being present on the side of the Senate (at this point).

Originally posted by Brandon
                AOTC has been quickly deposed as best disk I've seen.
                To quote Keanu "Whoa!!!!"

David - HTGuide flunky
                Our "Theater"
                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Couldn't wait any more. I popped AOTC into the laptop here at the office yesterday at lunch and watched it on my new 21" Trinitron monitor running at 1600x1200. Can't comment on sound as I was using small headphones, but the image (from about 18") was surprisingly pleasing as far as color and detail go. Can't wait to see this on the big TV at home.

David - HTGuide flunky
                  Our "Theater"
                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Well I watched this movie last night on my 8 foot screen. Have to agree with Burke. Picture was very film-like. I was expecting a harder look due to the fact it was digital. I liked the look. As for the sound, well if you have a 6.1 setup, you are really gonna like it. And that low end... WOW.

As for the story, well I liked it better than Phanthom Menace. I also liked the way the ending indicated the direction episode 3 would take. Made me anxious to see it.

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2001

Now I thought the PQ on this was was superior in every way to Ep I, but some guys on another forum disagree with me. They think it is better overall, but softer. I think maybe they are being swayed by the EE on Ep I.

Whatchoo all think?

BB

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

What the hay, might as well weigh in with my 0.025 cents....

This is only a "preliminary" response, as the only viewing opportunity I've had was a preview of the first couple of scenes after popping a new Vid card and software player into my secondary HTPC system. The vid card is a GeForce 4 MX440, and the player is NVDVD2.0. Playback is at 1700X960.

Phantom Menace is unfortunately replete with EE (Edge Enhancement). On a lower resolution display this may look "sharper", but when viewing on a high res display, it's very annoying- I expect that kind of stuff on DSS, but on a THX DVD it has no business.

Just checking out the first scenes in AOTC, they must have had someone else do the mastering, because it's much better with fine detail, and exhibited little discernable EE in just a few places in those two chapters. That puts it in a whole new category as regards Lucas releases.

If you're a Star Wars fan this movie does have it's shortcomings with regards to dialog and acting, but it seems to deliver pretty well on the A/V front.

-Jon

Earth First!
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                        Obi-Wan
                        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

Many are saying the picture is soft, but to me that's what gives it its film-like look. As for EE, I really didn't see much of this at all, but I sure saw plenty on Phanthom Menace.

My Homepage!
                          My Homepage!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

A good example for fine detail is hair- such as Yoda's in the meeting in the office with Chancelor Palpatine, or the the queen's decoy's hair when she's lying on the ramp after the explosion of the ship. OTOH, some EE is visible on the transistion between Palpatine and his surroundings in some shots- maybe this is an artifact of the digital compositing they're using in the movie. Overall, though, it's pretty well done in what I've seen so far.

But frankly, most conventional NTSC TV's won't do the fine detail in some parts of this movie justice- unless someone making the complaints is using a well calibrated and converged front projector or some other high res imaging device, the complaints are suspect, IMO.

-Jon

Earth First!
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                            Obi-Wan
                            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"