• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

A good old fashioned War Film...

WINDTALKERS.

John Woo, the master of action films, does his magic in Windtalkers. It's a good old fashioned war film, and though the back story deals with how Navajos were used ( their native tongue) to create a code for communications. It was the one wartime code that was never broken. But the film only touches on this briefly. It is more the story of Nick Cage's character, who among other things, must protect one of the Windtalkers ( Adam Beach) and if necessary kill him to protect the code. I would have liked to see the story deal more with the Navajos,l but Woo makes up for that by providing us with some scary and bone rattling action scenes that will test your audio system.

Not the best in a recent crop of war films, but worth seeing and/or owning.
    :4:

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

George,

Here's a link to my review of the film when it was released in June. Agreed that it's not the best - We Were Soldiers gets that nod, but it's a darn good one.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Thanks for the reminder of your theatrical review. This film is taking a beating at some sites, but I really think that it is pretty good overall. I also appreciated that Woo didn't go overboard with the slow motion bit.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Chip
        • Aug 2001

I picked this title up yeasterday, watched it last night. It Definately gave my sytem a workout. How bout those freakin cannon's ??? Wheeeeeew! damn..

Chip Engle

"Concrete ain't a spectator sport"

<a href="http://www.htguide.com/bilder/index.cfm?fuseaction=arkivbilder&userid=0&selected userid=336" target="_blank">My HT
        Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• P-Dub
          Office Moderator
          • Aug 2000

As war films go, the stroy was good, and the perforamnces were good and the sound was great. But there was something when all the parts are put together that I couldn't say that this was a good enough movie for me to own.

I've thought about this a little and maybe I've been desensitized by having seen We Were Soldiers earlier on this year. I rate that movie as great and a must own. I realize we are talking about two totally different periods of time.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
          Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"