X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

Reference DVD (That special one)!!

This would be interesting to know. If you have visitors over and you want to show-off the capabilty of your HT, what track/tracks from what DVD movie do you use?

I like the beginning of Jaurasic Park3 and the THX intro for "The Terminator 2" it scares the hell of people

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
    CLIVE

• Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

For quickies, intro and beginninng of TS2, scenes from SW Ep I.

For longer demos, I let them pick.

BB

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

The beginning of Fifth Element is pretty good for both picture and sound, with lots of low end. I also like the beginning of T2.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Chip
        • Aug 2001

BladeI
        BladeII
        Brotherhood Of The Wolf
        Monster's INC.
        Star Wars Phantom Menace
        Saving Private Ryan
        Gladiator
        Se7en
        Lord Of The Rings
        Moulin Rouge

All these have either great bass, great picture quality, great overall soundtrack or D- all the above

Chip Engle

"Concrete ain't a spectator sport"

<a href="http://www.htguide.com/bilder/index.cfm?fuseaction=arkivbilder&userid=0&selected userid=336" target="_blank">My HT
        Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Good list Chip.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

Some scenes I've used:

For surround effects: Air Force One - when the fighters fly in. My mother in law and grandmother in law still talk about it!

For picture, surround, and bass: Beginning of Toy Story 2, and more recently, the sock scene from Monsters Inc.

For color, picture clarity: The Fifth Element, LeeLoo reconstruction through the jump off the building

Overall sound/surround effects: The Matrix - lobby scene through helicopter crash

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
            My HT Site

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

TERMINATOR 2 SPECIAL EDITION: The opening THX intro is unique and awesome. You've gotta watch it for yourself!
              APOLLO 13 DTS: The launch scene, of course, at full volume. The chapter starts about 20 second before the launch with a tense mood, and as the launch progresses, the music surges and my Klipsch sub wakes the neighbors. Try to watch this one and NOT get goosebumps. I do every time!
              MICHAEL JORDAN TO THE MAX (IMAX): The opening scene has Michael in Chicago's United Center alone, doing his famous free-throw line dunk. As he's halfway to the basket, the camera does a Matrix-style "bullet-time" spin around him hanging in mid air and the sound does the same around you. He finishes with a dunk, and there's the deep bass and music the Bulls used to start each home game. Incredible!
              A BUG'S LIFE: Okay, not for demo, but for me. The whole movie is completely computer generated, and sound too. There's no background noises or any hiss that the makers didn't deliberately put in. Crystal clear!
              DOLBY DIGITAL DEMO DISC: All the Dolby Trailers are great. Bought this one from the Dolby website.
              SUPER SPEEDWAY: Who doesn't use this one? Indy cars zipping around you in sound. Coming out in ever better mixed version very soon!
              THE MATRIX: Everybody's favorite. I love watching the lobby shootout scene.
              U2 RATTLE AND HUM: Something about the song "Bad" on this video played above average volume is so peaceful.
              THE HAUNTING: Erik Farstad pointed out the bass to me on this one. Seems to be a reference setter!
              PHANTOM MENACE - Slightly disappointing on pure movie sound quality! Based on Lucas' extreme hesitancy to produce Star Wars on DVD until it could be perfect, I expected just that...a perfect sound transfer. With my Klipsch speakers, though, they point out EVERY flaw in sound, and there is a little hiss in the soundtrack. I cranked up the sound to go nuts with the opening intro sound blast (thank you, John Williams) and had that annoying little background hiss distracting. Great bass response through the movie. Pissed off my neighbors. HOWEVER, the opening THX intro is top notch. It had the potential to be better than ther Terminator 2 intro, but I thought it was just slightly rushed. About 5-10 second longer and it would have been perfect.
              THE POLICE "GREATEST HITS" DTS CD - Not bad! The first DTS CD I've bought. There is also some background hiss on this that is distracting, but I found "King of Pain" and "Da Doo Doo Doo" to be great versions.
              FIFTH ELEMENT SUPERBIT EDITION - Who doesn't love the Aria scene?

