X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Panic Room a nail-biter

I don't know if this film will live up to the re-watchability factor for everyone, but I guarantee the first time you view it, you will be holding onto the edge of your seat.

Jody Foster and daughter have just movied into this huge NY ( house, mansion, duplex, ???) and it contains a Panic Room, completely outfitted with closed circuit surveilence and other necessities to hide from burgulars. Well first night and there are burgulars and all hell breaks loose. Foster and daughter make it to the safety room, but there are all kinds of problems that I won't reveal.
    This is Superbit and the disc has little in extras. This is a dark and shadowy film, so many have questioned the value of offering it in Superbit. But I saw a lot of detail in many of those darker scenes that may not have been visible in a standard disc . There are a few daylight scenes and these are magnificent. The cheap packaging is also creating a bit of controversy, but it didn't bother me too much.

Some good acting here, especially by Country singer Dwight Yoakam as a real baddie. Also stars Forrest Whitaker and Jared Leto as the other two burgulars. I don't recall the name of the young girl who plays Foster's daughter, but she is one heckuva good little actress.

I'd give it 3 and a half stars.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I saw this last Friday and was really impressed with the whole movie.

One of the cool shots was how they did the openning credits. Ya it's a small thing, but I thought that was well done, and the rest of the movie didn't disapoint.

Okay, there's one bit that I'm still trying to figure out, and that's how the ending happened. How the heck did the cops know to come storming in? Other than that I really enjoyed the movie.

Presentation wise, I had the pleasure of viewing it on a Mits 46" widescreen via a progressive scan Toshiba 6200. Wow, the picture quality was excellent. Yeah, there's lots of blacks, but I have to agree with George that there was a treamendous amount of detail. The audio side was no slouch either. I just love rain in a surround system.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Yeah, Paul, that bit about the police has me stumped, too.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• efarstad
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2001

I got scared while watching it with Paul, and I called the cops! Sorry.... :P

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

You're a riot, E.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"