X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpossum
    • Jan 2003

New DVD player at CES?

Does anyone know if Rotel announced a new DVD player at CES? I don't know if I should buy another brand right now or what (for how long?) for Rotel to announce a new replacement.
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Check the rack under the 1098 photos here, we think that's a new Rotel DVD player. Fairly evident by the Rotel DVD on top of it.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• jpossum
      • Jan 2003

any thoughts on when it's available in Canada? still only DVD-A compatiable or also SACD?

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
        • Dec 2002

It should be better if Rotel releases a new DVD player. The 1080 dvd player, is far to expensive, and is has not that quality Rotel normally has.

The concurrence is far more better, for a far less price (e.g. Denon dvd3800, Marantz 8300)

------------------------------------------------------
        Never drive faster than your Angel can fly!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I hope to fid out more about that model shown in the 1098 pictures but so far you guys know as much as I do...

Comment

• sndtowne
            • Jan 2003

>

I have ordered one of those new Rotel DVD discs (not the player) and will post the information as soon as I have it. (If someone else does not post it before.)
            Bruce

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

This just in!

The DVD player will be available late this spring time and sell for $899 US...it's the RDV 1060 with DVD Audio and has progressive scan.

Comment

• simonb68
                • Jan 2003

Interesting.. when I put some questions to Rotel (well B&W in the UK) about the RDV-1080, part of the reply included this quote about the new model. This was from Stephen Baker, Product Manager for B&W Loudspeakers UK. Looks like they have resolved their problems sooner than they thought.

"I have no news on a release date for the replacement model. Unfortunately we have been left in a very difficult situation as the supplier of the DVD drive suddenly told us that they were unable to provide the next three months stock of mechanisms and that has left us in a difficult situation, believe us we are very unhappy about this and are trying to resolve the situation, but probably will not have any further news until February."

Comment

• Claude D D
                  • Jan 2003

The RDV-1080 was a hot rodded JVC dvd/dvd audio player so hope fully the new player will be based on a better unit and have SACD and CD-R/RW capability.Also an IEC connection for the power cord instead of the cheap 2 prong job.

Comment

• Alex Prosak
                    • Jan 2003

With so many companies introducing universal players, I'm surprised the Rotel isn't. Might they have one on the horizon?

Comment

• Danbry39
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Sep 2002

I doubt very seriously that it will have a significantly better picture than the new Philips or Panasonics, so the leg up to justify its price, in my opinion, would have to be better audio and/or features. So, I agree that you'd think they would include both DVD A and SACD, as most every midrange DVD player now offers at least one of the two.

Keith
                      Keith

Comment

• Madd
                        • Jan 2003

It is the New RDV 1060 due out in like March. S&V buyers guide has it in there for $799.00. This player is suppose to play CDR/MP3 and will replace the RDV 1080. Rotel tells me they have not set a price on this unit and have no spec's for it. Seems strange :?

Never argue with a fool,one may not know the difference!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Madd I posted the list price above

"The DVD player will be available late this spring time and sell for $899 US...it's the RDV 1060 with DVD Audio and has progressive scan. "

Comment

• Madd
                            • Jan 2003

Andrew, Yes I read the post where you put the price at $899. Where did you get this price? As I posted it will be $799 that coming from S&V buyers guide. It is also suppose to play CDR/MP3 correct? Rotel told me they do not have a price set as of yet! :roll:

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

All my Rotel info comes from the VP for north america so I tend to trust his word Maybe its a case of one quoteing MSRP and the other not?

Comment

• sndtowne
                                • Jan 2003

I just received a RDV-1060 spec sheet if anyone has any questions.

I also just received a Rotel 1/1/2003 price sheet and it shows the price of the RDV-1060 "to be announced." It seems they have not set a rock solid price yet so I would go with what Andrew said since he got the information from Rotel's VP.

Bruce
                                Bruce

Comment

• jpossum
                                  • Jan 2003

I would be really interested to hear your thoughts on the specs as they compare to the Marantz 8300. I can't decide if I should buy the Marantz now or wait until the Rotel arrives. The nice thing with Marantz is that it has been tested and has got good reviews from a number of magazines.

