X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Replaced a laserdisc and ... wow

I've owned ID4 since it was relased on laserdisc. Several times I was going to replace it with a dvd, but kept putting it off. Well I finally did the thing and spun the dvd last night. Difference in picture quality betwen laserdisc and dvd ? Like night and day. I was absolutley floored by the image on the dvd. Next on my replacement list ? The Die Hard triology.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

That's an amazing coincidence -- I played the DVD of ID4 last night as well. More to try out the audio part of my system than the video, since I just got a critical audio component back from upgrading a couple of days ago. Like you, I had first bought this movie when it came out on LD. And ID4's picture on DVD is stellar, as is the sound. Unfortunately the plot and acting didn't improve going from LD to DVD. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Burke, whadja upgrade, the RDC-7? Back OT. . . .

Never having had the LD I can't make a comparison, but the DVD has always been one of my favorite demo choices based on picture and sound quality.

Unfortunately the plot and acting didn't improve going from LD to DVD

Now THAT would be an enhancement!

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
        Burke, whadja upgrade, the RDC-7? . . .
        Good guess. For the "play by play" on how that went, check out the active thread over at:

The RDC-7's Dolby Digital EX and THX Ultra 2 processing really make ID4's alien invasion sound incredible. (Well, actually, the whole movie is kind of incredible.) :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Regarding the difference between ld and dvd of ID4. On smaller screens it may not appear to be a huge difference, but on a big screen, say 8 feet wide, the ld has a very soft, unresolved picture. My Sony VPL400 has the same native resolutioon as dvd, so it is a very unforgiving projector when it comes to a source other than dvd. Now not all lds are that soft. The Fifth Element had an excellent picture for LD but not as good as the Superbit dvd that I replaced it with. On the other had, Lawrence of Arabia was very soft on LD and sharp as heck on dvd. But I wouldn't be replacing these lds if my viewing source was a 36 inch or smaller direct view tv.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"