X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

X-Men SE

Well looks like it's official. There will be a new edition of the X-Men coming out Feb 11, 2003.

It'll be a 2 disc set with DD and DTS. 24 deleted scenes and a commentary with Singer and actors Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan and Hugh Jackman.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Thanks for the heads-up Paul. Sounds like a no-brainer purchase to me!

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

From what I got from the info on Amazon's website, it looks like this is going to be billed as "X-Men 1.5". I don't think it's going to have any difference in sound or quality for the video, just different extras. If so, you can count me out.

CHRIS
      Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

The extras are never of all that much interest to me. I have so many titles where I haven't watched the extra features, or the second disc, that I would have to live two lifetimes to watch them all. As for X-Men. Well the PQ of the original is good enough for me. To be honest, I really never was a big X-Men fan. I just loved the special effects and the gals.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Chris, according to Widescreen Review magazine, it is going to have a DTS 5.1 soundtrack. No word yet on enhanced PQ or not.

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I read that the PQ is the same as the original. In addition to the extras and the DTS track, there is also suppose to be a coupon towards "X-men 2" theatrical presentation.

I plan to purchase for the DTS (just to compare) and the coupon.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Unless that DTS track is from a different master, at full bit rate or boosted somehow I doubt it will be worth it to me to swap my current copy to the new one. As george said I rarely have time to watch the material on the second discs so unless there's something really great about a reissue I rarely bite...in fact I think the only reissue I've ever bought was Twister

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                • Sep 2001

I cannot imagine a situation where I would buy a reissue JUST to get "extras", especially in a case like this where I already have the original release DVD. Like George, I have a ton of movies already in hand for which I have not watched the extras. (Heck, I've got a fairly hefty stack where I haven''t even watched the movie yet.) So I am sure not planning to fork over for another DVD set to add to the unwatched-extras pile. :>)

And while I have bought a few DTS releases after having bought the original DD (Saving Private Ryan, Men In Black and Jurassic Park come to mind) I don't plan to ever do that again, either. While on comparison I may even slightly prefer the DTS soundtrack, if I have only heard the DD version, I can be quite satisfied with it. (Clearly prefering DTS has only happened for me on Men In Black, and later with JP3 when they were having the DD dropout problem with EX on a few titles on my pre/pro, which has been resolved with the latest upgrade by the way).

As stunning as the video, sound, and WonderBras :>) were in X-Men, I cannot imagine a reissue improving significantly in any of those areas, so I'll just hang onto the copy of X-Men that is currently in my DVD jukebox. :>) It was different with the Criterion releases of Spartacus and The Rock where the picture in particular went from "blurry"(Beuna Vista release) to "beautiful" (Criterion release). That is when buying a reisuue is justified -- in my pocket book, anyway. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Feb 2002

Ah yes but for people like me who were slow to get this the first time around, we benefit from getting the movie ticket to X2. Apparantly the free coupon is included and makes this a "no-brainer" for me.

***Edit****
                  oops I see John already mentioned the coupon ops:
                  Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"