I'm not a techy so the specs wouldn't mean anything to me. Price isn't as much a concern as opposed to which one would be better.

Comment

• Madd
                                    • Jan 2003

Andrew thanks again. But does it play CDR/MP3? I too would like to know how it compares to the Marantz 8300.

Comment

• Madd
                                      • Jan 2003

sndtowne, I would like to see that spec sheet "PLEASE" 8O

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

I don't know any specs yet and likely won't until it is closer to release time (April)

Comment

• sndtowne
                                          • Jan 2003

If anyone would like a copy of the spec. sheet, I will be glad to email you one. It opens in Adobe Acrobat.

Send request to: sndtowne@aol.com

OR, Andrew has a copy below.

Bruce
                                          Bruce

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

The new 1060 will use the ESS 6038 device and Crystal CS 4396 for a DAC

Here's a Leaflet on the new model.

Comment

• jpossum
                                              • Jan 2003

hmmm....Marantz 8300 has both SACD and DVD-A. Looks like Rotel only has DVD-A. Both do Dolby and DTS and both have Cirrus 192/24 DAC.

Is it just me or do the specs look very similar except that Marantz supports both formats of audio? I assume Marantz and Rotel would be very comparable in audio/video quality.

Comment

• Alex Prosak
                                                • Jan 2003

Doesn't the Marantz also retail for $1500? I don't think $700 is worth the addition of SACD over the new Rotel. I would possibly pay up to $1k for a good quality universal player though. IMHO, Rotel should include SACD and Marantz should drop their price.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

bump for bob

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
                                                    • Dec 2002

The 700 dollars more isn't only the SACD, think about picture quality, cd quality! The marantz is by far more complete.

Rotel makes good stuff, realy good stuff. But they can not build DVD players.

But, I have to say, the 1080 is one of my favorites if I only looking for the looks

Comment

• jpossum
                                                      • Jan 2003

Andrew,

Would you happen to know if this new DVD player has the chroma bug? If not, do you remember if the original 1080 did?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2000

I don't know what the DVD player will have or not have yet. Hopefully someone will try one and report back to us.

Comment

• mazuly
                                                          • Feb 2003

Hi,

I just don't understand why everybody is putting Rotel RDV-1080 DVD player down. I have been seeing it here and there on this thread. I own one and the picture as well as audio qualities are excellent. The only shortcoming is that it does not play CD-R and it is picky about playing CD-RW.

Did you guys auditioned this DVD and thought it was low in quality or just saying it because it uses JVC internals, because it is expensive or because so and so magazine did not give it high marks. Most players use other manufacturer’s internals, but the difference is how they are implemented within Rotel electronics. It’s like saying the Meridian DVD players are bad because they use DVD-ROM internals. And don’t get me started on magazine reviews.

I am not saying this player is the best player in the world, but it is still a very good player.

As for the new player, I think that it is very promising and I am glad that they finally resolved the issues with CD-R playback. But again, I caution people to go and audition this product before jumping to conclusion that other manufactures have better audio/video quality than this model. How could someone say that when the unit is not even out yet!

Thanks,
                                                          Maziar

Comment

• Madd
                                                            • Jan 2003

The mag reviews I read gave the Rotel RDV 1080 high marks for "PICTURE" quality as well as sound quality. The price got dropped to 1K too. I would think the new RDV 1060 will be alot better and I am waiting to get one. The Marantz is nice but for $1500 I will pass. I would get the Arcam over the Marantz anyday. Marantz to me is overpriced and they make a horrible looking Plazma TV. All this DVD A and SACD, how many formats are manufactures suppose to put in these things. I think the sound of 2 channel or a DTS recorded DVD disc sounds much better anyway. The new RDV 1060 looks even better at $899

Comment

• mazuly
                                                              • Feb 2003

NO IT DOESN"T LOOK BETTER AND I AM SURE IT DOE NOT HAVE BETTER QUALITY.

Just kidding :LOL:

Actually it does look better and I am sure it uses better electronics.

Maziar

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Dec 2000

Hey, BTW, what is this Rotel DVD disc that a couple of people have mentioned? A promo out there?

CHRIS
                                                                Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                                                                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                                - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"