X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Belgarath
    • Jan 2003

RB1050 or RB1070 for 7.1 system

Hello everybody, I am new to this forum.
    I would appreciate you thoughts on the following:

My 5.1 setup consists of:
    Sony STR-VA555ES Receiver (6x100W)
    B&W DM603 S3 Fronts
    B&W DM601 S3 Surrounds
    B&W LCR60 Center
    B&W ASW650 Sub

I want to expand this system with 2 surround-rear speakers, according to the manual of the Sony receiver, it can decode 7.1, but can only drive 6.1.
    For 7.1 I need an extra power-amplifier for the 2 surround-rear speakers.

I was thinking either the Rotel RB1050 or the RB1070 would suffice to drive 2 B&W DM 601 S3's.

What are you thoughts on this combination?

Belgarath
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Welcome to the forum!

Can that receiver reroute any of its internal amps to power the rears? If so I'd pick up the best power amp you can and use that to power the front's rather then the rears. If it can't I might suggest you look at some of the budget 5 channel amps (even used ones are good picks) and use three channels to power the front three speakers and the remaining two to power the back two which would leave the sides for the receiver to power. This would be your best option since nearly any true power amp will have better sound quality then the receiver

Comment

• sndtowne
      • Jan 2003

Hi Belgarath ,

I think the RB-1050 would be plenty, and a good match for the Sony's power. Seventy watts of "Rotel power" is pretty much the equivalent of 100 watts Sony power. (See my post about power ratings under the "Rotel RSX-1055 vs. Marantz SR-7300" thread.)

Andrew has a great idea but I don't believe this Sony ES receiver allows for any channel redirection, and I think the RB-1070 would be overkill for surrounds. I have used the RB-1050 to power 7.1 surrounds with the Rotel RSX-1065 receiver (100 WPC) and it worked great.

By the way, there is no 7.1 decoding, only 6.1. The 7.1 outputs are mono. All you are doing is adding a second rear center speaker. Both get exactly the same signal.

That's a nice system you've got. I have B&W speakers too.

Bruce
      Bruce

Comment

• Smith
        • Jan 2003

Get rid of the Sony ES and get you a Rotel RSP1066 and the Rotel amps to compliment your speakers.I'd put the Rotel RMB1066 (60w x 6) up against the Sony 555 anytime. It will blow the doors off the Sony. Cleaner, quieter, and overall a better piece.

I have not been impressed with the ES receivers performance.

Smith

Comment

• sndtowne
          • Jan 2003

The RMB1066 IS an amazing little amp. And I think often overlooked in the rush to "mega power." But I have found that its 60 WPC (X6) is able to drive speakers far better than the 100-120 WPC internal power amps of ANY of the Japanese receivers. It sounds better too.

Bruce
          Bruce

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"