CHRIS
              Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin P
                • Aug 2000

Fifth Element (Superbit) - Leeloo falling, diva scene, battle scenes

Star Wars Episode I: Pod race, lightsaber battles

Monsters Inc: Blowing up the sock (I love the way my sub goes THOOMP!)

Toy Story 2: opening sequence

Air Force One: Fighters flying in

T2: opening, THX trailer

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                My HT Site

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Star Wars - when the Death Star blows up.

JUST KIDDING!!! Checking to see if you are awake. . . . :later: (of course I know it's not out on DVD)

David - HTGuide flunky
                  Our "Theater"
                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Sheesh, you guys are making me want to go fire up all these titles. One at a time, of course... :LOL:

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

I'll add a new one to the list. Star Trek: Nemesis - the space battle chapters are pretty awesome. Excellent PQ and the soundfield is very immersive.

David - HTGuide flunky
                      Our "Theater"
                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Brandon B
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jun 2001

At this point I have switched to pretty much exclusively Ep II AOTC. It's all digital production carries through with my new DVI dvd player to provide the absolute cleanest image my system is capable of, plus it is one of the 2 that can bottom out my sub easily.

Plus the outtakes are good humor. And I LIKE this movie.

BB

Comment

• justin
                          • Feb 2003

Add this one to the list of fine reff disk's U-571 chapter 15 the depth charge scene. One of my favorites is Gladiator in the first battle with the catapults.

jus

Jus

Taking it one day at a time. Life moves quick.
                          Jus

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

I use Twister for the surrounds ("we got cows!") and the lord of the rings is hard to beat for deep bass and good video quality.

Of course the above mentioned T2, 5th E, U571, Toy Story 2, Star wars EP1 & EPII always make the cut. Another I love to watch is the Eagles playing Hotel California from the DTS demo DVD:T

Comment

• Dean McManis
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • May 2003

Many of my favorite demo scenes have already been mentioned like 5th Element Leeloo creation scene, Toy Story 2 -intro, A Bug's Life -during the bird attack, Lost in Space intro (the only value of the disc), the intros of the newer Bond film TWINE, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, SW IV pod racing scene, Final Fantasy -opening scene, Tarzan, where Tarzan first saves Jane. Dragonheart-where the dragon flies around in circles, Shakespeare in Love -CH17-Her Majesty, Mask of Zorro -ch2- Zorro's last ride, Ronin -Car chase scene.

-Dean.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Dean McManis
                                Lost in Space intro (the only value of the disc)
                                I wonder how many copies of that one were sold just to serve as demo discs (since overall, the movie is a major "suck-o-rama"). :>) Furthermore, I wonder how many DVDs any of us have purchased for the sole purpose of using particular scenes in demos since the rest of the movie is disliked or worse?

I have a couple like that, including "Lost In Space"... however, one if them is NOT "Episode 1", because I have enough other discs to demo any aspect of my system that I do not need to Jar-Jar my sensibilities by bringing that disc into my house. I do have "Attack of the Clones", which I did NOT buy just to use for demos, having first confirmed at a commercial theater that the CGI-produced abomination was only onscreen long enough to be missed entirely if you went for popcorn as soon as "it" appeared onscreen. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • May 2003

I'll admit that Lost in Space, and Starship Troopers, among others were bought primarily as demo DVDs. But I came to a point about 3 years ago or so where I stopped buying any DVDs just for picture or sound purposes.

I had "enough" demo DVDs after collecting for 3 years or so, and the DVDs that I bought after that point had to be favorites, or at least have a chance of getting watched a second time.
                                  And not just because it looked or sounded great.

I think that Wild, Wild, West was the last DVD that I bought as a demo-only DVD. ops:

-Dean.

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                                    Former Moderator
                                    • Jan 2002

Originally posted by David Meek
                                    I'll add a new one to the list. Star Trek: Nemesis - the space battle chapters are pretty awesome. Excellent PQ and the soundfield is very immersive.
                                    After watching it last night I strongly agree Mr. Meek. Great sound throughout the whole movie. A must buy too wife's a trekky!!

