X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

These are not your typical vampires

Watched NEAR DARK last night. First time since I saw it at the theater in 1987. It's directed by James Cameron's EX, Kathryn Bigelow, so you had to know it would be different, and it is. It stars a young Bill Paxton and Lance Henrikson, and a couple of other names you may not know, but will recall when you see their faces. I won't say much here other than urge you to see this one if you like horror with a twist, particularly on vampires. No fangs or garlic or crucifixs in this. These folks are what real vampires would be like... if vampires were real.

Most of this film is shot at night, but the picture quality is excellent. It has both a DD 5.1 and a DTS track. I played the DTS track and felt the sound was just not up to scratch. Very little low end, but it sure sounded good when Tangerine Dream background music kicked in.

This film has become a cult favorite, and a must own for serious collectors.

The ending of this baby is a bit of a stretch, but if you've bought the rest of the story, you'll accept this.

BTW, this is a 2 disc set from Anchor Bay. I haven't watch the EXTRA disc yet, but am looking forward to it.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Ooooh, Tangerine Dream? The soundtrack just jumped to the head of the "to buy" list. Pant, pant - love their music!

George, you are the second person in a couple of days that has recommended this title. As I love vampire flicks, I guess I'm going to BestBuy at lunch. Thanks!

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

This one's really different, Tex. But I'd bet dollars to donuts you'll like it. You'll also want to watch the EXRAS on disc two. That Lance Henriksen is quite a character.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I'll be sure to check it out.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Yeah, I've liked Lance Henriksen for a long time. I knew he'd been in several movies, but. . .

Dog Day Afternoon
          Network
          Close Encounters
          Damien: Omen II
          The Right Stuff
          The Terminator
          Jagged Edge
          Aliens
          Alien3
          Near Dark
          Stone Cold
          Color Of Night
          The Quick And The Dead
          Powder

and that's not the full list, just my favorites. Busy man.

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Yeah, busy is right. A very intense actor.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I just got 'Near Dark" in from Netflix. I'll be checking it out this week.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Let us know wht you think, John.

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I finally watched Near Dark. What an interesting movie! I liked it even though it wasn't what I was expecting - even after George spelled it out. Picture quality was good but not great - the detail level we are used to with today's mega-movies isn't available, but the image is VERY clean with no artifacting (Panasonic RP-91 progressive DVD player, component out to a 58" Pioneer Elite 16:9). The colors are also somewhat muted, but I feel that is deliberate and in keeping with the storyline. The sound is not bad for such an unknown film - surprisingly a DTS-track is available. Even though it doesn't go terribly low or get really exciting, it's clear and dialog is quite understandable. The soundtrack by Tangerine Dream is a plus, even though it's not some of their better work.

Plot wise, one thing is nagging at me though: MAJOR SPOILER! Only one little transfusion was enough to cure the son and the girlfriend? Or, did I miss something? I kinda felt like I was watching a dry run for Aliens, as it stars Lance Henriksen, Jenette Goldstein and Bill Paxton. 'Course Bill Paxton was (typically) Bill Paxton playing Bill Paxton.

It's worth a :3: out of :5:.

David - HTGuide flunky
                  Our "Theater"
                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Oh man, my PC went down right after I got this movie and I forgot to give my POV! (Sorry George) ops:

I'm pretty much online with David on the film (especially the spoiler). The technical parts was was pretty much in-line with the era of the film. However, I recall being more engrossed with the movie, when I saw it at it's release. It was scary back then. :B

Thanks for bringing this back up David.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Yeah, I figured you fellas would have some trouble with the ending. But in the spirit of any and all vampire movies, I went with the flow.

And yeah, Aliens must have been like a homecoming for the three mentioned by Tex.

My Homepage!
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

You're right George, with most films, if you are to enjoy it, you better be able to just let go and flow with the story. And I did enjoy this film. I just wished for a better ending.

'Course Bill Paxton was (typically) Bill Paxton playing Bill Paxton.
                        Yeah, even when he tried to be tough and serious in "U-571", I still could only see the "typical" Paxton character coming through. I could only laugh. Good film though!

Comment

• Danbry39
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Sep 2002

Can't recall ever hearing of it, but I really want to see it after all the comments...maybe even tonight.

Keith
                          Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

Let us know what you think of it, Keith.

My Homepage!
                            My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Sep 2002

Finally!!! Got around to watching it tonight. After the first 20 or so minutes, I thought I might have to give a kind of not so bad, but not so good review. I did like the Western, small town feel to the opening setting, but wasn't all that engrossed with the characters. Nonetheless, I persisted and am glad I did. First, you have to suspend belief and logic at several points in the film, even if you accept the fact that it's a vampire film (there are so many different variations on vampires and their powers/characteristics). But, that's what excapism is all about and I like to get lost in a film and, unless the film is bad otherwise, fall into the premise being offered. The bar scene and the motel scene thereafter are what really sucked (pun not intended) me into the film. Although some of the characters were static, I found others extremely dynamic, especially the boy...I decided not to give the specifics as it would give away too much of the film to anyone who hasn't seen it. As for the huge leaps of logic being discussed, all I can say is that they indeed require you to accept vampire lore being very much revamped (pun intended this time). I really didn't mind much though. In fact, I really enjoyed the film. Not extremely frightening to me, but all too entertaining. And, once again, that boy intrigued me to no end. Love having the option of DTS. Hate the fact that Blockbuster didn't include the second disc being referred to.

By the way, when I say boy, I mean the young boy that is part of the vampire pack. I kept wondering what his history was and if somehow the protagonist's sister had provoked some sort of feelings from his former self.

Thanks for the suggestion George.

Keith
                              Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2001

Nice review, Keith. Yeah, that kid intrigued me too.

My Homepage!
                                My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"