Some great ones here guys keep 'em coming...................

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• David Meek
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Super Chef Clive
                                      A must buy too, wife's a trekky!!

Wait a minute, you mean there are people of our generation that AREN'T trekkies!?!?!?

David - HTGuide flunky
                                      Our "Theater"
                                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• John Holmes
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Some great ones have been mentioned already. I must be the only person on the planet that really enjoys the "Lost in space" film! :B

Another movie that was a poor TV series-to-movie adaptation was "The Avengers". This is however a "reference" quality disc with excellent video and sound. The chase scene with the flying robotic bugs is a fantastic demo.

Another movie that has incredible visuals is "Space Cowboys"! It is a good film IMO too. But the film has some very good demo stuff.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                                        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                          • Aug 2000

John,

When I got progressive DVD going back in the old days on HTPC, the opening sequence to "Lost in Space" as well as "Fifth Element" were my most frequent demo's. Another old one that has held up well to the test of time is "Craft". For pretty pop flash visuals in a cartoonish sense, but good technical quality, "Charlie's Angels" could be on your guilty pleasures list.

And for those without widescreen, but possessed of razor sharp displays or scaling to high res, the Avril Livigne video DVD is pretty cool- try it scaled to 1280X1024 on a good notebook... and while I'm really getting silly, let's not forget "Final Fantasy"; it's really righteous on a hi rez display.

~Jon

Earth First!
                                          M8ta
                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                          Modula MT XE
                                          Modula Xtreme
                                          Isiris
                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                          Minerva Monitor
                                          Calliope
                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                          Obi-Wan
                                          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                          Modula PWB
                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Brandon B
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Jun 2001

Originally posted by John Holmes
                                            I must be the only person on the planet that really enjoys the "Lost in space" film! :B
                                            Nope. Me and my kid both like it too.

BB
                                            "Mom said I should make more Friends."
                                            "Oh, ha ha."

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2001

I don't think it's all that bad either. But that little girl making videos of herself drove me bonkers.

Picture and sound on this disc is definitely reference.

My Homepage!
                                              My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

Thanks for coming out of the closet in support gentlemen! :rf

George,

I agree with you about "Penny Cam"! It and the little CGI creature that becomes a pet could have been left out of the film. However, for pure scf-fi action, this film is hard to beat. And it was suppose to be corny so I'll never understand it being taken seriously.

This disc still floors me with it's "reference PQ & sound.

Jon,

Yes, the "Charlie's Angel " disc is another great disc. I enjoyed it as well.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                                                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • May 2003

For me, that was the travesty. Making it corny.
                                                  They have some talented actors, yet they give them TV-level crap to speak, and try to mask that shortcoming with some cool CGI special effects.

Lost in Space was all about hitting the teen market, product placement ads, and selling toys.

Imagine (for a second) if Lost in Space had been done with the same attention to story and character as Stargate, The Matrix, or T2. As a serious Sci Fi film.

The PennyCam, stupid fake CG monkey toy, the silly TV quips, Bug's warning flares, and gaping plot holes, plagued the movie. And it can never be more than it was. Like Wild, Wild, West.

I see these movies not merely as crap, because they were after all designed as extended TV-show, popcorn flicks.

But I see them as another huge missed opportunity, thwarted by the short-term-greedy, business-side of Hollywood. ops:

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

Hello Dean,

I agree! Well not totally. :LOL:

I think that "LIS" was a missed opportunity for the studio to develope this into a serious contendor for the sci-fi genre. I do believe that they decided to stick more to what the tv-series designed target was.

The "LIS" tv show was very cheesy. I even recall Bill Mummy making light of how they sometimes had the same creatures from "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" appear on "LIS" with little to no alteration..

I see this being no different than "Batman" from the 60's. Both were quite corny even in there time. But, when "Batman" came to the big screen, the "Dark Knight" adaptation was used instead.

IMO, "Wild, Wild, West" the tv-series had very reaching stories and gadgets ( though I enjoyed it). When the movie with Will Smith was done, I think they did an excellent job of bringing the exact over-the top items to the big screen. I think "WWW" failed for a ton of other reasons. A lot of which circulates around Will Smith.

The PennyCam, stupid fake CG monkey toy, the silly TV quips, Bug's warning flares, and gaping plot holes, plagued the movie. And it can never be more than it was. Like Wild, Wild, West.
                                                    Okay true enough, the "Bunny" flares was a bit much too! ;x(

It's still a demo disc though. :T

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Jun 2001

Actually, if you watch the pilot for the orignial LIS TV series, it is amazingly non-corny, and contains hints of actual science.

Then begins the slide . . .

Mimi Rogers' cryo-suit. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

BB

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • May 2003

Yeah, I have the original Lost in Space shows on VHS tape, and the early B&W ones including the pilot had Dr.Smith as a truly evil saboteur.

I thought that Gary Oldman played him pretty well that way in LIS, but it was the MANY other flaws that ruined the movie for me.

Despite the cool intro scene.

-Dean.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Aug 2000

Just so I don't pick what has already been picked, These are some of my favorites.

Shakespere in Love. Gorgeous over all, but scene with Judi Dench's Peacock outfit is stunning.

Undercover Brother, color and image quality throughout is fantastic.

The Rock Criterion edition, nuff said

Star Trek Insurection or anyt Star Trek

Contact, Opening scene and when Airoway enters the pod

Vertical Limit, for the panoramas

So many more that I can't think off, however the staples would be those aready mentioned by you all.

Bing
                                                          Bing

Comment

• justin
                                                            • Feb 2003

Dean

I agree about gary oldman in playing Dr. Smith. He seemed to be very evil in that part. I didn't see the spider coming - that he turned in too.

jus

Jus

Jus

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                                                              Former Moderator
                                                              • Jan 2002

Lost in space opening scene's way cool, actually it was from recommendations on this forum why I bought the movie.

Does any-one use the Dolby digital, DTS and THX intros provided on the Sound and Vision HT setup DVD?

I am surprised no-one mentioned "The Haunting".

Anyone here have a personalized DVD made for them?

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Uncle Clive
                                                                I am surprised no-one mentioned "The Haunting".
                                                                Maybe not in this thread, but I mentioned it in "Guilty pleasures or just plain FUN DVDs?" http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/inde...artRow=1&CFB=1

Didn't say much about it, but we did mention it. :>)

Burke

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Aug 2000

There is no doubt that "The Haunting" meets the demo disc for sound. When it was released, it was the disc to beat for deep gut pounding bass. I feel that now, quite a few disc have become bottom feeders of equal depth.

Now the disc that shocks me that has not been mentioned is Super Speedway. Anytime that I want to leave someone's jaw in the "locked open" postion, this is the disc that I use. Any of the race scene's will do it but, the intro alone is usually enough! :B

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2000

Uhmm ..... Chris had mentioned "The Haunting" and "SuperSpeedway" :roll:

Bing
                                                                    Bing

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Aug 2000

bing wrote:
                                                                      Uhmm ..... Chris had mentioned "The Haunting" and "SuperSpeedway"
                                                                      Uh...yeah, what Chris said! :yeah: :B

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                                                                        Former Moderator
                                                                        • Jan 2002

Ooops my bad. Burke is always there to set me straight hmm!?

Sorry Chris flew right through that one. Good titles guys.

Still interested to find out if anyone has a personalized DVD.

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                                                                          Former Moderator
                                                                          • Jan 2002

Double clicked!

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                            Moderator
                                                                            • Sep 2001
                                                                            • 3161

Clive --

You're going to "love" this: -- that URL for the "personalized DVDs" yields a message "The page cannot be displayed" -- I've tried to access it a couple of different times and got the same result.

But rather than have someone else make a DVD for me, I've "rolled my own" with some video footage I took with a digital HandiCam, using a DVD burner and software included with the PC I bought last year. The MPEG2 rendering in software is VERY slow... you really need a specialized MPEG2 conversion board for that. And the resulting DVD+RW is not playable on some older DVD players, such as my original Sony DVP-S7000, but it plays just fine on a more recent Pioneer model. The PC is great for video editing, but I think most people will find that making a DVD with a stand-alone DVD recorder to be a lot easier than trying to do it on a PC.

Burke

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                                                                              Former Moderator
                                                                              • Jan 2002
                                                                              • 919

#39
                                                                              Now you have my attention!!! I have one personalized DVD but would want to have more so that I can choose based on the invites. I am not sure I follow, when you mentioned about a stand alone DVD recorder are you referring to a stand alone PC base recorder? OR are all DVD recorders able to connect to a PC for a final burn after editing?

Excuse my ignorance!

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                                Moderator
                                                                                • Sep 2001
                                                                                • 3161

#40
                                                                                when you mentioned about a stand alone DVD recorder are you referring to a stand alone PC base recorder? OR are all DVD recorders able to connect to a PC for a final burn after editing?
                                                                                I was referring to a DVD recorder in a case like a "standard" DVD player, not a PC-based unit.

Presumably if your PC has audio and video outputs that could feed the DVD recorder "real time", it should work fine. The PC would be where you assemble the digital video and audio content, add special effects, titles, etcetera, and then you would burn the DVD with the recorder as if you were recording from a tape or the TV.

Note that I haven't actually tried that, since my DVD burner is built into my PC. But you can bet that the next DVD recorder I buy will be a stand-alone unit, not PC-based.

Burke

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                                                                                  Former Moderator
                                                                                  • Jan 2002
                                                                                  • 919

#41
                                                                                  Thanks for clearing that up.
                                                                                  I am sure we can manipulate the video easily but how about the audio? Will the DVD recorder and/or PC software, transfer the audio in its original format (DD, DTS or Dolby Surr.) Did your pre-pro prossess the audio correctly?

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                                    Moderator
                                                                                    • Sep 2001
                                                                                    • 3161

#42
                                                                                    Will the DVD recorder and/or PC software, transfer the audio in its original format (DD, DTS or Dolby Surr.)
                                                                                    Probably not the answer you were hoping for, but DVD recorders typically only record audio in two channels, whether PC-based or stand-alone. This was done on purpose to help "prevent" unauthorized copying of movies. Presumably none of us has the capability to produce DD 5.1 or DTS soundtracks on our own home videos yet.

So unless you use a specially-hacked program to manipulate the sound, you will not get DD 5.1 or DTS on you self-made DVD, regardless of the source of the audio. (However, those programs are out there and reputedly work, so I'm told.) I have a Dolby trailer that is, in effect, just Dolby ProLogic as re-recorded, but with Dolby Prologic II in my pre/pro, it sounds startlingly close to the 5.1 original.

Burke

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                                                                                      Former Moderator
                                                                                      • Jan 2002
                                                                                      • 919

#43
                                                                                      Oh well, it still worth a try.

I haven't checked but for all the DVDs mentioned above can you guys say whether or not they are all of a particular format DTS or THX etc. Does it really matter?
                                                                                      I tend to use tracks that are DTS or THX certified I am not sure if the THX soundtracks have significant advantage over Dolby Digital and/or DTS.

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Dec 2000
                                                                                        • 16877

#44
                                                                                        I'll refer you to a discussion thread of mine that's been running off and on for a few years over on the Klipsch forum. Some good thoughts there.

Click on:

CHRIS
                                                                                        Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                                                                                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                                                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                                                                                          Former Moderator
                                                                                          • Jan 2002
                                                                                          • 919

#45
                                                                                          Thanks Chris for the link. Gentlemen although we may have a few DVDs that we'd use but which is that special ONE that has done it for you every-time. The ONE which you've watched over and over just to feel and see the effects. C'mon you know which one it is

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"